News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

USGA Golf House/Museum
« on: August 14, 2006, 06:08:49 PM »
Any word on when the USGA museum is to re-open?  It has been closed for "renovations" for 18 months now.  Yet it is never discussed in any USGA press releases or mailings.  No pictures, no drawings, no timetable, no information.  Is it really being renovated, or are they just trying to get out of the "museum business" without admitting to this.

This is another reason why I have not renewed my USGA membership this year.  I actually used to be proud of being a USGA member.  When I was in college and discovered Golf Journal in the pro shop I was exposed to higher level of golf.  The writing was very good, the history was fantastic, and it was so much better than every other golf publication.  If the publication cost really was the issue, why did they not just re-create Golf Journal as an on-line magazine only?

Currently they have no Journal, and no adequate replacement to Golf Journal.  They now also have no museum, yet they have more money from NBC (& probably Japan) than they know what to do with.

Since I am not renewing my USGA membership, I will just split my dues payment between "Golf Club Atlas" and the Shivas Irons magazine.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

John_Cullum

Re:USGA Golf House/Museum
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 06:47:24 PM »
About a year ago I called the USGA looking for a particular publication. The lady i spoke with was not in Far Hills as i recall, but in some distant place that handles the catalog/internet sales. I asked her if I could get directly in touch with the gift shop, as I had been told by someone he had seen this book in there the last time he was in. The lady informed me the shop really didn't exist any longer.

I guess it went out with the museum.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 07:44:24 PM »
swell   :'(

I always enjoyed Golf House

Willie_Dow

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:34:24 PM »
Dan - Come fall, and firm and fast conditions, we'll play.  I'd like to include Chet Harrington and Jack Whitaker for a read on your summation.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 07:34:24 AM »
I did also send an e-mail to the USGA per the status of their golf museum and received the following response:

According to the current project schedule, the new Arnold Palmer Center for Golf History is scheduled to open in the early summer of 2008.  Unanticipated and unprecedented conditions in the local construction market had forced the project team to stop its work for a short period of time in the late spring in order to redesign parts of the project.  We are now back at work in full force, pushing towards the completion of construction documents in early October.  The brief delay has pushed us back a few months in time (we had originally projected an opening in the late spring of 2008), and we’re hoping that further delays will not come into play.  Should all continue to move in a positive direction, actual construction on site will begin in late 2006 (December?) or early 2007 (January?), with a construction period of just over 12 months, followed by several months to install exhibits and commission all the building systems.  As the project had largely been proceeding along the schedule that we had originally outlined last November at the time of the groundbreaking (the team did not feel that the two-month delay was a substantial departure from the schedule originally projected), we have been continuing with our plan to issue an official update at the time that on-site construction actually commences.

Hope this helps clarify the situation.  Please let me know if there is any additional information that I can offer.

Best wishes,
Rand Jerris, Ph.D.
Director, Museum and Archives
United States Golf Association

Since, I was so critical of the USGA in my original post, I felt I should also acknowledge the quick and detailed response from Mr. Jerris.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back