News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

HELP I am google challenged
« on: November 20, 2005, 10:59:34 PM »
How does one focus in google earth when looking at golf course or anything else for that matter? When I get to certain elevations it become blurred.

Scott_Burroughs

Re:HELP I am google challenged
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 11:11:24 PM »
JB,

Not all areas of the U.S. have close-up coverage by Google.  Some (often rural, but not always) areas can only be seen clearly from higher up.  Try a different area (perhaps populated) and see if it's better.

Ryan Crago

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 01:37:28 AM »
the resolution of the satellite imagery varies depending on the area you're looking at... ie/ coastal oregon looks blurry, but is actually that the mapping unit is larger than say, downtown boston, where you can see shadows of people on the street.

the short: you can't focus.  

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 09:10:57 AM »
Thanks guys. I wondered about that for on Television, it looked like they had focus ability. I was disappointed in how TOC looked.

Ryan Crago

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 02:29:49 PM »
the google earth pro or whatever the PAY version is called has more capabilities, but i'm not sure if the data is any better.

could be worth looking into if you're that interested... its certainly a fun toy, and early returns say that its a great help to urban & land planners for visualization etc...

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 02:43:19 PM »
Google Earth is definitely one of the coolest internet toys out there.

I have it set to identify golf courses, airports, and most importantly...BBQ restuarants.  A good combination, eh?  8)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

JohnV

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 03:00:31 PM »
Ryan,

I don't believe the images are any better, they just add other features.

Tiger,
Here is a quote from their FAQ.  They are concentrating on cities at first.

4. Why do I see blurry pictures when I go to my house?

Google Earth combines data of different resolutions to offer a seamless viewing experience, so some locations look a bit blurry. We offer high resolution imagery (greater than 1-meter) for thousands of cities and more are on the way.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 03:30:40 PM »
John It would seem that smart guys like Google would know to put the home of golf in high resolution. I will enjoy what I can for now and wait for it to get better.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 03:37:28 PM »
John It would seem that smart guys like Google would know to put the home of golf in high resolution. I will enjoy what I can for now and wait for it to get better.

Don't count on them being THAT smart.  All the smart guys got hired by another local company.

;D ;D

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 03:40:14 PM »
It's a real shame they haven't got very much of Scotland in decent detail yet.

As part of my job, I get to tinker with our Corporate GIS System which contains a VERY high resolution aerial photo dataset, so I have had the pleasure of seeing TOC (and every other Fife Golf Course) in lovingly intimate detail.

If any of the bigwigs at Google would like to call me, I'd be happy to tell them where to get our data!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Joe Perches

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 03:40:22 PM »
All the smart guys got hired by another local company.

Perhaps you left off 3 letters in your post?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 03:45:30 PM »
Joe:  whoops.  That wasn't the best phrasing nor choice of words.

Oh well.  I just have fun with the whole google thing.  Google-earth is neat.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 04:04:26 PM »
lol tom I do not duobt the yahoo guys will not be far behind with their own great gifts to us.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 12:29:33 AM »
interesting.  I was on the amtrak going from LA to SD and a yahoo employee sat down next to me and frantically plugged his phone into the charger to get back to his conference call.  I remember him sounding a lot like google was working yahoo over.   ???

We are all a bunch of geeks for knowing what we know about the capabilites of google earth.  I too am bent you cannot see any of Bandon but most inner city courses come in well.  I scoured London see what is in depth, in focus.

Most of Australia stinks.  

Monterey is cool.  You can't see Crystal.  PV is neat.  Most of Myrtle is screwed

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back