News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Diversity
« on: June 01, 2006, 10:44:58 AM »
For years Pine Valley has been ranked the best course in the world.

There are many things that probably factor into this, but mostly diversity within the holes and the course.

Are there any other courses in the world with as much--or more-- diversity than PV??

John_Cullum

Re:Diversity
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:04:33 AM »

There are many things that probably factor into this, but mostly diversity within the holes and the course.

How do you reach this conclusion?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 11:52:22 AM »
After talking with someone who has played the course, we came to the conclusion that everything from the sandy scrubs, to the doglegs, the options off the tee, the greens the hazards, everything really is what makes the course special.  None of the holes are parallel to each other, no hole back to back faces the same direction, and there are different options on about every hole.  You hit every club in your bag and are frequently challenged.

I just wonder if there are any other courses that can present this.  
Diversity is just what fits for all that stuff all mixed into to one word.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 12:05:39 PM »
After talking with someone who has played the course ...

Nice touch, "Jordan"!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 03:10:05 PM »
I dunno about you guys, but I think diversty is a wooden sailing ship from the revolution...

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 05:10:23 PM »
Jordan,

I think you know the answer to this question yourself.....but apparently are "hard up" for material to generate a discussion around here with.  

Many courses possess the variety in golf holes that PV does.  

But let me ask you this?  Where is the reachable par 5 at Pine Valley???

It has the long one shot 5th
The Redanish 3rd
The uber short 10th and heroic 14th

PV sports a couple of 300 yd or so par fours.......although are either of them really drivable?  Hardly.  Try driving 8?

PV also has brutish par 4's

However, it only possesses 2 three shot holes, and neither are reachable in two!!!

Cypress
Pac Dunes
NGLA

These courses immediately come to mind as having the same variety in the golf holes as Pine Valley.  

CP has the great short par 4's (8 & 9)  A shortish and super long par 3 (15 & 16).

You really need to get your booty down to Bandon, Mr. Wall.  Pac Dunes has the shortish two shotters in #1, #2, #6, #16

17th is essentially a redan.  #10 is totally downhill drop shot.  #4 is a par 4 that is nearly unreachable in two into the wind.  Both #3 and #12 are par fives that can be reached in two on good days.  I've yet to see anybody come close to reaching #15 or #18 in two, however.  #7 is a true, brutish two shotter.  #9 has two greens, a la #8 at PV.

Lots of courses have great variety, I would not consider PV to have the MOST, however.  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 05:13:02 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Andrew Balakshin

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 09:18:23 PM »
I dunno about you guys, but I think diversty is a wooden sailing ship from the revolution...

hahaha

gotta love Mr Burgundy ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back