News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Prairie Dunes, world number one
« on: July 05, 2006, 01:48:02 PM »
From The Hutchinson News

"Too bad it took me 70 years to find this golf course," Charles said, following his practice round in hot and humid conditions. "It's a real gem, and I rate it right up there with Pine Valley."

That's as in Pine Valley (N.J.) Golf Club, the No. 1-ranked course in the United States in 2005 by Golf Digest, which compiles course rankings every two years. Prairie Dunes was listed as the 24th-best course in the country.

Charles, who admittedly is a huge fan of links courses, thinks a revote is in order.

"In fact, I think it could be better than Pine Valley," said Charles, who turned 70 on March 14. "I think it's probably the finest golf course in the USA. I knew it was in the top 10 or 20. It's definitely in the top 10, and I would rate it much better."

That's pretty heady stuff, coming from a veteran like Charles, who has played all over the world and has the 1963 British Open title to his credit. But it was more than just Charles who gave the Dunes favorable reviews as the world's best 50-and-over golfers prepared for their biggest tournament of the season.

"I love links golf," Charles said. "I prefer links golf, and I like the sand dunes and the typical Scottish links look."

http://www.hutchnews.com/sports/stories/praise070406.shtml

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matt_Cohn

Re:Prairie Dunes, world number one
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 01:51:46 PM »
Is Bob Charles saying he considers PD to be a links? PD is many things to me but I've never thought of it as a links course.

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 01:55:18 PM »
PD is certainly in the small group of courses in this country that could lay a claim to one of the top spots IMO. I started a thread about why isn't it #1 when I returned from there in May. There were plenty of reasonable opinions expressed why PD shouldn't be #1, but in the end it comes down to personal preference.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

JSlonis

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 02:11:46 PM »
I found this paragraph on the Prairie Dunes website, concerning the history of the course....interesting.

"In 1935 the Carey family commissioned architectural genius Perry Maxwell (Southern Hills, Colonial Country Club, redesign of Pine Valley and Augusta National) to design a masterpiece. Thus, the idea of Prairie Dunes was born."

Perhaps "redesign" isn't quite the wording they should have used.  ;)  I would think the folks at PVGC and ANGC might agree.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the course this week.  Although I have never been there, Prairie Dunes has always been high on my list of interest.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 02:16:55 PM »
Ed,

Do you happen to have the link to that thread handy? Perhaps in your notification list?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 04:33:54 PM »
The PD thread.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=23297;start=0

Sounds like Bob Charles needs to play Crystal Downs and Sand Hills.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back