News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

GregRamsay

Islay bound, from Bruichladdich to Machrie
« on: August 24, 2006, 02:01:23 AM »
I'm heading over to Islay for some whisky researching, and as well as a few drams of Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Bowmore and Laphroaig (not to mention Bruichladdich of course) i'm hoping to squeeze in a few holes at Machrie (i arrive late in the day and will probably get in 1.5hours).  

I should be able to play 12-15holes in this time, and was wondering whether people feel there is a particularly strong stretch of holes that i should make a bee-line for.

sincerely

Greg Ramsay
greg@rathogolf.com

peter_p

Re:Islay bound, from Bruichladdich to Machrie
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 03:06:55 AM »
Greg,
There are three loops you can miss. You can skip 1-5, and start on the 6th. This misses the 2nd which invites the cutting of a dog leg. You can skip 4-6. You can skip 11-13. Of the these 11-13 is the best to skip based on the course I played in 2000.  They have made some changes since then, so check with the pro-shop. You might check if the owner has expanded to other courses.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 03:31:19 AM »
I was on Islay (as a guest of Bowmore...). I was supposed to play the course, but...

And don't forget Caol Ila and Bunnahabhain. There's also a new farmhouse distillery open, but I'm not sure if it has whisky mature enough to drink yet.
John Marr(inan)

GregRamsay

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 11:20:23 PM »
Thanks Peter and Jack, on your advice i'll head straight to the 6th tee and should be able to play the rest of the course in a pleasant rush.  I can't wait to see Machrie, its intrigued me ever since i first laid eyes on its rumpled fairways in Cornish and Whittens 'The Golf Course' (i wonder how many of our Golf Architecture loins were first stirred by that book!) and recall reading a few years later that Faldo enquired about buying the course.

Jack, how did you get to be a guest of Bowmore- did they need you for a photoshoot?  The farm distillery you refer to is Kilchoman.  We are looking forward to learning lots from these smaller distilleries (including Edradour) to assist us with the establishment of our own distillery and whisky experience here in Tasmania's highlands, in a colonial flour mill (est.1823) that we are restoring.

Thanks again

Greg

peter_p

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 11:29:44 PM »
Greg,
Have fun. I hope they put you out with someone with course knowledge.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 04:34:20 AM »
Greg,
good luck with the Tazzie Whisky endeavour. Is there any peat or seaweed in that part of the world?

Also be sure to visit the original Ratho (near Edinburgh) and Bothwell (near Glasgow) while you are here.

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back