News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

US open qualifier - no mention of 16 year old hawaiians
« on: June 06, 2006, 06:54:00 PM »
Got to see the last couple of hours of the Europena US open qualifier with Richard Pennell Monday afternoon at Walton Heath.

These are the final results.

About half the field were par or better and a couple of the pro’s withdrew at lunchtime after posting big scores in the morning. This was appalling for their partners, we saw one Scandinavian playing the round by himself.  

Some images

The guy in the light blue tank top is Gary Wolstenholme who is a ‘career amateur’ most famously he beat Tiger in the Walker Cup at Porthcall. Another friend of mine wanted to follow his back nine ‘as he plays a game we can relate to’.  He’s never been a long hitter and he gave Tiger upto 70 yards on each tee shot.

He’s about 165 from the flag and the guy he was playing (not long compared to others) was past the bunker about 30 yards longer.

This is his ball. Don’t ask me how but I swear it looks twice as big as an all white one.

The human interest came when he was one of the 5 playing for 3 places in sudden death.

Two failed to make par on the 1st extra hole, the 235 yard 1st of the old course.

This is Oliver Wilson on the second play off hole (1st on the new).

He got up and down from there – pin was just out of picture.

The third extra was the 18th on the new and Oliver birdies it to secure his place.

Then Philip Archerand Wolstenholme played the 1st again, and Guy found trouble with his drive.

He chipped out and was on the green in 3, but his opponent was just behind him on two.  

I didn’t have the heart to take a picture of Wolstenholme as he took the long walk back to the clubhouse.  It’s tough to loose anytime but when you’re 45 years old and you’ve just lost on the 40th hole of the day... he looked devastated.

After everyone had gone the place was magical.

Next week I will have the pleasure of pointing out to Mr Hutto and Mr Disher the divots they are attempting to play third shots from were left by the flatbellies second shots! Bring it on.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Brent Hutto

Re:US open qualifier - no mention of 16 year old hawaiians
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 07:04:36 PM »
Next week I will have the pleasure of pointing out to Mr Hutto and Mr Disher the divots they are attempting to play third shots from were left by the flatbellies second shots! Bring it on.

Indeed.

Hey, I'm 45 years old too. Hopefully our game won't have to go to 40 holes. BTW, given the amount of time as you spend at Walton Heath every June I'm gonna need a couple extra strokes.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 07:06:30 PM »
...the divots they are attempting to play third shots...

Wait a minute. I'm pretty sure there's a Rule of Golf says you get to roll the ball out of a divot. Don't you have that one over there? Barbarians  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 08:03:36 PM »
Michelle Wie
 :P :P :P :P
Guess you'll have to change the title on the thread.
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 09:32:04 PM »
Garland,

That's three posts down, 954 to go! Woooohoooo....

Seriously, though:
My understanding is that more than a few WD'ed -- as in dozens.  Anybody know why so many? Some WD'ed after playing one round, and by no means did all of those scores appear to be blowups.

Second, what the hell is on Wolstenholme's ball? Is that some sort of ode to the World Cup?  Or is this some "signature" for which he's known, a la Duffy Waldorf's balls?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 02:22:57 AM »

Mark

I don't know why so many withdrew. The week before the website had Darren Clarke (has he really slipped out of the world top 50?) and Lee Westwood down to play.  Westwood then said he was playing so badly and he had a 'commercial appointment' in the states so he publicly dropped pout.

Last year of course Campbell took this route and went all the way.

This is form last years Walker cup site

Gary Wolstenholme’s golf ball looked more like a miniature soccer ball with various pentagon-shaped markings dotting his ball.
It was the brainchild of a friend back home in England.
“It’s just an idea of a guy I know in London who wants to try and market,” said Wolstenholme. “I like it because it means you are not going to play the wrong ball. The other side of it is it does give you the indication if you are putting the right amount of spin on the ball. It’s really just a bit of fun.”

Seriously if you see one of these buy it. The ball looks huge marked up like this, how could you miss hit something that big?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 05:07:07 AM »
I believe 47 golfers ended up shooting for 8 places.  Originally there were going to be 70 or more.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back