News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan McCord

Beginnings of Architecture
« on: June 02, 2006, 02:25:06 PM »
So, I'm curious!  How did you gentlemen get interested in golf course architecture?  Did you ever do things like, mow golf courses in your yard, or create a golf course routing throughout the yard, or playground, and bat the wiffle ball around.  If so, share your stories.

My buddy and I had a great time in March when we took the golf clubs to Ludington State Park on Lake Michigan.  It is graced by some amazing sand dunes and would make a very unique setting for a golf course.  Here are some pictures.  

All we did was pick a target in the distance, and see who could get there in the least amount of strokes.  GOLF AT ITS PURIST!!!

The Elevator Hole....Left or Right....The target was on the hill to the right of the rusty elevator.

This was a beautiful dog leg right around a pond.

Myself, teeing off from atop a dune.

As natural as bunkers or sand traps come!!!

"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Kenny Lee Puckett

Re:Beginnings of Architecture
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 03:35:41 PM »
Jonathan -

Awesome!!!

If you had been a cave man, fire and the wheel would have come earlier!

JWK

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 03:04:07 PM »
Jonathon, I have been to Ludington State Park many times but alway forgot to bring my clubs!! I have alway said that along the west coast of Michigan there are some awesome sites that would make excellent links type courses.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 03:38:33 PM »
Jonathon,

I must say I am jealous. I hope to join you in such sheepranchery some day.

My interest developed in a twofold manner. I used to doodle golf holes on my English binder in 10th grade.

A more intense interest developed when I read Brad Klein's Rough Meditations while on staff for a Boy Scout training week.

I remember thinking the name "A.W. Tillinghast" sounded so bourgeouse.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 05:01:35 PM »
Jonathan;

I built a 7 hole miniature golf course in my backyard as a 12 year old in San Diego..........then doodled greens, etc. while daydreaming in high school....same in college....

still doodling and dreamgolfing at Bandon Dunes!

Tom
the pres

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back