News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Building a hole...
« on: January 26, 2006, 02:47:16 PM »
...across a driving range?

Is this even conceivable? Have a tee box perpendicular to, and near the practice tee and let the hole cross the very front of the range so golfers can walk around the back of the practice tee to play the hole.

On a tight space and a non-busy club this could be a huge space saver.

...could also make a few personal injury lawyers very rich.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 02:48:30 PM by Kyle Harris »

Jordan Wall

Re:Building a hole...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 02:53:24 PM »
I suppose it could work but I would rather be that personal injury lawyer then the golfer
 ;D

It would be a different concept, but it could definitely work out.  I still think it would be weird teeing off in front of a driving range though, but thats just me.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 02:54:16 PM by Jordan Wall »

GDStudio

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 04:46:59 PM »
This is a bit of a reversal, but...

The course I played in high school didn't have a range so during golf season (and at various times throughout the year) a spot between the 8th and 9th holes (near the clubhouse) was used as a range.  The problem was that there was only about 25 yards between fairways and the only good teeing spot was angled towards the 8th fairway directly towards the first landing zone for the 8th (short to medium par 5).

Now there was 3 teams (approx. 30 golfers) on any given evening practicing along with regular members.  

You either had to have a really good eye on where your ball landed, or don't go in the landing zone (which was never a problem with my game).

As far as I know, it is still this way and has never really been an issue except for important matches.

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 05:01:41 PM »
While it no longer applies since they moved some holes around but the 18th at St. Davids in St. Davids, PA played perpendicular to their short driving range.  Limited flight balls were used.  

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 09:32:08 PM »
Memphis Country Club's First hole plays through there practice area albeit a small practice area.

Lawrence

JNC Lyon

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 10:26:26 PM »
I've heard the first hole at Apawamis is basically the driving range, is this true??  It sounds like a fun concept.  Imagine how much pressure there would be on your first tee shot:  everyone in the practice area would stop to watch you hit, you'd be shaking, hoping to make the 150-yard carry.  The ultimate embarrassment would be duffing the ball into the middle of the range and having to play it out in front of a huge gallery.  The more I think about it, the more I like the idea!!
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 01:07:37 AM »
The first hole at Wheatley Hills crosses the driving range

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 08:21:46 AM »
The practice tee at Garden City is practically right in front of the first tee, too.  It's slightly offset to the right and there is a separate (short) fairway to hit practice balls to.  But when a group is teeing off one, players on the left half of the practice tee have to get out of the way.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 08:30:20 AM »
I haven't played there in awhile and the course has been renovated since but the end of the driving range at Twin Orchards in Chicago crossed the fairway of one of the holes there. I think the club used yellow balls on the range.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 08:46:38 AM »
Based on the google maps aerial, it seems like Deepdale CC on Long Island has a par 3 across their range.

I'm sure the 8 people that played there last season didn't mind.  ;)

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 08:49:18 AM »
I have sketched this more than once! It would work if the playeer was kept from the active range area by a barrier (a cliff, etc.). At The Pit in Pinehurst the end of the range range encroaches on the right side of No. 10...the hole is literally a dog-leg around the range. It works because the drop-off to the range is a steep bank that forms a hazard edge.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 08:55:20 AM »
Forrest,

I actually was motivated by "Routing the Golf Course" and the 13th hole at Whitney Ranch Mesa.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 10:00:25 PM »
We have recently proposed two crossing par-3s. They cross over a pond.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Kyle Harris

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 10:06:55 PM »
Thanks Forrest... check your IM.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back