News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:If I mention a course in Ireland ......
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 11:53:02 AM »
Aidan:

Many thanks.  That does address the question perfectly, for me anyway.  I had forgotten that the golfers'-eye view would show mainly grass... as so many of our amateur photos do!

I just do still wonder about so many shots taken from the sides of holes... I understand that often is the best spot for the shots you describe - ie "an image that is arresting enough to stop the viewer long enough to ask "where is that course" or to read the accompanying copy" - these certainly achieve that aim.

But they also leave those of us who have played the course with an uncomfortable feeling... ie something to the effect that the shots are "unfair"... that is presenting the course in a light that never is going to matter while playing....

Oh hell, in the end it doesn't matter - your photos and those of other masters like Lambrecht et al are FANTASTIC, making those who haven't played a course want to, and adding to the dreams and memories of those who have... so in the end this is just a curiousity rather than any sort of complaint.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2006, 12:22:01 PM »
Tom,

From my perspective, photos taken from the "sides of hole" are done so for a few reasons.

1....It was the only decent shot of the hole.
2.....It was an additional shot of the hole.
3.....The angle of the sun prevented me from shooting from another view.
4.....The angle of the sun afforded me the opportunity of creating an image while not necessarily descriptive of that particular hole, however had sufficient "eye candy" to make it an attractive image.

Angle of the sun......... I try to shoot when the sun is at a 90 degree angle to my intended direction. Sun coming from behind and over the shoulder tends to render the image flat and devoid of interest. Sun directly in your face can do the same as well as create lens flare.

I will be in your neck of the woods next week. Playing Poppy,Pasatiempo, and Old Del Monte. Don't worry, I will leave lots of birdies out there for you.

Aidan.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2006, 12:24:28 PM »
Aidan:

That makes perfect logical sense.  But you see, I want you to fly around with a jet pack AND control the sun.  I have huge expectations of your powers.

Re your visit to our area, very cool!  Too bad you're not here now though... the weather this week is incredible... watch the AT&T.

;D

Doug Siebert

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2006, 01:55:24 AM »
Those are beautiful photos, but I wish they weren't photoshopped.

Oh, you think I really BELIEVE you when you say you were there on sunny days?  I've been to Ireland twice now, so I think I can say with some authority that the sun cannot be seen from anywhere in Ireland ;)

I assume the fences on Old Head are to prevent people from falling to their death (i.e., liability worries if they aren't there)  They don't have them along all the cliffs, but near greens like that I guess they figure some people might do something stupid to play a ball hit on the cliffside.  They are kind of ugly, but I can't see how any course with slopes that severe built today could get by without it, whether the drops are 20 feet or 200.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2006, 11:37:38 AM »
Doug

Re......."Those are beautiful photos, but I wish they weren't photoshopped."

You are more than welcome to stop into my office anytime and I will be happy to show you my original transpariences.

Re....." I've been to Ireland twice now, so I think I can say with some authority that the sun cannot be seen from anywhere in Ireland.

Having spent the first 22 years of my life in Ireland I believe I can speak with a little "authority" when I say, you have to be in the right place at the right time and have some patience. I hope you have abundant sunshine the next time you visit.

Aidan.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2006, 02:34:19 AM »
Aidan,

My post was a joke, I guess the humor was lost in the translation from US to UK English :)

I really do think your photos are wonderful, and I did actually see the sun one day during my first trip when I played at Connemara.  But admitting that would have ruined the joke! ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2006, 03:22:29 AM »
If heaven looks like those photos, I'll be real happy.  Or hell, for that matter.  

Andy Doyle

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2006, 08:23:10 AM »
Heaven would be being IN the photographs.  Hell would be looking longingly at them from a hotel room in Charlotte, which is what I'm doing right now.

Andy

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back