News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan McCord

Forest Dunes Golf Club
« on: June 10, 2006, 01:12:09 PM »
Forest Dunes finally opened to rave reviews in 2002, as it won Golf Digest's Best New Upscale Public facility in 2003.  Designed by Tom Weiskopf in the middle of Michigan's forests, this course was compared to both Augusta and Pine Valley.  Now this was a little tough to comprehend at first, but after playing FD for the third time yesterday, I appreciate the style only Forest Dunes possesses.

Forest Dunes meanders through both mature forests, and sandy scrub, reminescent of Pine Valley.  However, the bunkering can also be compared to Augusta National, which few courses can boast.  Weiskopf deserves alot of credit for his routing which flows quite well between sandy scrub and the stereotypical Michigan forests.

There are a great variety of holes at FD, and I found they fit quite nicely into these catagories.

Average - 1,4,9,12
Good - 2,8,11,14,16,18
Great - 3,6,7,10,15,17
WORLD CLASS - 5,13

The average holes are all fairly straight forward.  These holes do not disappoint, they just don't stack up to the others at FD.

The good holes allow the bogey golfer to gain advantages on the lower handicap golfer by using good course management.  There some nice green complexes in this group as they allow an intelligent golf to use the ground if he sees fit.

The great holes at Forest Dunes all have some unique and different to offer which is what makes them great.

The "World Class" holes may not be truly world class, but the greens they offer the golfer, are truly top notch.  These two holes will get their own thread!!!

I can't stress how much fun this course is to play.  If this course was on Lake Michigan, I think it would be a better experience then Arcadia, it is certainly a better golf course, IMHO!!!

Hell's Half Acre, Forest Dunes Edition, 200 yd. Par 3 16th

Par 5 15th Green Setting, Note the difference in the bunkers on the right.

Preferred Angle after challenging waste bunker on right side of the Par 4 14th.

Great Green Setting of the Par 4 10th, Note, the false front on left.  This green is a giant boomerang, with undulations that make it possible to putt around the front bunker.

Split Fairway teeshot on the Par 4 10th.  Large fairway is not shown, and is to the left of the left bunker in the picture.

Beautiful Par 5 7th Green Setting.  Aptly called Fieldgoal, due to the two trees on either side of the green.

Par 5 7th from 100 yds. out.

Reef hole green setting. 6th Par 4

Reef Hole. Par 4 6th from teebox.

Great Par 3 3rd.

The first teeshot at Forest Dunes!

Here are a couple pictures of me. No Blue or Pink here!!!! ;) ;D

Forest Dunes combines great golf with outstanding conditioning.  The greens were as true as anything I have ever played.  Forest Dunes is public golf, for now, at its finest!
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Tom_Doak

Re:Forest Dunes Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 01:16:27 PM »
Jonathan:  Two questions.

First, why the "reef hole"?  Tillinghast did a famous sketch of a par-3 with a ridge in front of the green which he called the "Reef", but the hole depicted doesn't look like it's related to that.

Second, are the two different styles of bunkering as bothersome when you're playing as they are when just looking at pictures?

I have heard nothing but good things about that course.

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 01:28:04 PM »
Tom, You got me.   The 6th is a par 4, however, the strategies it entails are quite meaningful.  If you try to carry the cross bunkers you are left with no more then a 120 yard shot and the green opens up quite nicely once you are on top of the ridge.  So I guess we shall call it the "Ridge Hole"

If you do leave your shot below the ridge the tree can become an obstacle and the angle the green sits at makes it a very tough looking shot.

As, for the contrasting bunker styles, I think it actually works.  Some of the pictures, such as that of #1 and #15, show these contrasts.  It didn't bother me at all, but the style that is Forest Dunes, is just that combination Augusta and Pine Valley.  It is probably something which other courses would aspire to be, but shouldn't.  I think it works because Weiskopf utilizes the transition between forest and sandy scrub so well.

I realize your busy, but you should get out there at some point.  Well worth the trip from TC.

"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 02:57:49 PM »
Tillinghast did not just use his "reef" hole concept on par 3's.  The 5th at Bethpage Blue that he termed the reef hole was a par 4.  Needless to say, the 6th at Forest Dunes is not a reef hole.

David Neveux

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 07:42:03 PM »
I recently played FD for the third time as well.  I really love this golf course.  Not only is it inspiring to play, as Johnathon says, it is in immaculate shape.  The greens are so GOOD, the best I've ever played.  I also think that the course is very playable for all skill levels.  A ball hit off line is usually playable, even from the woods.  Don't miss this course if you're in the area, you will not be dissapointed.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back