News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Do you like this?
« on: July 06, 2006, 12:00:13 PM »
Any comments on this golf hole?

Mike
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 12:00:35 PM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Glenn Spencer

Re:Do you like this?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 12:02:34 PM »
I would like to know what it is to get between the 2 bunkers off the tee or to the last one, but absolutely, that looks like a marvelous hole!!!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 12:03:16 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 12:03:53 PM »
Can we get some stats? How long?

Tim Pitner

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 12:05:05 PM »
No homes or condos in sight--that's a good start.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 12:06:03 PM »
No homes or condos in sight--that's a good start.

So is 2-directional cut fairways.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 12:11:34 PM »
Mike:

Are you a fisherman? I'd like to see how quickly you can set a hook before you reel one in.

Sobe

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 12:13:01 PM »
Of course I like it. It's a golf hole, isn't it?

Of course it's hard to tell in from a photograph, but it looks as though taking a more risky line off the tee (challenging the bunker) results in a cleaner lay up on what appears to be a five par; playing safe to the left creates more interference on the second from the left side fairway bunkers.

Can't make out if it is reachable in two (if it is, it would only be by taking a line over the big bunker) but if it is, what appears to be a cape style green could create some problems if not reached successfully.

The fairway bunkers which appear to be somewhat short of the green add interest and challenge to the lay up shot.

It seems to be a very agreeable hole.

For an interesting mental exercise, imagine the open, unmaintained area right of the hole as ocean. How would this change your perspective of the hole, if at all?

BTW, the setting looks beautiful. What course is it?
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

John_Cullum

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 12:13:07 PM »
How bad is the low area to the right?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Joe Hancock

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 12:14:22 PM »
Doug,

Funny you should mention "hook". Somehow, when I saw this pictured hole I wondered how you might play it. ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 12:15:08 PM »
Tony,

580 from the tips.

Sarge,

You can recover from there.

Doug,

I have no idea what you mean.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jeff Peterson

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 12:18:49 PM »
Watch out, Glenn.  I think Mike may be laying a trap -- I believe the architect of this hole rhymes with "Fart Pills."

(As a clue, the file name of the picture is "OldeStone2tee.jpg")
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 12:22:54 PM by Jeff Peterson »

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 12:20:41 PM »
Doug,

Funny you should mention "hook". Somehow, when I saw this pictured hole I wondered how you might play it. ;D

Joe

Joe:

Don't you know? My fades are only hooking about 15-20 feet these days!

Sobe

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 12:22:25 PM »
Bogey,

Hard tellin' from a picture, but if that fairway is as narrow as it appears.....

I'd rather see more fairway that allows off target shots to scamper offline even farther, creating more of a dilemma than just a recovery shot from thicker rough. For instance, if that long bunker on the right actually had 15 yards of fairway cut on the right side of it, I 'might' like it better. You might get lucky, or you might kick into the gunk and be really screwed.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Joe Hancock

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 12:23:39 PM »
Doug,

Joe

Joe:

Don't you know? My fades are only hooking about 15-20 feet these days!

Sobe

Doug,

15 or 20 feet is about how wide that fairway appears, so you're screwed..... ;D

Joe

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 12:24:03 PM »
I suspected that. Mike has always challenged my Hills hatred. ;D It looks like a wonderful hole. I would like to play that one, too bad I never will. Shaker Run and Fox Run have a lot of good ones also. It really does look nice, too bad he wnet and screwed it up later in the round. Or before.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 12:27:45 PM »
Oh, it is Olde Stone, well I would hope that he would have something that looks nice on a course that has been so heralded. I looks like a great hole to me. If only I get on there. Wait a minute, I can, still not playing it though!! I am a sucker for 2 directional cut. If this hole is as nice as it looks, there must be some really bad ones out there. ;D

Lou_Duran

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 12:29:31 PM »
Looks like room for an alternative fairway right.  Width and options are beautiful!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 12:30:13 PM by Lou_Duran »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 01:04:56 PM »
From the website:

www.olde-stone.com

The Course at Olde Stone, designed by internationally acclaimed golf architect Arthur Hills, is destined to be a classic. Created with a deep respect for the land, Hills was given free reign to create a masterpiece on terrain that he describes as "one of the absolute best sites we've worked on." Bentgrass fairways and greens are dotted with dazzling white sand bunkers. Trees, not houses, line the fairways of this core course and the strategically placed tee boxes insure a challenging game no matter what your skill level.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 01:15:49 PM »
I am guessing that the hole that they show on the site with the tree right by the green is an absolute Hills masterpiece!! The picture Bogey put up of #2 is what is known as fools gold.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 01:23:26 PM »
To simply answer the question, it looks like a very well bunkered hole which embodies an interesting use of diagonals on the first, second and even third shots. So yes, I do like it. I'd have to know the proportions and see how the green complex is contoured to tell if it's potentially a great hole (keeping in mind that interesting Par 5's are more commonly encountered than equally interesting Par 4's).

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 01:37:33 PM »
looking at the golf hole only - it looks excellent.
It unfortunately doesn't entirely fit its surrounds.
The mounding to hide the cartpath is unnatural looking to me.
The green mounds aren't excellent, and it doesn't tie into the right side either.

I like Lou's suggestion - a massively wide faiway would fit better in the flattish area - proportionally speaking.

Doak 6.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 01:40:13 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back