News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Phinney

Update on Royal Montrose Erosion
« on: August 15, 2006, 06:03:57 AM »
I'm sorry to have missed much of recent discussions on this site, but I've been busy finishing a BBC radio documentary on the erosion on Montrose Beach and the Montrose golf links, which includes holes by Harry Colt in its updated form and which of course historically dates back to at least the 16th century.   Our investigation discovered fairly conclusive evidence that dredging in the harbour, which increased dramatically in the early 1970s, is primarily responsible for the erosion, especially since the sand dredged is not returned to Montrose Bay. This despite denials from the port and the local government officials. The program can be heard via the internet at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/facethefacts/
Eventually, there will be transcripts of the program posted on that site as well.
It's too early to say how this will affect coast protection schemes in Montrose, and the future of the course, which is a qualifying course for the Open in Carnoustie next year. But it is safe to say that the program will contribute to local debate at the very least.
Belated thanks to all who passed on some valuable leads to me a few months back when I was first looking into this issue.
Cheers

plabatt

Re:Update on Royal Montrose Erosion
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 08:58:26 AM »
Richard
Royal Montrose is one of three clubs that play over the Medal course of the Montrose Links Trust.  Can you verify your Colt claim, as most credit goes to Willie Park Sr. for organizing the current 18 holes on the Medal course.  Other sources mention Tom Morris and Willie Park Jr.  

I played the Medal course in October 2002 and remember thinking at the time that the second tee was being encroached by erosion.  Thank you for your update,

Peter

Richard Phinney

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 12:02:24 PM »
Richard
Royal Montrose is one of three clubs that play over the Medal course of the Montrose Links Trust.  Can you verify your Colt claim, as most credit goes to Willie Park Sr. for organizing the current 18 holes on the Medal course.  Other sources mention Tom Morris and Willie Park Jr.  
Peter,
It is clear from the archives of the Montrose Review newspaper that the radically redesigned championship course (now called the Medal) that opened in 1919 was thought to be based on Colt's plans -- the first newspaper reviewer of the new layout even quotes from Colt’s 1913 report. However, I am still trying to piece together a) how closely those designs were followed, and b) how much they may have changed since.  Certainly little of the Park Jr course, a 1906 layout of which is reproduced in the book Golf in Montrose (William Coull)  remains (at most two holes, rebunkered in 1919, though there may be a couple of other green sites).  And so while Old Tom did help with a redesign in the 1860s there can be even less, if any, of that remaining on the Medal Course (though I suppose there might be something left on the shorter Broomfield). Coull also attributes the 1919 course design to Colt. Unfortunately the clubs and the Links Trust seem to know little of this evolution.  Certainly current publicity materials that infer that the Medal is essentially a Park Jr design are off the mark.
Cheers

plabatt

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 12:21:28 PM »
Richard
Well Done!  This may be an example of where one source is cited and others continue using Willie Park Jr. as their source.  You may be on to some original research here.  Keep up the good work.

Peter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back