News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Johnson

Golf Courses near Augusta
« on: January 16, 2006, 09:24:36 PM »
Four of us will be heading down from Western Canada to Augusta, Georgia, for a few days in late March/early April, taking in the Monday practice round of the Masters. We fly home Tuesday morning, so we'd like to get in some golf [of our own!] prior to the Monday practice round.

Wondering if any of you can comment on any of the following courses which I've been looking at on the Net...

http://www.aikengolfclub.com/
http://www.cedarcreek.net/golf/
http://www.goshenplantation.com/
http://www.mountvintage.com/
http://georgiagolf.com/net/go/georgiagolf.aspx?s=7430.7418.2.17
http://georgiagolf.com/net/go/georgiagolf.aspx?s=7458.110.2.17

The four of us vary in handicap, from a couple of high single digits to a 15 and an 18. We only have time for 2 or 3 rounds. We're staying west of Augusta [Thomson] for 5 nights.

I'd appreciate reading your comments on any of the above courses, or others that you'd recommend in the area.

Thanks.

JJ

Jordan Wall

Re:Golf Courses near Augusta
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 09:32:18 PM »
Cuscowilla is close too, I think...maybe an hour away from what I have heard...it's a C&C design, and everybody thats played seems to have high reviews on it!!

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 09:42:46 PM »
absolutely get reservations and expect to see higher than usual greens fees for the courses closer to Augusta. Just like the motel rooms supply and demand curve!

Jim Johnson

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 09:44:25 PM »
No kidding Don.

Our room rate goes up every time the sun comes up!

Mark Brown

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 11:36:47 PM »
In Greensboro, GA: (just over an hour on I-20). Reynolds Plantation has four courses, incl. Nicklaus, Fazio, Rees Jones, Bob Cupp, Port Armor- a Cupp course, Cuscowilla (Crenshaw) The Harbor Club (Weiskopf & Moorish)

Call now and plan on paying about $150 to $200+

Near Anderson, GA (Toccoa,) fairly new Jim Fazio foot-hill mountain course named Currahee. Dramatic, spectacular holes. A lot of long golf cart rides, but it's worth it. On I-85

Paul Payne

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 09:34:19 AM »
If you play within a 40 mile radius of Augusta green fees will be sky high. In spite of that there are still some course worth playing.

My first recommendation would be the Aiken CC. It is a very fun old member design from around 1912. It is not long (6200) but is designed well for the average player. The fairways are just generous enough but they will select teeing angles that will challenge you almost every hole. The greens are superb. Undulating and fast. They are hard to hold and tricky to putt, but not because they are rock hard, they are very well cared for. Fees are usually low so inflated fees are still under $80.

The Palmetto Club is a great MacKenzie course which was built around the same time. It was THE course in the area before they built ANGC. It has one of the best par three holes I've played I think it is number 5 or 6. It is also short but sometimes that doesn't matter. It is private but not that hard to get on to.

If you want to get onto a newer course you should play Mount Vintage Plantation in North Augusta. Green fees will be jacked to the hilt, but it is a great course and one of the most beautiful in the area. The terrain is very similar to ANGC. They play an LPGA event there every year.

Also rans are Cedar Creek and The other local privates. If you have connections then don't ignore Sage Valley. That is a course I will likely never set foot on but wish I could.

If you have a love for older courses there are some fun WPA type courses in the state park system. My favorites are the ones at Stone Mountain in Atlanta and the course at Hard Labor Creek just west of Conyers. If you fly into Atlanta you might consider those. There are a LOT of good courses in Atlanta, but I should shut up now.

Have a great trip.

Jason Tetterton

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 09:40:41 AM »
Palmetto Golf Club (803) 649-2951

http://palmettogolfclub.net/index.html

Tee times are filling up for the week of the Masters.  I think the fee is around $160 -165 range for that week.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 09:44:13 AM »
Paul Payne's advice is excellent.

As a practical matter, if your guys ride in carts then Mount Vintage is ideal. They won't let you walk and if you did it would take six hours anyway (long, hilly walks between holes) but it's one of the few courses I'll play again even though I have to ride in a cart.

Palmetto and Aiken GC were laid out before golf carts took over. Totally walkable.

Cuscowilla is in between. Walkable but a little spread out in a few places. If you have any diehard walkers in your group consider Cuscowilla as a high-end modern course and either Palmetto or Aiken as somewhat more affordable classics.

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 09:45:16 AM »
Try Forest Hills (Ross, '24) and Augusta CC (Ross, '24, private) in Augusta.

Don't miss Palmetto (Leeds, 1895, some MacKenzie, '32, semi-private) in Aiken.

And then there is Cuscowilla, about an hour east towards Atlanta and Mike Young's Cateechee about an hour north toward Elberton.

Expect high prices, difficult access and slow rounds. Any other time of the year, none of the foregoing would be an issue. The world comes to Augusta the first week in April with the golf fever. Your best bet may be to head north towards the I-85 corridor and play Cateechee and others in that area.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Bob

Brent Hutto

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 09:47:56 AM »
Even here in Columbia, SC (70 miles up I-20) any halfway decent course will be a zoo that week. The whole thing is kind of like Spring Break except with green hats instead of wet T-shirts.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 10:06:02 AM »
I highly recommend Arrowhead Pointe At Lake Richard B. Russell State Park. It is an outstanding course and one of the most scenic you will ever play. It will be one of the highlights of your trip. They also offer lakeside rental cottages which are only 15 miles from Cateechee. If the cottages are still available it could make for a nice home base for a couple of days of area golf. Since Arrowhead Pointe and the cottages are owned by the state of Georgia, hopefully they won't jack the prices up too high during Masters week.

Here is a link to the Arrowhead Pointe website: http://www.arrowheadpointegc.com/introduction.htm

Brent - You CAN walk Cateechee. Why anyone would want to do it is beside me, but it is allowed. I saw a young Japanese man take off at Cateechee with a three-wheeled trolley and assumed we would be waiting all day behind him as he struggled up and down those hillls... never saw him after the first hole! Very impressive!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 10:07:21 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 10:31:57 AM »
Many of the area courses have morning and afternoon shotgun starts Masters week.  These are miserable, tiresome rounds when the course is filled with twice a year golfers.  Your jacked up greens fee may include a lunch.  I would make sure that wasn't what the course was offering that day.  

john_stiles

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 10:42:19 AM »
I agree with the above;   Cateechee, Palmetto GC, Aiken GC, Cuscowilla, and Hard Labor state park.

Also add  Persimmon Hill in Saluda.

Also add  The Patriot Golf Club at Grand Harbor.  It is a nice private course, and normally welcomes visitors.  It is near Ninety Six & Greenwood, SC.   It might be too far for some, and may not be as welcoming during Masters week.

And if you need one more round, and can't get any of the above; there is always the 9 hole Uncle Remus golf course in Eatonton.   The only place where I wished I could have bought a logo shirt and could not.  It is not GCA worthy but if if you can't play anywhere else, well, there is Uncle Remus.  Bring friends, and a few six packs and enjoy.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 11:28:56 AM »
I highly recommend Arrowhead Pointe At Lake Richard B. Russell State Park. It is an outstanding course and one of the most scenic you will ever play. It will be one of the highlights of your trip. They also offer lakeside rental cottages which are only 15 miles from Cateechee. If the cottages are still available it could make for a nice home base for a couple of days of area golf. Since Arrowhead Pointe and the cottages are owned by the state of Georgia, hopefully they won't jack the prices up too high during Masters week.

Here is a link to the Arrowhead Pointe website: http://www.arrowheadpointegc.com/introduction.htm

Brent - You CAN walk Cateechee. Why anyone would want to do it is beside me, but it is allowed. I saw a young Japanese man take off at Cateechee with a three-wheeled trolley and assumed we would be waiting all day behind him as he struggled up and down those hillls... never saw him after the first hole! Very impressive!

Michael is right on the money.  It's about 100 miles from the Catechee/Arrowhead Pt. area to Augusta, but not a bad drive.  Both are just tremendous golf courses, and Arrowhead is one of the best kept secrets in the country, IMO.  
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 01:48:05 PM »
A.G. - Arrowhead Pointe is not as much of a secret anymore as Golf Digest listed the course on their Best New Affordable list this year. With a weekend/holiday rate of $42 it might be the best bang for your buck in the country. People don't believe me until they see the course... it is an amazingly fun and beautiful place to spend a day playing golf. Couple AP with the park's lakeside cottages, a round at Cateechee and an evening at Cateechee's restaurant/bar you would have one hell of a great weekend of golf, food, and frivolity.

Mr. Pavlov, I'm salivating!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jim Johnson

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 08:51:33 PM »
Thanks for the comments, guys.

We'll let you know how things turn out.

JJ

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 02:54:43 PM »
Cuscowilla is a very walkable course with a very good caddie program.  You better call them asap www.cuscowilla.com for Masters week and you're likely going to need to stay on property to have access as it will be mostly member play that week.  

Read Ran's review of Cuscowilla and your choice should be simple!    

Brian Noser

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 03:00:08 PM »
I am going to through this out there although I know nothing about this course and I do not know if it is close to ANGC. My dad has a friend who keeps telling me and my father to come visit him at his home course in alpharetta, GA ,white coloums or somthing I think it is a fazio course any one know of this one?

John_Cullum

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 04:01:07 PM »
White columns is very good, but is nowhere near Augusta. I believe it is a Fazio course. Originally a CCFAD but now private.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John_Cullum

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 05:00:05 PM »
If I were in your position, travelling from Thomson, I would concentrate my efforts around Athens. It wont be overrun with the Masters crowd or have the jacked up prices. Its only about an hour from Thomson. Athens CC is legendary, but private, they have been generous with reciprocity historically; although the unaccompanied rate is a bit high. UGA is good, as is Jennings Mill.

The Aiken/Augusta courses will be crowded and overpriced, as will the Lake Oconee courses.

You should also give serious consideration to driving about 85 miles south to Statesboro to play Forest Heights. It will be in great shape, uncrowded, and a bargain. It has tall pines and azaleas too.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jim Johnson

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 08:45:45 PM »
Thanks again, guys.

I appreciate all of the advice.

JJ

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back