News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

Re:too many PGA's at Whistling Straits?!?!
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 09:41:45 AM »
I love Valhalla and think the course has earned its championships on its own merits, but...The PGA owns Valhalla...they actually bought the course from the owner/members...not that there is anything wrong with that.

The reason was they wanted to have a go-to course in case of a last-minute problem with the scheduled course, ala Shoal Creek.  It's a backup course that can be made ready for a major in a very short period of time.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2005, 10:47:53 AM »
let's see, it was there last year, it's there in 2010, and again in 2015...

proved to be a great tournament last year, seemed to truly test the players, and a non-fluker won, but...

I still think that's too many PGAs at the same place in too short a time frame:  3 in 12 years!

agree?
How about too many Masters at the same place? :)
Let's see there was last year and this year, it's there in 2006, and again in 2007...
proved to be a great tournament last year, seemed to truly test the players, and a non-fluker won, but... :)
I still think that's too many Masters at the same place in too short a time frame: 4 in 4 years! :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2005, 10:51:04 AM »
I enjoyed he course, but I'm a little surprised by the number of times they locked it up already.  Seems like they got a little over-excited about the venue and at the same time got worried that the USGA was going to barge in.

Didn't they already sign up for a Ryder Cup here too?
Actually, I believe the USGA wanted it, but were dragging their feet. Therefore, the PGA made a pre-emtive strike and locked it up for as far into the future as they could.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2005, 10:57:48 AM »
:(
Sorry, I usually read a thread through so I don't post redundant info.
However, after my "it's time to change the majors" thread, I jumped in to have fun with this one.

PThomas

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2005, 11:06:25 AM »
Garland - I think that's what makes the Masters unique:  the fact that it's the only one the goes back to the same site

I think if the PGA went back to match play that would elevate its status big time for the same reason:  it would be the only match play major...

..but that will never happen due to TV money :(
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2005, 11:07:13 AM »
Honestly, I can think of no better course to host the championship of the professional game.  Plenty of length, no need for set-up gimmickry, super pucker factor at 17 and 18, abundant two dimensional eye-candy (I like a course that looks good on the tube, seriously) and the only remaining natural defense against the best players in the world - wind.  

Architecture should be an irrelevant factor in site selection for this particular event.  Let's not fool ourselves.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 11:31:37 AM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2005, 12:17:05 PM »
Steve Lapper is exactly correct.  It is $$$$.  Herb Kohler is perhaps the most zealous golf nut in the kingdom.  He has shown them the $$$.  

It is a fine tournament course.  It put up all that the best could handle.  It isn't a course that will endear to most of us GCA.com types, like a Friars Head or Pac Dunes, etc.  But, it has the bones to host a great competition.  

The only thing that went as predicted that was a negative was all the injuries from spectators taking diggers down the slippery fescue faux dunes.  The footing was treacherous.  They even had news stories about that.  But, I suspect they will tweak that aspect even more for the coming toon-a-mints that the Straits will hold.  

Interestingly, there was enough infrastructure in the Sheboygan and vacinity area to accomodate the influx of people.  They appeared to pull off a very successful event, and particularly for a first time organization of such a big show.

Sure, I'd like to see the PGA contested over more interesting courses, particularly new highly acclaimed venues.  But, which of the new venues can bring together all the ammenities, support, and security of a deep pocketed "godfather" that WS and old man Kohler can offer?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2005, 12:50:11 PM »
Whether you like the course or not, I think it helps the PGA to play their championship on such a distinctive venue.  Whistling Straits, whatever else it is, ain't bland.  The PGA either tries to be US Open lite - toughening up a classic venue like Oak Hill or Baltusrol, but never going over the top like the USGA - or they go to some modern, eminently forgettable place like Sahalee, Vahalla or Oak Tree.  Whistling Straits is modern but memorable (at least visually - the TV camera loves it), plus it has the allure of maybe having the weather play a role in the outcome, which almost never happens in a US Open or PGA.  By going there often, the PGA has sort of pre-empted the USGA staging an Open there (who cares about the Senior Open?).  Whistling Straits has become their venue, which is not a bad thing for a major that is always struggling for an identity.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2005, 04:16:47 PM »
3 in 12 years is alot, but it is one hell of a course;)

Sean Leary

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2005, 06:27:12 PM »
Would the same complaint be there if the USGA played 3 US Opens at Shinnecock, Pinehurst ar Pebble in 12 years? While WS isn't in the same league as those three, what Mike Hendren said is correct. It is the one course that can stand up to the pros on it's own merits without being tricked up.  What that course will do is identify who plays best that week. And as a viewer on TV it is more intriging to watch than at Baltrusrol, or OAkland Hills or Southern Hills or Valhalla or Sahalee or any of the other championship rota courses.

Top it off with the financial benefits of Kohler and it is a no brainer for the PGA of America.

PThomas

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2005, 07:08:28 PM »
yes I would have the same thought Sean....the majors should be rotated around the entire country to allow more people to see and enjoy the game's best players on (hopefully) great courses...this is especially important during this time as the game is not growing...letting more people see in person the premier events can help with this

and of course I realize a lot - Most?- of these decisions are based on $$$$$, but that certainly doesn't make it right eithr

and just exactly what does the PGA do with all that money anyway?

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tim Bert

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2005, 11:03:50 PM »
The shame of it all is that the best factor it has going for it - the wind - is most ridiculous right around US Open time.  My understanding (second hand) is that it is typically quite a bit tamer in August.

When I played it in June a few years ago the wind played a huge part in every single shot.

It didn't seem like it was quite as extreme for the Championship.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back