News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Match play--WOOHOO
« on: February 12, 2006, 10:00:09 PM »
I'd love to see more than two match play tournaments every year.  Is there a way that match play could be made more exciting as a regular professional tournament?  I think it would be great if there were more match play tournaments, because it would open itself up to more courses, courses that would normally be considered too "short" or "easy" for medal play.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Sean Walsh

Re:Match play--WOOHOO
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 11:51:31 PM »
Not unless you give Tiger et al a mulligan/second chance.  Maybe if they organised it like Olympic Rowing and gave the best loser a repecharge event to re-qualify..  

That's the only way the networks would go for it.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 03:28:44 AM »
The problem with Match play from a TV perspective is that you could get a final between nobodies. The networks who plough loads of money into the tournament are understandably reluctant for this to happen. One potential solution is to have something like the Champions League in football (soccer):

Top 16 players are seeded. The next 32 in the world play off for the remaining 16 places in the mini league. 8 leagues of 4, the top player in each league goes through to the quarter finals. Straight knock-out from there.

It's not perfect but at least the networks are guaranteed 3 games for Tiger, Ernie, etc. Plus, in a league, you would expect the best players to come out on top and go through to the quarter finals. There's no guarantee though (see Porto and Liverpool's wins in the Champions League in 2004 and 2005).

Eric Franzen

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 03:40:29 AM »
The problem with Match play from a TV perspective is that you could get a final between nobodies.

Yes, IŽll guess I was one of the fifty people in the world who watched the broadcast of the final in World Match Play 2001 with Pierre Fulke (yes, he's from Sweden) and Steve Stricker.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 10:38:41 AM »
That damn USGA doesn't do a damn thing to protect this game. This time it's from slow play. If they promoted match play, the boys would come. Hell you could even market the broadcast like SWWG. And Maybe, just maybe, the lemmings that are Americans will follow suit by playing more match play, reesulting in better pace. ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 04:56:23 PM »
As wonderful as the match play format is for the playing of the game as a TV spectator format it'll never have a chance against stroke play.

SL_Solow

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 06:00:34 PM »
Adam; I hope you're kidding on this one.  The USGA, for all its flaws, has nothing to do with the PGA Tour schedule.  All the USGA tournaments, except for the Men's and Women's Opens are contested at match play.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 07:04:16 PM »
Don't forget the LPGA staged their first big match play event on TV last year.  As I recall, the two finalists were not within the top 30 (or even top 40) in the tour rankings and had very little "star" power to generate TV ratings.  I cannot imagine the TV network was exactly thrilled. As the Rolling Stones sang many years ago, "it's the singer, not the song."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back