News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan King

Where'd that tree come from?
« on: February 12, 2006, 09:38:13 AM »
Phil Mickelson making his charge on Saturday, hit a 360-yard drive on the 16th hole that ended up behind a cypress tree.

His complaint was that the tree wasn't in his yardage book.

"I hit a perfect drive on 16," Mickelson said, "and my yardage book was last updated December 21. And they have put a tree in there since then, and I was right behind it."

What Phil could have done is standing on the tee look out into the fairway to see if there might be a tree. But that would require real analysis, something few golfers want to ever bother with.

Scott Ostler of the S.F. Chronicle writes about long hitters not getting their usual advantage at Pebble, Spyglass and Poppy

Dan King
'm not sure why. I mean, I think, one, maybe experience is a little bit of a factor around these golf courses. Two, I think traditionally you have to putt well on these greens to play well. And I'm not sure what Arron has done, I have been able to putt well this week. I think that's still a great equalizer, a short game, that you can (use to) still compete with the long guys.
 --Mike Weir (on why long hitters aren't dominating at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am)

A_Clay_Man

Re:Where'd that tree come from?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 10:43:40 AM »
In Fairness to the hole, that tree is probably not visible until you get well over the hill. What Phil should've done was notice it when he played number three, but that is asking alot. ;)

I much prefer to bash the individual who is responsible for having that light bulb go off that reads; "Plant a tree here".

Amazing, simply amazing the level of ignorance.

From Scot's article;
The appearance of so many non-power-hitters on the leaderboard here is also a tribute to the people who run the tournament. They have sprinkled the courses with new trees and new bunkers designed to make this more of a test of accuracy and strategy, and less of a slugfest.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 11:19:28 AM by Adam Clayman »

Paul Payne

Re:Where'd that tree come from?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 06:36:01 PM »
I had not heard that quote but I find this extremely funny. Imagine him using the exact same logic except this time his car is wrapped around the tree rather than his ball sitting behind it. Seem funnier yet?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back