News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Re:Stonetree (Johnny Miller) marin county
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 11:31:18 PM »
Maybe someone can link this picture, but the little photo on this webpage is #14 that we were talking about.

http://www.golfguide.org/stonetree.shtml

Mike Benham

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2006, 12:19:32 AM »
Maybe someone can link this picture, but the little photo on this webpage is #14 that we were talking about.

Those darn golf courses photographers, they take pictures from some strange angles ... is the from someone's backyard?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 12:20:33 AM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2006, 01:34:32 AM »
I think it's a telephoto view - it's from about 150 yards in front of the tee, off to the left, I guess. because I'm pretty sure the teeshot goes over that tree. It's 350-ish to the green from there but I think it just looks short in the picture. I didn't remember that the second shot had to go over the bunker that much but I guess I was wrong. I'm still not 100% sure about the angle of the picture though.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 12:10:29 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2006, 09:05:54 AM »
Interesting to read the comments regarding Stonetree, as I had a small bit to play in the environmental part of the application with the city of Novato...........must have been 8-10 years ago.  I worked for the man who is most responsible for Stonetree's routing, design, construction....Jim Summers.
Jim and Sandy Tatum did some work together during the late 80s and 90s and, to my knowledge at least, had the most to do with Stonetree.  Fred Bliss had some small involvement, and John Miller even less.  I know for a fact that Jim spent close to 2000 hours with his feet on the ground during the construction process, and in my mind deserves the credit for overcoming the formidable obstacles to approval, routing, design, environmental issues, and construction of Stonetree.
A tough site, absolutely, in my mind mostly having to do with blending the flat, bay mud holes with the narrow, steep, oak studded holes on the hill.  The bay mud holes are capped with sand, the hilly holes red Marin Co. clay.  The greens have alot of contour, and were shaped for speeds of 8.5 to 9.0....then along came Kevin P. (I can pronounce Kevin's last name, but can't spell it....a long name with LOTS of Ks, Ps, Qs, and Ys) from the Maryland area, as the all-star superintendent, and the speeds went up...way up!  I think they have been dialed back since the opening period of the course.
Anyway, regardless of the positives or negatives of Stonetree, my hat's off to Jim Summers, a smart, tough minded golf guy who has built some pretty good golf courses in his career working with difficult Northern California sites...... others being Canyon Oaks in Chico, Tierra Oaks in Redding, Lockeford Springs in Lodi, the Shakespeare nine at Chardonnay in Napa.

Tom
the pres

John Keenan

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2006, 11:02:09 AM »
Ok I have not played Stonetree but thought is was also a housing development to some degree. Is that not correct?

A golf course to help sell homes what an idea!!
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2006, 12:07:51 PM »
There are just a few homes at stonetree and they never really line the fairways. So yes, there are homes, but no, it's not a housing development course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back