News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jeff Goldman

Actually, Brad gave a terrific presentation to the membership on trends in golf course architecture, classic vs. modern design, and, most important, the place of trees on the golf course.  Best may have been his observation that members of private clubs tend to be conservative, involved in the business community, and generally vote Republican, but can turn into eco-terrorists when anyone brings up doing something about one pin oak tree blocking the sun from the 18th green.  Tell us what you really think, Brad!  ;D

There was also a mildly raucous back and forth during the question and answer session between folks who thought that the club was defined by its trees, and Brad and others who were not sure people left the club humming the scenery rather than the cool shot they hit on 14.  Actaully, most folks at the club get it, and the program was excellently done.

Jeff Goldman  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 11:08:17 AM by Jeff Goldman »
That was one hellacious beaver.

Jonathan Cummings

Re:Brad Klein thrown in the pond at Olympia Fields! Just kidding!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 01:15:01 PM »
Bradley gives a hell of a talk - passionate, informative and interesting.  I should know, I've probably seen 100 of them!!

jaycee

Dunlop_White

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 02:20:06 PM »
Brad,

Good to hear you haven't lost your touch. Hope you don't mind me sharing this with everyone?

Brad once said that the same golfers who eat meat and potatos and think that a salad is Wican fare are the very ones who transform into ecological hipsters once a slender white pine or a wall of arbor vitae are threatened to be removed from a golf course.

Brad adds good humor to the situation!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 09:54:43 PM by Dunlop_White »

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 02:53:10 PM »
One great thing about Brad is you can count on him to tell it like it is. I have really enjoyed the two presentations I have attended where Brad spoke.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 06:23:27 PM »
Thanks to Andy Revell and Jeff Goldman for setting up this sesson with the members -- and the board of OFCC for allowing it and the membership for attending. Anything that serves the cause of golfer education is helpful, even if at times it's contentious, as it has to be.

By the way, while the North Course is already quite impressive, the South Course has an awful lot going for it, with some wonderful holes (6,7,9,11,12,18) and just about the most elegant final approach vista of a clubhouse you will ever find in golf.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 06:58:12 PM »
Ed,
 I've done one of them and am still waiting for another one out here on the West Coast, I mean, come on! After all Brad spends about 35-40% of his time out here now. We should be getting more then our share of these types of events by him!  ;)

Joking aside, Brad puts a lot of effort into it, and I don't think any two presentations are alike because the subject matter can change so easily. If any of you haven't been to one of Brad's presentations, your missing some very informative stuff.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 12:21:06 AM »
Brad is only partially right on one fact--Andy Revell deserves all the credit for bringing this off, not me, and he is responsible for a lot of other good stuff that has gone on at Olympia Fields the last few years.

One really great thing was that Brad also talked to a bunch  of members, over dinner, golf, and drinks in the 73rd hole.  The members disagree on some issues, but have a lot of fun doing so, and as a relatively new member I have found that a more welcoming atmosphere is hard to find.
That was one hellacious beaver.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back