News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Pitner

Re:Best golf destinations in the US
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 05:35:19 PM »
Tom,

I will keep an eye on that next week, although I really hope not to notice anything in particular on that score.

I'm also very anxious to check out Bandon Trails--it seems to receive widely divergent reviews.  Is it really only okay (to paraphrase Golf Magazine), or are detractors just missing the ocean views?  Somehow, I think I'll like Bandon Trails just fine.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2006, 05:46:50 PM »
Jimmy:

I'm constantly on the lookout for reasonably-priced golf destinations... So I'd advocate New Mexico big time - the courses around Santa Fe are fabulous and are all reasonably priced.  The same goes for St. George, Utah.. although prices are rising there.

Tim:  I too hope you don't find what I did... but well... prices being what they are... it's hard to believe the crowd doesn't continue to move upscale.  Anywhere else, who cares?  But at Bandon, which has so much soul and should be so purist golfer... it just doesn't seem right.  Re Trails, hell I loved it.  I don't get the complaints.  But I will be interested in your take there also....

TH

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2006, 08:37:14 PM »
I'm assuming we're talking about publicly accessible golf.  For quality, variety, scenery and proximity (of courses), Bandon wins hands down.  It's really not very close.
But Bandon is not all that accessible, or close to those of us in Eastern North America, particularly if we can't get a direct flight to Portland.

From my home in Toronto I can be in Scotland or Ireland in as much time as it takes to get to Bandon.  Is Bandon worth it when you have those options?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2006, 10:25:56 PM »
Jay, that is what makes the area make the list.

Gerry B

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2006, 10:44:12 PM »
Wayne;

yes bandon is worth it and i too live in toronto

my top destination is - take a 100 mile circumference from midtown manhattan - game/ set match  -if one has access to the better private courses

runners up in no particular order are

philly
bandon
monterey peninsula
chicago
boston

Tim Pitner

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2006, 11:02:52 PM »

But Bandon is not all that accessible, or close to those of us in Eastern North America, particularly if we can't get a direct flight to Portland.

From my home in Toronto I can be in Scotland or Ireland in as much time as it takes to get to Bandon.  Is Bandon worth it when you have those options?

Pacific Dunes probably compares pretty favorably with the greats of Scotland and Ireland and the coast of Oregon might be more scenic than both.  But, of course, we're talking about completely different experiences here--a resort (of a different stripe than most) versus golf in, and the cultural experience of travel to, the UK and Ireland.  I understand the strong pull of Scotland and Ireland, but Bandon is certainly worth a trip too.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2006, 11:13:38 PM »
Wayne;

yes bandon is worth it and i too live in toronto

my top destination is - take a 100 mile circumference from midtown manhattan - game/ set match  -if one has access to the better private courses

runners up in no particular order are

philly
bandon
monterey peninsula
chicago
boston
If Canada was added to the equation would there be any challengers?  Where would Toronto rank?

Gerry B

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2006, 11:22:47 PM »
wayne:

toronto would hold its own imho vs most us cities

national
st georges
hamilton
devils pulpit and  paintbrush
toronto golf club
scarboro
eagles nest
rosedale
lookout point (from what i have been told)
a couple of courses in muskoka
beacon hall - (sorry ben and robert)
glen abbey?
is a formidable line up imho

Jay Flemma

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2006, 11:27:12 PM »
Tiger->

Atta boy!  I can't wait to play the Buda with you.  ..and lytham for that matter.

Are you joining us at Reddish Vale?

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2006, 11:31:14 PM »
wayne:
toronto would hold its own imho vs most us cities
I would add Weston and Osprey Valley Heathlands to the list as well and if you are going to include Muskoka then perhaps Redtail & St. Thomas would be on the list also.  And what about Mississauga and also Brantford.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back