News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Where would they play golf? Somewhere in England
« on: November 21, 2005, 09:51:22 PM »
I'm watching "Rebecca". The constable says to Maxim "Let's play golf when this is all over." Earlier in the movie a body was found at Edgcomb; some 40 km upchannnel.I'm guessing that Mandalay , the homestead, was in Devon.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 09:23:17 AM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

Bob_Huntley

Re:Where would they play golf? Somewhere in England
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 11:14:30 AM »
Manderley was in Cornwall.

Bob

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 01:28:59 PM »
 "Manderley"--thanks. So that narrows it down to.....
AKA Mayday

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 01:57:10 PM »
All the best Cornish courses are on the coast - I imagine St Enodoc would be a suitable place, West Cornwall, Bude & North Cornwall, Trevose, Perranporth, Carlyon Bay, Newquay, Falmouth, Whitsand Bay and Mullion will all have been around in those days.  At a quick glance I don't think there were many inland courses in Cornwall at that time(Buddock Vean Hotel 1922, Launceston 1927, Looe 1933, St Austell 1911, Tehidy Park 1922, Truro 1937), but when precisely is Rebecca dated?

Andy Hughes

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 01:58:55 PM »
Heh.
Mayday, I caught part if it as well last night!
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 02:04:20 PM »
 Mark,

The movie was made in 1940. It seemed to be set in that timeframe. Maxim was certainly from the upper class. I imagine the constable could have been from that class as well . But he may have been from  the middle class. I wish I could pick up those clues from their speech patterns.

Andy,

Those classic movies are so good.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 02:05:02 PM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 02:35:41 PM »
Now that you mention it, I think it was written in the late 20s but set in the 30s - any of those courses will do, then.  I very much doubt if the constable would have spoken in the same accent as Maxim - he'd surely have been a local.  The police often had favourable membership rates at thier local club, as often also did the clergy.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 03:13:47 PM »
At last a subject on GCA that I know something about, the films of Alfred Hitchcock! It's a little known fact that Selsnick wanted him to make a film called 'Titanic' until he heard about the yet to be relased Rebecca.

Most of Du Mauriers work was based on the landscape of cornwall and in particular the Lizard peninsular where she lived, near Helford.

I'm goin with Marks suggestion of Mullion.
Let's make GCA grate again!

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 03:23:15 PM »
 Now that is some good work. Wait until I show this to my wife tonight. She already thinks you guys are wacko!

So, Mark, I guess the constable suggested they play golf because other than going to the pub (which happened in the movie) what else could they do together? Certainly not hunt!
AKA Mayday

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 10:43:27 PM »
Mayday,

You have to remember that in England the constable was the cop on the beat, the Chief Constable of a county was generally a an upper class chap with some social cachet. He may even have had a brain!

If you need an education on accents listen to Rex Harrison as Professor Henry Higgins in "My Fair Lady" he sums it up perfectly.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back