News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Zeni

Is It Just Me, Or Has The AT&T Pebble Beach...
« on: February 10, 2006, 11:17:52 PM »
...Pro/Am fallen to the bottom of the "strength of field" list?

I noticed it more today, than I ever have in the past.. Hell, Kevin Costner isn't even there. What good is the Pebble Beach Pro/Am without Tin Cup?

Maybe it's just that the current crop of Pro's are too few and too scattered out for the first 3 days, or that we see way too much of Ray Romano, and George Lopez who should be playing Pacific Grove and not marring the fairways of Pebble/Spyglass/or Poppy. And did anyone see James Woods literally chop at the ball today? For him, a hack would be a good thing.

The movie stars and legends that made the event famous have all but passed, and maybe that's contributed to the weak field. When the best USA can show is Mike Hulbert and former Jack Lemmon partner, Peter Jacobson, they've got a credibility problem.

It's a sorry turn of events for such a prime venue.

Michael Whitaker

Re:Is It Just Me, Or Has The AT&T Pebble Beach...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 11:21:35 PM »
Its just you.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 11:26:18 PM »
It would start to fall only when Bill Murray quits coming
 ;D

Plus the courses are so amazing to watch that it doesnt really matter the feild

Michael is right, it is just you

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 11:29:33 PM »
Tom,

You're right, the network and sponsors have taken most of the spots, versus the old days/ways.

It will never be the same because the guiding force is no longer a dynamic individual.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 11:35:50 PM »
Just speculation here, but some guys just seem to be tired of it, having gotten a taste of it in the past, or consciously avoid the different type of golf that event entails.  Mickelson seems to show up because he plays a lot on the West Coast and he likes paying back the Ford people.  Vijay genuinely seems to love the place and he shows up everywhere anyway.

Some of the big names are either continent-hopping (Johnnie Walker in Australia) or are resting (Dubai) - factor in the weather that usually accompanies this tournament and it's understandable that some of the bigger names might find other options more appealing than flying into California to watch it rain and deal with the biggest pro-am of them all.

It seems the tourney has detiorated the more it's gone from Crosby & Friends to CBS & Friends.  Thankfully there are still a few reasons for me to watch, if I needed anything more than the peninsula courses and some interesting shotmaking.  I can stomach the CEO's and the blatant CBS promos if it gets me my only chance to watch Bill Murray dance with an old woman in a bunker and see Neil Young dead-top a 3-iron on #17 and grant a rare interview to Gary McCord.

Peter Galea

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 01:17:41 AM »
Man...you guys have me biting my tongue. Probably best if I do too.
"chief sherpa"

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 07:19:47 AM »
Pete, I can do it.

If this thread's initial post doesnt illustrate the deterioration of the ethos of our beloved sport. It's turned into a baunch of naive industry insiders who espouse commercialized homoginized crap.

James woods swing look like a chop, but ya know what, he made the shot. I liked to see you'all get out there and hack it up with these guys. It ain't as easy as it looks.

Just the Tin Cup comment alone shows the ignorance that is this thread. That guy is the biggest premadonna of them all. Good ridance.

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 07:26:42 AM »
someone also made a comment since Clint Eastwood isnt as involved as he used to be the guy doing the pro am now doesnt quite get the respect as when Clint would call up and ask celebs to play

Mark Brown

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 10:23:59 AM »
I agree. I don't watch it until Sunday. Other than Bill Murray the stars have lost their luster. There is a time for everything and it's time make a major change at "The Crosby"
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 10:24:44 AM by Mark Brown »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 10:28:50 AM »
Hell, Kevin Costner isn't even there. What good is the Pebble Beach Pro/Am without Tin Cup?

Kevin Costner isn't there because he is the biggest prick in the field.  He demands that all of his expenses be paid and refuses to pay his entry fee.  The Pebble Beach foundation does give away a number of pro-am spots to celebrities but Costner was always rude and an ass hole to the others in the field.

The amateur field is always tough.   There are some spots given to AT&T (around 20), and then 10 or 20 spots allocated to the partners (Clint has given up his spot for the last few years).   Then there are a number of spots for the foundation, a few for the NCGA and well healed people around Monterey, two spots for the Crosbys, and then the celebraties.   Its a tough ticket no matter how you look at it although I see a few names every year that don't deserve to be in but at least they pay the entry fee.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 10:30:35 AM »
Ever since they left Cypress Point, it hasn't been the same.

And losing Bing and Phil Harris, that hurt too.  Anybody old enough to remember Phil Harris' wonderful ad lib when Gay Brewer was spotted coming down the 18th fairway, and Phil asked, "Isn't he that fairy winemaker from Modesto?"   ;D ;D

The change from the Crosby to the AT&T says all you need to know.

Tom Zeni

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 10:50:32 AM »
As I reread my post, no where did I say anything against the Monterey Peninsula, that I consider Holy Grail West. I've been there, played there, and can't think of a finer venue to enjoy our sport.

In fact, while I haven't played Augusta National, I've been there numerous times, and most recently the past three consecutive years. Having said that, to me, the 15th and 16th of Cypress Point is a more beloved sight than Amen Corner.

The post concerned the "quality of field." Sure, I'm prone to a sarcastic comment or two about the celebs, but geez, you can only take so much of that from what used to be giants in the industry, that provided entertainment, to the current TV sitcom personalities with few golfing skills. As for James Woods - in a dead shank, he chopped that shot off the tee into the heavy underbrush. As it was a par 3, his provisional, using a wood, barely made the fairway! Guys like that should not embarrass themselves.  In fact, it makes me cringe. If nothing else, they're the best advertisement for novices to take lessons.

Aside from the celebs, where's the PGA star power? I'll plead ignorance on how many of the top 25 are in this event, but other than Lefty, Singh, Weir, I haven't seen any.

Thanks for the pros/con's of my first post. I enjoyed them all.

Gene Greco

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 11:01:49 AM »
Ever since they left Cypress Point, it hasn't been the same.

I remember Paul Azinger's comment when CP was replaced by PH, 'It's like trading in Kim Basinger for Roseann Barr."
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 11:03:28 AM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Jim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 11:57:46 AM »
Three stories about Kevin Costner.  A while back he was playing the AT&T with Tiger.  Gary McCord, who apparently helped train him for Tin Cup, gave him a good-natured swing tip.  Kev glared at McCord and said with barely controlled anger, "You're not on the payroll anymore."  

Damn, any time Gary McCord wants to give me some tips on how to make my game better, I'll jump at the chance.  And I was a lot better golfer than KC Jones ever was.  

Second.  Costner was attending a hoity-toity dinner, and was seated next to royalty: the Queen of England, or someone else of nearly equal stature.  He reached over casually and took the dessert (or whatever) off her plate, and into his mouth.  Making clear who real royalty is.  

I saw the first incident on national TV, and read about the second.  

Final story has a personal touch.  Back in the early 90's, I dated an extremely beautiful girl for a short while.  She told me that one night while out with her girlfriends, some guy named Kevin tried to pick her up.  She refused, of course.  (?!)  She later learned the guy was Kevin Costner.  

I'm not so sure about the refusal.  But it does give hope to us ordinary guys that that rock&roll gods don't always bed the heroine.  

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 01:13:22 PM »
People are people,whether famous or not.Mostare nice and appreciative,and a few aren't.I didn't like watching the amateurs then or now.It is worse with CBS using Sat to push its stars.However,does the tournament harm golf?,does it support charity? and does it honor the place and those who created it?As long as those answers are yes it seems to have a place.

Gene Greco

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2006, 07:08:40 PM »

Final story has a personal touch.  Back in the early 90's, I dated an extremely beautiful girl for a short while.  She told me that one night while out with her girlfriends, some guy named Kevin tried to pick her up.  She refused, of course.  (?!)  She later learned the guy was Kevin Costner.  

I'm not so sure about the refusal.  But it does give hope to us ordinary guys that that rock&roll gods don't always bed the heroine.  

Jim:

Got another. US Open 1995 at Shinnecock.

Obviously, I had to work at some point during the week and had a particularly busy day scheduled on that Tuesday of Open week.

Told my wife to use the clubhouse season passes with one of her girlfriends and to meet me at about 3:30 pm at a certain spot beside the clubhouse. An ongoing buffet and open bar was served for most of the day and the veranda at Shinnecock is a wonderful spot to view the course and the action on 1 tee, 18 fairway and 9 green.

I arrive at the course after a busy, condensed day with a regular Open day pass so I am prohibited from entering the clubhouse. A fairly steady rain starts to fall outside so I grabbed some shelter next to the nearest beer concession and waited. (Bud, Bogey Hendren ;))

3:30.....3:45....4:00....4:15

No wife.

One of my patients joins me for another brew and mentions he has a clubhouse ticket and is happy to give it to me as he was on his way out. I pay for the beers trade a few stories with him, finish the brew and head into the clubhouse.

I am soaking wet, tired from a hard days work and towing two bags of souveniers.

I peek into the dining room standing there like a wet rag and there's Kevin entertaining my wife and her girlfriend with them hanging on his every word.

I watched for a while somewhat amused and was spotted by my wife's girlfriend who waved me over to join the circle of "royalty".

I was a little popped from the three beers and all I could moronically utter upon entering the social circle was, "Lucy, you got some 'splaiin' to do."

Sir Kevin was not impressed and quickly excused himself to avoid being seen in the company of some plebian.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 07:10:11 PM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tom Zeni

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 07:23:27 PM »

"Lucy, you got some 'splaiin' to do."

With the conditions you stated, that was a priceless line! I doubt you could have thought for another hour and not come up with one better.

And here I thought Tin Cup was just a "fun lovin' guy." At least that's what he told Renee Russo.

ps, not sure how to fully do the quote yet, but I'll work on it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 07:27:22 PM by Tom Zeni »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back