News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

O/T Could World CUp format work for matchplay.
« on: June 13, 2006, 04:19:32 PM »
This one really isn't about soccer; I’ve yet to watch one of the matches.

It seems to me that they've set up the format to counter some of the frequently aired reasons given why we don't see more Matchplay completions in the pro game.  Basically the game is now TV driven and unless they are made more appealing we won’t be seeing more matchplay comps.

If a tournament was run in this way.

It would need to start on Wednesday with 16 players seeded into four groups.  Over the first 3 days each player would play the others in their group with 2 points a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss.  Each day would therefore have 8 games. Tied on points could be decided by rating players by the number of holes they were up in each game.

Saturday you then start two knockout competitions. One for the winners of each group and the other for the runners up.  You have 4 games.

Sunday two finals and two semis gives 4 more games.  The two finals could be 36 holes with the cameras joining in the afternoon when there are 4 games going on.

The advantages are.

It would be a lot more TV friendly. They could be pretty sure of big names still being on screen on Sunday.  Also with more games on at the weekend they could cut back and forth just like they do at the Ryder Cup and every other tournament.  I’ve watched the last tow finals from Wentworth and it can be quite slow on the TV.

You would also get more fans attending as they would have more to watch.  Like the World Cup they would still feel they had seen the best winner of a knockout competition.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Jay Flemma

Re:O/T Could World CUp format work for matchplay.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 05:26:00 PM »
I thnk thats a GREAT idea!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 05:45:55 PM »
Tied on points could be decided by rating players by the number of holes they were up in each game.

So a guy who waxes everyone 9 and 8 would lose a tiebreaker to a guy who wins the first hole, halves every hole after that and holds on to win all his matches 1 up?

NO No No.  In football it would be decided on which team had the best goal difference over their 3 matches.  So in Golf just add up the total number of the holes won/lost by, and the player with the best total would sit higher in the league than others with the same no of points.

Clearer?

PS Jay did I ever compliment you on your extraordinary intelligence and perception? ;D
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 06:16:31 PM »
Ok so the soccer girls have a great idea. I like it as well. Match play golf is really the best golf to me.

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 06:27:18 PM »
Yes, Tony, great idea!

Which means, of course, it will never happen..... :'(

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 09:14:04 PM »
Rich-

Of course it can happen. Call it the Rich Goodall Invitational.

In fact, there was a Round Robin Invitational on the tour in the thirties and forties, I believe at Inverness.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back