News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Armchair architecture (perhaps OT?)
« on: November 21, 2005, 11:31:25 AM »
Do many of you guys design your own golf courses using games like Links 2003, etc...?  I've dabbled a little in armchair architecture--albeit on a very simple level--using a pretty old program called Jack Nicklaus 4.  I credit this in part for my love of architecture, because I really like getting to play my own creations, even if they're on a computer.

I've also had quite a bit of fun playing courses other people have designed (for Links 2001/2003) by downloading them from linkscountryclub.com (I've never figured out how to use the Arnold Palmer Course Designer).  Granted, the experience of playing a real golf course cannot be duplicated (nor can certain conditions), but it is quite fun when there's snow on the ground or when there isn't enough time to play the real thing.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Philippe Binette

Re:Armchair architecture (perhaps OT?)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 11:44:55 AM »
The Jack Nicklaus design program look to be more fun because it was closer to on-site design than the Palmer ones.

Nicklaus is about moving dirt..
Palmer is about moving lines and polylines and vertex than it will ressemble to a golf course after..

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 04:14:26 PM »
Sounds like the Nicklaus and Palmer programs each have their own substantial versimilitude.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 04:46:48 PM »
Tim,

I grew up with an even older version of Jack Nicklaus golf, and spent a lot of time designing courses. It was a lot of fun to play the course afterwards, and then tinker with it afterwards, striving to create a masterpiece  ;D. While the instant rendering (from any vantage point) allowing you to visualize the design taking shape was amazing, I was always frustrated that adjacent holes could not be seen. Further, the lack of measuring tools to determine fairway widths, green, tee and bunker areas made it difficult to create a sense of unison throughout the design. Perhaps these deficiencies have been rectified in more recent versions.

TK

Brian Noser

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 04:56:05 PM »
Someone make Rustic Canyon so I can play it all the time like I used to! ;D

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 05:11:54 PM »
Tim -

There has been a decent amount of discussion of the various programs in the past. I'd suggest doing a search. At one time, a nice gentleman named Lee Harris used to post on here and was quite involved with computer design of this nature. I haven't seen him post on him in a very long time, so he may no longer be active.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 08:10:04 PM »
When we were working on Black Forest, I put High Pointe on one of those early golf games where you could design your own course ... it was pretty close to the real thing.  But that's the computer someone stole out of the back of my car in a smash-and-grab, along with the first manuscript of The Anatomy of a Golf Course, and that was about the last time I played computer golf, too.

Keith Williams

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 09:20:10 PM »
Tom,

Well just call Tommy N. and tell him you want your computer and manuscript back!  ;)

Keith.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 09:47:38 PM »
Tim,

I was fond of the editor with Microsoft Links. I did some original hole designs on it, and the Bethpage Black version that was out there for MSLinks 2002 was excellent!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back