News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Vesper Country Club
« on: August 27, 2006, 12:11:58 PM »
Just wondering what the prevailing thoughts on Vesper Country Club (Ross, 1919) were. I have an oppurtunity to see and play the course and want to know what sort of "Ross" this is.

By the design era, I am expecting shorter and quirky along the lines of Lulu.

SPDB

Re:Vesper Country Club
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 12:50:59 PM »
Kyle - I've played Vesper a number of times, and like it. The most unique thing about the course is the routing. The clubhouse and a number of holes sit on Tyngs Island in the Merrimack River. Holes 1-3 15-18 are on the island, 5-13 are on the mainland. Holes 4 and  14 are par 3s that cross the channel separating Tyngs Island from the mainland.

The routing remains exactly the same as Ross left it (he built two nines separated by ~10 years). A number of centerline bunkers (mostly of the duffer's headache variety) have been removed. The greens are very tricky in spots, but expect good rolls (this is where Vesper Velvet bent strain was developed). Generally Ross used the roll of the land very well, notably on holes #2, 5, 11 and 18. #15 has a cool feature - a deep trench of fairway running down most of the right hand side.

I'm attaching a pic of the routing from the 1925 50th Anniversary book. The hole numbering has changed.

Enjoy and take some pics for us.

T_MacWood

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 01:16:05 PM »
I thought Seymour Dunn had something to do with Vesper...or was it Alex Findlay?

SPDB

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 01:56:56 PM »
Tom - I believe that Findlay designed the original 9 holer on Tyngs Island. I know Ross did a wholesale renovation, so I'm not sure what remains of the Findlay work.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 02:17:32 PM »
If this is Vesper CC in Mass, there is a superintendent's postions available here. The posting on GCSAA says that following...
  "Vesper Country Club was founded in 1875 and is reported by the USGA to be the fifth oldest private golf club in the nation. The club is located 30 miles north of Boston. Vesper traditionally is renowned for its excellent playing conditions. Vesper has recently installed a state of the art irrigation system.

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

T_MacWood

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 03:09:16 PM »
Sean
I take it Ross redesigned the course in 1919. What year was the first nine built?

Sean_Tully

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 03:35:11 PM »
A quick article on the course via google....

The meat of the article is about 1/2 way down.

What golf was like 100 years ago
at my boyhood course.

By ROBERT SULLIVAN

I remember it like it was 45 years ago. Which it was.

My brother Kevin and I were in the first proper tee-box of our then-young lives. We had played some pitch-and-putt with Mom and Dad earlier, and had been to the driving range in Nashua more than once. But this was different. That first hole at Vesper Country Club in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts, a verdant fairway winding to the horizon before us, was a grown-up-sized par-4. Kevin and I peered through the early-morning gloaming of a humid summer’s day and were thrilled, nervous, and way too small. Even though Vesper’s venerable club pro, Dave Hackney, had given us a quick lesson after selling Mom two sets of cut-down irons, two cut-down putters, and two white-canvas Sunday bags (probably $25 for the whole), there was little hope that these sticks and Mr. Hackney’s tips would propel either of us to the green in single figures. Kevin went adventuring down the left side of the fairway, while I trundled up the right, balfing and scalfing my way towards yonder pin, then five- or-six-putting to complete the hole. Vesper is known throughout the Greater Lowell golfing community for its large, undulating, firm greens—but I’m not making excuses here. I was altogether amazed that the putting stroke that worked so very well for me in mini-golf was so ineffective in this, the “big show.”

And so Kevin and I moved off to hole No. 2, a monster par-4 that devoured us; hole No. 3, with that ball-sucking willow tree on the right; hole No. 4, the par-3 across a sliver of the Merrimack (Vesper is half on an island in mid-river and half on “the mainland”); hole No. 5, the huge uphill par-5; hole No. 6.…

Well, I think we quit after five. Or during.

What prompted this reminiscence? It was news that came to me earlier this year that the centennial Massachusetts Amateur was staged at Vesper, precisely a hundred years after the tournament debuted on those same hallowed holes as the Massachusetts Open Championship in 1905. The information, conveyed to me in New York by folks “back home,” spurred a wave of nostalgia. My first golf course… family-doubles tennis… swim team… Mike, Jimmy, and the guys… the Scannell sisters, the Donahue girls.…

Still, I wanted to look back at Vesper and contemplate the club.

What was golf like, back when? What was it like in 1905 at Tyngs Island, when the best golfers in the land drove across the rattling wood bridge and arrived at Vesper’s stolid clubhouse, ready to launch a new tournament?

While the various Yonkerses and Oakhursts and Brooklines and Newports and Montreals of golf were part of the late 19th-century invasion on the North American shores, Vesper was not quite part of that first bloom of fairways—not as a golf club, at least. Even as hackers were hacking out the first nines and 18s on those other sites, Vesper was getting itself organized as a boat club. It was formed on April 9, 1875, by a group of enthusiasts whose first edict was to buy a four-oared boat. By decade’s end these gents were ensconced in their clubhouse, holding annual regattas in sculls and canoes, throwing dinner-dances, bowling, and playing competitive billiards in the basement.

Even before the boat club was formed, Tyngs Island was a popular stopping place for outings and picnics; Henry David Thoreau lunched there himself with his brother and described it in A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers. The short of it is, the Vesper boatmen set their sites on the attractive parcel, and eventually bought it. In 1894 they laid out a splendid bicycling oval on land that is now part of the third fairway—they became state champs in cycling—and built baseball diamonds, too.

According to One Hundred Years at Vesper (Brendan D. Leahey), in 1895, members received a memo that Mr. Lloyd of the Essex, Massachusetts, golf course would be on the island to discuss the burgeoning new sport. Persuaded by Lloyd, “the Executive Committee decided to lay out a course of six ‘links.’ These links were improved during the year and were in constant use almost immediately; and on holidays there has barely been room for members who wanted to play, and it would be advisable to add three more links and thus make a regulation number and by so doing, do away with the interference.” A pine grove on the island was targeted, and Vesper quickly had its nine.

The committee further noted that “Golf has come to stay and last year (1896) it was the principal attraction on the island. In fact, at present it is the only game which Vesper Country Club has brought into prominence.” This was a nod to rare slumps by the club’s bowlers and bikers as well as the continued futility by its ballplayers, coupled with wins in golf over teams from nearby Concord, Lexington, and Salem.

“An attempt at sheep grazing on the Vesper course apparently aroused no enthusiasm,” Dr. Leahey writes. “In the 1897 records we read, ‘The sheep at Vesper will be ready for market by November 1, and any member wishing to purchase some Vesper mutton may do so.’ ”

Other things, too, were tried and then decided against. But Vesper’s golfers behaved in properly New England, puritanical fashion, and golf flourished on Tyngs Island, where the great Briton Harry Vardon visited in 1900 for an exhibition. In 1903, the Massachusetts Golf Association was founded, and Vesper became a charter member. In 1904, golf was status quo at the club, while automobiling was added as an official Vesper recreation.

And then, in 1905, the inaugural Golf Championship came to Vesper. It was won by none other than Donald Ross, the émigré Scot who remains today the most famous course designer. Ross, who was then based in Massachusetts—the move to Pinehurst would come later—played Vesper several times, as did many a Bay State native of skill (Francis Ouimet comes to mind). In fact, Ross would return to Tyngsboro in 1917 to design Vesper’s second nine holes, reshape the originals, and create the course that Kevin and I sampled 45 years ago—and that still entertains today. But it is a footnote from 1905 that I’ve found that speaks to the times—and that shows Vesper had the egalitarian spirit, and helped the game grow to the mammoth and popular enterprise it is today. This, from the Annual Meeting report:

“Resolved: that the members of the Vesper Country Club view with apprehension the tendency to increase the price of golf balls, as being calculated to hamper the enjoyment of the game by persons classified as players and to discourage accession to them in numbers. The golf committee is requested to consider the expediency of handicapping by not less than 1/2 a stroke per hole any ball retailing at more than 50 cents each and is authorized to take such action as may be deemed necessary to give effect to such action.”

Nike’s worst nightmare: paying the penalty for making golfers pay extra. Those were the days!

SPDB

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 05:15:09 PM »
Tom - As I remember it, Donald Ross redesigned the island nine pretty early on (i think it was around '09-'12), and returned to add  nine on the mainland in '19. As it stands now, there are 7 holes on the island, 9 on the mainland portion and 2 par 3's that cross from island to mainland. The 9 hole course that existed prior to Ross, I believe, was contained to the island (so 2 Findlay holes must have been eliminated)

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 06:51:35 PM »
What's with the short par 3s over water right next to each other?    While the holes are oriented in the opposite direction, is this the best routing possible?

SPDB

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 07:05:38 PM »
Wayne - That's kind of a tough question to ask in the abstract. Remember, when the holes on the mainland were built, they were incorporating existing holes on the island. THe holes look similar but they play very differently. 4 is a very short hole ~125 yards, while 14 (playing in the opposite direction) plays closer to 190. The existence of the road that crosses behind the 4th green and 14th tee makes other options somewhat impracticable.

wsmorrison

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 07:24:45 PM »
Sean,

The drawing you posted, if drawn to scale, sure looks like the holes were at some point of very similar length.  Perhaps they don't play that way today.  

I can see that the road limits the length of the hole with the green on the island and the tee by the road (4th?).  Is the longer hole (the 14th) the one with the green on the mainland?  It looks likes there was room to move the tee back and that is how it was lengthend over time.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 10:00:56 PM »
Kyle;
I haven't played but I believe you'll enjoy it due to a few quirks. I've heard 2 things:
1) Its supposed to be in unique proximity to the Merrimack River and should provide some intruigue.
2) Its the home to Vesper Bent - I'll let the agronomy folks chime in here but its a unique kind of spongy, almost moss like grass that when well conditioned is one of the best putting surfaces you'll find.
Let us know how you enjoyed your trip!
Chip

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back