News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Re:Highlands Links: Very, very special
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2006, 09:01:08 AM »
Pictures: Check out Ran's write up and pictures in the courses by country on the left margain. His pictures capture it perfectly :)
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Eric Olsen

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2006, 09:15:07 AM »
I agree that it is an excellent and accurate write up of the course!  

Robert Thompson

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2006, 10:11:02 AM »

Maybe... but there ain't no 5-hour rounds at Dornoch!
'

And there aren't many at Highlands Links. Ben Cowan and I played there two weeks ago in three hours. The day before was 4:15.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 09:10:04 AM »
I just reread Ran's write up and was shocked to learn that the bumps and lumps in the fairway were MAN MADE, not the big waves in the ground, but Thompson had his crew of 200 pile rocks in the fairway to create these.

Absolutely fasinating!!!!!!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom Forsythe

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2006, 10:48:09 PM »
The pace and walk was fine when we played last year, even after a bike trip along the Cabot Trail!  I like the explanation about the unfolding of the various sections of the course, which makes perfect sense given the feel of a round there.  Anyone know how late in the year the season goes up there?
[As a former GM of Highlands I thought it would be fitting it my first post with GCA was a response to a Highlands post. Typically the course will stay open until the latter part of October. If you are into spectacular fall colours that don't bring the dreaded leaf rule into play a visit to Highlands in mid September until mid October can be a treat. It is also generally the time the course will be at its best from a conditioning perspective and the traffic will be less problematic. It is well worth the trip.]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back