News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Daughters

Re:The best things in gca over the last 25 years
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2006, 10:09:15 PM »

How about the "discovery" of Royal Dornoch by Tom Watson (1981.. just makes it), and how it encouraged legions of lesser golfers to go see all that's out there?
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

George Pazin

Re:The best things in gca over the last 25 years
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2006, 12:21:05 AM »
George, Ryan;

I live in Cincinnati area. A group of players I know went up to Pittsburg way, and played a public that they raved about. It is in Freeport. It is called 'Birdsfoot'.

Have you played it? Is it really not that good? It has been lurking on my 'wish list'. Should I try it, or forget it?

Doug

Hi Doug -

Sorry I'm slow responding, I just saw your question.

Personally I wouldn't say Birdsfoot is worth a special trip in and of itself. It's a fun course, I enjoyed it quite a bit, but if you're going to travel all the way from Cincy, I'd sneak onto a private gem first. :)

More seriously, I think Birdsfoot is a fine, much needed addition to our public scene here in western PA, but I don't know that it is a special course in the regional sense. Someone who is more widely experienced in the area would have to give you that evaluation, or even someone more widely travelled like Matt Ward.

I'll try to dig up some old Birdsfoot threads if I can.

* add on - I guess the short version is if you're in the area, it's one of the better public courses, but I wouldn't make the trip just for it. Locally I'd rather play Birdsfoot than something like Olde Stonewall, but I'd probably sooner play Quicksilver than either, though I would also add that Quicksilver is more my style of course.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 02:15:46 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back