News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Los Cabos Update?
« on: December 01, 2005, 01:06:23 PM »
It looks as though I'll be doing a quick trip to Los Cabos in January.  I'll have time for one and only one round of golf.  But yes that one round will happen.  It's been a couple years since I've been down there... so my questions for this astute group...

1.  Is the re-do of El Dorado complete?  

2.  I've played every course down there except Querencia and what they now call "Raven GC".  I assume the latter is what used to be called Cabo San Lucas CC.   Should I see what I can do to play Querencia?  Is this "Raven" worth doing?  Note I really enjoyed both courses at Cabo del Sol and a repeat there would work...

I'd appreciate any thoughts, especially from those who have been down there recently.  Note also cost is an issue, but I typically have a what the hell it's only money attitude when on vacation.  My wife doesn't share this however, not when it comes to golf.

;)

Jimmy Muratt

Re:Los Cabos Update?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 01:23:50 PM »
Tom,

When I was in Cabo two years ago, I played Querencia and the Ocean course at Cabo del Sol.  I would recommend Querencia, especially since you haven't seen it yet.  It is definitely one of the better Fazios that I have played.  It is set well back from the water and more in the mountains.  There are some excellent holes and some very interesting green complexes.  The course gets very little play and is kept in wonderful condition.  I flew around the course when I played, there are usually few golfers on the course from what I've heard.

Guest at Las Ventanas al Paraiso get privileges at Querencia (since it's a private club).  There was a Shell's Wonderful World of Golf match there a couple of years ago between Sergio and Mickelson.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 01:28:56 PM »
Jimmy - muchas gracias.  I've been informed off-line that El Dorado is still in process, so that's out.  I love both CdeS courses, so either of them works.  But I do remain intrigued about Querencia.  Your take there helps me a lot... I recall seeing it on TV and it looked really cool... So I guess I'll try to make that happen, and if I can, great, if not, either CdeS course will show us a good time for sure.

TH

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 01:45:44 PM »
Tom,

Here is a link to Querencia's website, they have a good hole by hole tour with excellent pictures:  

http://www.loscabosquerencia.com/index2.php?page=gallery

A few of my favorite holes are the 4th, 6th, 9th, 14th, and 17th.  

« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 01:46:10 PM by Jimmy Muratt »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 01:49:57 PM »
JImmy - whoa - thanks for that.  OK, the juices are flowing.

;D

TH

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 01:56:20 PM »
Tom,

I am going down for a couple of days and I am playing at Palmilla, with a member there and the Cabo something or other, which is the better of the two courses.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 02:01:26 PM »
Bob:

I found all three nines at Palmilla to be pretty equal, all three very dramatic desert/ocean golf.  One gets you down to the water better than others, but to no extent close to the drama of your home courses.   ;)  So no difference there.

As for the two courses at Cabo del Sol, one is Nicklaus (the Ocean), the other is Weiskopf (the Desert).

Ocean gets you more down by the water, hence the name.  it is also more famous and higher rated by those magazine fools.   ;)

Desert seemed to me to be quirkier and offer more strategic choices on shots, in general (though there are a lot on Ocean as well).

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either - both are great.  Ocean does however have a golf hole (#17) quite similar to #14 MPCC Dunes, with a very dramatic back tee perched in the rocks, with the shot over the ocean and rocks to the green in the distance - in fact it's eeriely similar to your home hole in that respect.  And just like that hole, it is a very thrilling shot.  #16 is also a great hole, longish par 4 going down toward the ocean with a very neat skyline green... and #18 is like an inverse #18 Pebble as a par 4.  That is the ocean is on your right and you play alongside - it's a great hole as well.  Desert doesn't have a 3 hole stretch like the finish at Ocean.  But still Desert is a damn fine course.  I guess favor Ocean a little, but don't feel disappointed if the only one you get to play is Desert.

Note Querencia is the one private club - check out the link Jimmy posted.  I haven't played that one - it looks VERY dramatic.

TH

« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 02:03:53 PM by Tom Huckaby »

JWL

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 04:45:01 PM »
Tom

I just returned from Cabo.   The ElDorada course is all grassed out but still growing in.   There are a lot of finishing touches, walls, plantings, etc. that haven't been completed yet.
As you probably know, the course is not completely private and will not be available to resort play.    The new holes and bunker revisions should be ready to play in the late spring.
Cabo del Sol is in excellent condition and now has new Champion Ultra Dwarf on the greens, like ElDorado.   Palmilla still has TifDwarf, but they are well maintained, although somewhat more grainy.  Since you were there some new bunkering has been added and the 16th green, to which you referred, has been lowered and moved back closer to the water's cliff edge.   It is even more dramatic than before in our opinion.

I can't speak about Querencia

I hope you enjoy your trip to Cabo.   Jack and I will be visiting on Dec 9th and 10th.  

JWL

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 04:47:30 PM »
Tom,
I sjould have added that several changes have been made to the Desert Course also, which I believe has improved the course.   It was done for development purposes and to eliminate the 3rd hole which was so disliked by most players.
Enjoy.

Raymond

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 04:50:07 PM »
Tom,

I had the opportunity to play Querencia a few years ago and it was outstanding. It had interesting shot options, the greens were nicely contoured with appropriate speed, the maintenance was superb, and there were only 2-3 other groups on the entire course. It's a must try if you get the opportunity.

Ray

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 04:51:24 PM »
JWL - muy muchas gracias!

Man ask and ye shall receive, from the direct sources - is this website great or what.  Remind me to stop giving Ran crap and thank him again.   ;D

OK, this seals the deal.  While I'd like to see Querencia, it becomes second priority behind CdeS, and methinks I have to cajole my way into playing both.  I am just dying of curiousity about the new third hole om Desert.... and your description of Ocean #16 green has me freakin' drooling.  Good lord it was awesome before... but yes there was room behind... man that sounds incredible.

I didn't hate #3 Desert before, btw.  I kinda liked it.  But of course I do like nearly everything.

TH

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 04:52:32 PM »
Tom,

I had the opportunity to play Querencia a few years ago and it was outstanding. It had interesting shot options, the greens were nicely contoured with appropriate speed, the maintenance was superb, and there were only 2-3 other groups on the entire course. It's a must try if you get the opportunity.

Ray

Ray - darn it, and my mind was just made up.   ;)
OK, Querencia does need to be seen also.  It's gonna be a very tough choice.  I may have to just leave it up to the golf gods.

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back