News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Dunne

Lahinch #11
« on: June 02, 2006, 02:32:16 PM »
I was just flipping through Doak/Scott/Haddock's "Life and Work of Dr. MacKenzie", when I came across the little gazetteer in the back listing the par-3 11th at Lahinch as one of the Good Doctor's all-time finest one-shot holes. I made my first visit to Lahinch back in April and played this hole to the new green, which I would imagine is one product of Mr. Hawtree's renovation a couple of years ago.

Fortunately the original MacKenzie green still exists (see below), while the new green pushes out even closer to the strand and offers even bigger views of Liscannor Point.

So, a veritable train wreck of questions come to mind:

For those familiar with the "old" Lahinch--how did the original #11 play? Where was the tee? If this hole could take its place alongside the likes of the 16th at CPC and the Gibraltar hole at Moortown, what on earth was the motivation to discontinue use of the original hole? The members I played with that day said that the links had gained 2-3 shots of difficulty since the Hawtree reno--is this one of those places? And regardless of whether it is or is not, does this constitute an improvement?

(PS: I liked the #11 I played, but passing by that terrific, undulating old green I couldn't help wonder about all of this....)

Thanks!

Tom

Tim Pitner

Re:Lahinch #11
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 04:07:31 PM »
I wonder why they left the old green.  It doesn't seem like it would be used as an alternate.  Historical curiosity?  Insecurity about the new green?  I need to play Lahinch again.

Padraig Dooley

Re:Lahinch #11
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 06:20:05 PM »
The old tee was right and back of where the current tee is now. I think it used to play about 150 yards into the prevailing wind, normally a mid-iron but anything from a 3 to a wedge.
It was one of my favorite par 3's allowing for a multitude of shots, I always used to enjoy pitching the tee shot into the bank at the back of the green and letting the ball come back to the hole.
It was easy to miss the green and required a deft touch to save a three.
The current hole is probably more difficult but not as good. I think there was a lot of debate at the time of the changes about this hole and what used to be the old third. Quite an abundance of people wanted to keep both holes.
I think green was kept because the hole might be played again.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back