News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ron Farris

Does anyone do this anymore?
« on: July 30, 2006, 10:25:48 PM »

Project Manager at the time - Now an Architect. (Rod Whitman @ Austin CC)

Seed to soil contact is important, but do people roll the greens like this?

Tom Jefferson

Re:Does anyone do this anymore?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 11:52:20 PM »
I've planted and grown in 4 courses over the years but I have never rolled a green as part of the seeding process.

Here at Bandon all the greens (as well as fairways, tees, rough) are hydroseeded.

In Northern California my favorite method was to rake the surface with a landscape rake in two directions, seed the green with a Gandy (as shown in your photo), then drag an irrigation hose across the surface in two directions to cover the seed....the result was excellent.

Tom
the pres

Peter Galea

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 12:01:44 AM »
You know what works really well? Tracking the seed in with the knobby tires of a sand pro. Probably the best use of the machine. You must be careful not taking seed out to the collars. I was skeptical the first time I did it, but it works great. The little pockets formed by the track hold water for the first couple irrigation cycles, then the ridges melt and smooth out.
"chief sherpa"

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 12:25:38 AM »
Pete;
I agree with you completely about the knobby sandpro tires as a great way to create a receptive seed surface.

I didn't include it with my response above because we only used that method on the tee surfaces.

It works great!!

Tom
the pres

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:43:27 AM »
Ron:

I watched last fall at Pronghorn as the superintendent, John Anderson, supervised hand raking and rolling of a green immediately after seeding.  First time I'd seen it since we did it at High Pointe!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 03:44:43 AM »
Dito Peter and Tom

Tom Roewer

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 07:09:54 AM »
Before we overseed (poa trivialis) we verticut aggressively and then roll the seed .  It seems to promote more consistent coverage while needing less overall seed and way less sand topping.  It also allows us to mow earlier than if we had suspended the seed in lots of sand as others seem to do.  Therefore we have a better turnaround time.  If you think about it it makes a lot of sense.  The seed is always in contact with the surface that it is rooting into, and filling spaces immediately.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back