News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Heading to Bandon Trails tommorow, need strategic advice
« on: November 12, 2005, 06:43:31 PM »
Making a four day trip starting tomorrow, playing BT twice.

For those who have played it, can you please outline some do's and dont's for me?

For example, I think I already know the drive on #4 ought to be kept right, correct?  Obvioulsy you do not want to approach the 14th green from the right so stay left there.

What other nuggets of knowledge can you guys provide me with?

Thanks

(yes, sucks to be me.  BD, PD and BT twice.....I will have a hard time sleeping tonight!!!!!!!!) ;D
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Mike Nuzzo

Re:Heading to Bandon Trails tommorow, need strategic advice
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 07:13:00 PM »
BT advice...
Have fun.
Ask your caddies not to give you any advice the first time around.
Find the big S putts on the practice green.
Pray you get a pin on #5 in the valley, that is a hole in one pin if I ever saw one!
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 08:08:36 PM »
There's a LOT more room to the left on #14 than it would appear from the tee.

Have fun!

Tim Bert

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 08:20:27 PM »
Here's what I learned:

Hit the ball on #2 green.  For some reason everyone in our group had trouble doing that both times around.  Whatever you do, don't leave it in the soft fluffy dunes on the right side.

Hit your ball on the same tier of the green as the pin on #5

Don't duff your tee shot on #8 because it makes the hole much longer than it needs to play.

Hit it long on #11 to take advantage of the huge downhill slope in the fairway.  Don't get lulled to sleep by the enormous green.

Don't go in the bunker on the right side of #13 green.

Go for the green on #14 if the wind is neutral or with you.  I think chipping or pitching to that greeen is easier than trying to hit a full approach.

Score before the last 4 holes because they tend to steal a few shots back.

Most importantly, though this shouldn't be a problem.... have a blast!

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 12:57:41 AM »
Michael,

Trust that on #1, there's much more room than it appears from the tee.

Don't go as far right on #4 as it might appear.  Make sure your drive clears the 'spine', but as far right as you can.  If you stay right of the spine, you're left with a blind shot possibly obstructed by a couple of trees.

On #18, play further left off the tee than it appears.  

Enjoy yourself!

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 03:41:01 PM »
Play to left front corner on #2...there is room there, left and short, and the ball tends to kick back to the green.  DO NOT play the right side.

Left of the cyclops bunker off of #6 tee.

#12 tends to play short.

Left side from #15 tee.

Right side from #16 tee.

Have fun, and most especially enjoy the magnificant beauty of the earth on which the game is played.  BT is a work of art, IMO.

Tom
the pres

peter_p

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 05:19:45 PM »
I just got back from Bandon. Perfect weather ifd you like 60 degrees and no wind.
Do not, not, not miss two to the right. after three failed sand shots I putted to the green, then proceeded to four putt.

The is a lot of room to the left on 14. Yes, if you get a fortunate bounce of the trees. The left edge of the green is your target.

Tenth hole. Don't challenge a right pin. I did and the ball came off the false front into the bunker. Bladed out over the green, then putted back into the bunker.

I had one putt that broke at least a fathom and a half.

Jim Wiseman (BT pro) said Bill Coore was out last week with Mike Keiser and that very few change are thought of. Nothing more specific.

Personally, next time I play Trails it will be from the blacks, not the greens. I'll probably head there on short notice with a good forecast and play BT three days in a row.

Elsewhere BD #2 has some new tees which can stretch it to maybe 220. BD#13 has some gorse removal below the 15th tee. The mounding left of BD#18 is more playable. PD#3 green either had some disease problems or physical damage.
Sand and seed in 6-8 foot circles throughout. It didn't keep me from a birdie. PD#18 has a new green tee, to the right of the walking path. Maybe 20 yards shorter, but you miss the long hike up the hill.

Michael Hayes

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 05:27:48 PM »
 I think that the sand and seed you saw on PD#3 was in response to some pretty well established fairy ring that I remember seeing in Oct.  

Eric from bandon-- did you treat the fairy ring, or did you dig it out?

MH
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 05:28:49 PM »
Pack the sunscreen and lip balm...I just got back...The sun is shining and the wind is blowing...Stay away from all non-hazard sand areas, especially right on 2,8 and 11...there is quite a bit of room on left side of 11 to not even get within 25 yards of the crap on the right....Have a great time and make sure to have the meatloaf for dinner one night.

Big B

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 08:25:36 PM »
Tee off before 2pm on your second 18.

peter_p

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 10:56:35 PM »
Make that around 1pm. It gets dark at five. Our group of repeaters finished after dark.

Tim Bert

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 11:21:47 PM »
Here's what I learned:

Hit the ball on #2 green.  For some reason everyone in our group had trouble doing that both times around.  Whatever you do, don't leave it in the soft fluffy dunes on the right side.

Can't say I didn't warn you!

Eric Johnson

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 08:35:50 AM »
I just got back from Bandon. Perfect weather ifd you like 60 degrees and no wind.

Elsewhere BD #2 has some new tees which can stretch it to maybe 220. BD#13 has some gorse removal below the 15th tee. The mounding left of BD#18 is more playable. PD#3 green either had some disease problems or physical damage.
Sand and seed in 6-8 foot circles throughout. It didn't keep me from a birdie. PD#18 has a new green tee, to the right of the walking path. Maybe 20 yards shorter, but you miss the long hike up the hill.

Peter (and all),
The weather has been great, although a bit cold in the morning.

The "new" tees on 2 have been there from the beginning.  Though they were well hidden by gorse and never used to the best of my knowledge.  For those wondering, the two back-back tees are located south of the regular tees.

Gorse removal on the right side of 13 is a work in progress. We will be removing gorse and broom in other areas on the golf course through the winter months.  Another busy winter!

Cheers,
Eric  

JohnV

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 08:40:47 AM »
Eric,

I was going to say that I thought there were always a couple of back tees on #2 at BD.  I think the longest was almost 240 wasn't it?  Do you still maintain the tees up the hill from #1?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 08:41:31 AM by John Vander Borght »

Eric Johnson

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 04:09:01 PM »
Eric,

I was going to say that I thought there were always a couple of back tees on #2 at BD.  I think the longest was almost 240 wasn't it?  Do you still maintain the tees up the hill from #1?

John,
The back-back tee on #2 is 240 yds +/-.  We do still maintain the upper tees for #2.  The upper tees are rarely used, maybe one day annually.  

Eric
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 05:49:15 PM by Eric Johnson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back