News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Re:Woodhall Spa Pictures
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2006, 05:32:04 PM »
Ryan, that was also my impression after playing the course. The excellent Latham book gives more information. The first layout on this land was by Vardon and today’s route is essentially the work of Colt, but the greens were tinkered with by Hotchkin until about 1935. He re-laid and moved many of them so we must assume he got what he wanted.  Indeed since then there have been only 4 significant changes to greens.
No 2 in the 1970’s a dip running front to back was removed.
 3 in the 199’s mounds on the left hand side of the green were removed
13.   Altered quite significantly by removing a large tier about 2/3 of the way up the green
16 used to have a tier at the back...levelled in the 1980’s

Changes to the course have tried to be in keeping with the written thoughts of Hotchkin. Some of these are summarised as follows.
-to ensure the course remained sympathetic to its natural surroundings
- to create testing green entrances, the width relating to the length of the hole (these vary between 6 & 24 yards.)

So I guess you have to conclude they are flat because
A he wanted it that way
B that reflects the Lincolnshire countryside

I also feel that the powerful influence the bunkers have puts an intense pressure on tee to green play. Once on the green the danger is in over relaxing and missing those subtleties- a completely different kind of mental pressure. This may well be felt more in a match than in the social golf visits.  I think you have to conclude they are certainly part of the course and were always meant to be. It is futile to speculate what they might have looked like if say Colt had done the greens.

The book says the terrain is classic Heathland with lowland Heathland fauna.

Philip you're very close, the beautifully understated sign on the 12th tee reads.

March 11 1982
Playing a singles match
L D Henshaw holed in one
J A Wilson holed out for a half
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 05:34:40 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Sabino

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2006, 10:49:58 AM »
Matthew and Rob -

Great pictures. Having played both Ganton and Woodhall Spa in the last year, my preference is for Woodhall Spa. Aside from the bunkering, which I think is superior, even though Woodhall is flatter there are more forced carries off the tee. Collectively the par 3's will stack up against any world class course, particularly the way a ball that is not well struck feeds into the bunkers. Woodhall also shines in its short par 4s especially the 17th. I do think Ganton has a better finish - 16-17-18 are tough finishing holes, especially the par 3 17th if the wind is blowing.

As far as best inland course in Britain I would have to vote for Sunningdale.

Joe
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2006, 04:39:29 PM »
Joe, Isn't it nice to have such a choice!  We can all argue over the rankings, but there is no argument if you also include Swinley Forest, Walton Heath, St George's Hill and....

Mark_F

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2006, 10:24:12 PM »
PS: I wouldn't recommend the other course on offer at Woodhall Spa - the Bracken - it's terrible, and suggest you play 36 holes at the Hotchkin as you'll have a much more pleasureable experience

Kevin,

What is the land the Bracken course sits on like?  

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2006, 02:20:34 AM »
Kevin

Mark,

Very flat and uninspiring - the term 'paddock' is an apt description IMO

KP

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2006, 02:33:48 AM »
Kevin

Mark,

Very flat and uninspiring - the term 'paddock' is an apt description IMO

KP

I don't have the book here but it's also worth noting that the sandy heathlike land the Hotchkin course sits on is just large enough for 18 holes. The rest is much heavier stuff, probably clay.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2006, 02:56:47 AM »
Joe,

don't forced carries, especially if long reduce course strategy and therefor is more a negative than a positive? Having played both courses many times I find Ganton has much more 'rub of the green' where as Woodhall gives a more balanced reward to the shots hit. I also find Ganton allows you to scramble it around if your game is not on top form where as Woodhall is more exacting. Both courses are great and which is better has been a running debate over the last x decades. Personally if I am playing well and must shoot under par then I would play Woodhall otherwise I prefer Ganton as it requires more from the player.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back