News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

2005 Thread of the Year
« on: December 31, 2005, 10:44:05 AM »
It's standard practice, at this time of the year, for pundits to name their choice for Folly of the Year, and movie critics to name their Top 10 of the Year, etc.

What were the top threads (and posts) of 2005?

There is no doubt in my mind that the 2005 Thread of the Year is currently in progress, Shivas D. Schmidt's thread on The 1st Annual Tournament of the Honourable whatever of the Reverse Jans Course.

These guys have too much time on their hands and luckily their liability insurance is large and paid up.

Funniest thing I've read in years.   ;D

Please feel free to nominate other Threads of the Year.

A_Clay_Man

Re:2005 Thread of the Year
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 11:04:55 AM »
Not sure if it was this year, but that guy who paid to let the rabbit ride at Pebble Beac,h was certainly a top contender for a golf bizzaro world.

Bill, The Reverse Jans is also very special to me, but may suffer because its release date is so close to the balloting. However, If you look at that aerial and can make out the lock between the canal and the lake, that was my fishin' hole as a kid. So it hits very close to home.

Other worhty nominees:
Cary's Lakota Canyon thread
New v. Old PB's 5th
Ran's slight addition to Sand Hills

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 11:26:54 AM »
I nominate Shivas'  Not Quite the Pizza Guy, but --- they're everywhere thread.

Starts out with a serendipitous discussion with a perfect stranger on the commute home (bonus points for 24 oz. cold one in hand) about cuffed khakis that evolves into the Sand Hills constellation routing map.  The thread quickly devolves into a discussion on where to buy khakis, only to be rudely hijacked by Wayne Morrison and Mike Cirba discussing architectural attribution for Pine Meadow and Phillmont North.  Quick high-brow potshot from Hammy as well.  

Seinfeldish.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=19785

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Paul Payne

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 11:37:29 AM »
I think Shivas report on the reverse Jans is probably the most entertaining thread I have read. Hats off to some extreme creativity.

On the other hand I have wondered if the thread on the impact of the Arts and Crafts movement on golf course design might have set a record. Last I looked they were at something like 22 or 23 pages. Has anyone seen a longer thread posted? That is something like 3% of the total pages in the web site. They have got my vote for tenacity.

redanman

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 11:47:28 AM »
Current "most posts" leaders (all-time)

Rees Jones article in Cigar Aficionado                      606
Arts & Crafts sidetrack                                         570
New Golfweek Rankings                                              469
OT: Wie and the men                                              454
Did Tillinghast "Sell Out"?                                          429
Questions about the 2004 Golfweek list                           389
I Hate Golfers                                                            372
Rees pieces alive and well in Rancho Santa Fe, CA.       356
OSU Scarlet restoration                                         336
USGA renewal notice                                                 332

Current "most viewed"

Who Are You Guys(revisited)?                                     24012
Who are you guys......really???                              20679
New Golfweek Rankings                                               14493
Rees Jones article in Cigar Aficionado                              13639
Questions about the 2004 Golfweek list                           12203
Posting (ass) Pictures - Free                                       12070
Hidden Creek - Good News and ........                            10169
Original Pine Valley Blueprint for sale on Ebay            10030
OT: Wie and the men                                                 9702
I Hate Golfers                                                              9636

Looks like "Cigar" will wind up as an also-ran soon

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 12:29:30 PM »
Perhaps there should be an award for Most Cantankerous Thread, or perhaps Most Long-winded Thread.  Each is certainly possible!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 01:09:52 PM »
The arts & crafts sidetrack has considerably reduced my enjoyment of this website! :-[ I saw one thread (which I unfortunately can't locate now) where TEPaul challenged the premises of the Arts and Crafts essays. So I went and read the first one. After having it nearly put me to sleep, I decided I wasn't going attempt (being the typical plodding reading and writing engineer  that I am) the thread. It wasn't until this morning that I realized where all my enjoyment from reading this website, that is the reading of what TEPaul has to say, went. It has gone to the arts & crafts sidetrack!

I VOTE NO on that thread!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 01:28:53 PM »
Well here we go again, descending into the valley of the lists.  It is like a canto from Dante. ::)  TRJC gets my vote, if we must compile yet another list of mosts...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 02:08:30 PM »
I gotta go with the Pebble Beach Bunny! :D

WAIT:  I just say the picture enhanced Reverse Jans thread, so now I must reconsider my vote
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 02:26:19 PM by Paul Thomas »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 05:19:56 PM »
Surely "Finally played Augusta" by Turboe was one of the best...

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Mike Benham

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 05:26:08 PM »
I nominate "The Worst Feature Interview" for Thread of the Year for the simple joy it brought to Ran to recount his crushings of many a GCAer ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Dunne

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 05:29:52 PM »
Peter Herreid's story (and the pictures to prove it) of the Pebble Beach Bunny created perhaps the greatest thread I have seen anywhere, ever.

"Peewee wanted to see Pebble before he died..."  ;)

Jason Mandel

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 08:20:41 PM »
Peter Herreid's story (and the pictures to prove it) of the Pebble Beach Bunny created perhaps the greatest thread I have seen anywhere, ever.

"Peewee wanted to see Pebble before he died..."  ;)

after reading that wsj article maybe the owner can get pee-wee on augusta before he dies as well ;D
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 01:57:48 AM »
My memory is a little foggy, but was Tom MacWood's bunker quiz thread in 2005? If so, that's a slam dunk winner to me.

I enjoy the endless debate on Colt v Crump at PV, but I could see how others might not.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back