News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

Re:Can Short Grass Be Overdone as a Hazard?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2005, 05:58:25 PM »
Joe,

How is short grass not a hazard when it affects the strategy in which you approach the hole?

I love Tom Paul's description of it as 'democratic' - because it does give everyone a chance to shine - but it can also lead the ball away into more cast iron hazards if you aren't careful.

Jim Kennedy also says watching a ball trundle away from you can be demoralising - to that, I would add infuriating.  It definitely affects your mind for the next few shots, unless you immediately assume the lotus position and close your eyes for several minutes before putting out.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2005, 06:47:32 PM »
Joe, You can put firmly in Dick Daley's camp of not be able to think of a situation where it is over-used. That's not to say long rough doesn't have it's place, but should be used sparingly. Similar to trees and water features.

If the ground is ever to shine again as an instrument of the creative, it needs to be shaved.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 06:48:45 PM by Adam Clayman »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2005, 07:44:45 PM »
Joe,

How is short grass not a hazard when it affects the strategy in which you approach the hole?

It's a conspiracy to confuse me, I tell ya... ;D

Therefore, Mark, because the fairway affects the strategy by which we play most holes, fairways are hazards. I think I'm starting to get it now.

Joe

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mark_F

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2005, 04:43:03 AM »
Joe,

I have news for you.

Fairways ARE hazards.

Especially when they steer your ball away from where you want it to be.  :)

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2005, 05:34:02 AM »
It is interesting that this thread came up.  I was alluding to this in the Pennard Pics or Perilous Pennard threads.  The fairway on Pennard's 12th hole has been radically altered.  It is a drivable par 4, but if the rightie comes off the drive in an attempt to reach the green, the new fairway will steer the ball
down the hill, over the tee (a bit dangerous I admit) and into the pill.  Most likely to be seen never again.  

Rough used to catch the ball and actually help the golfer.  He could bang away without fear of penalty.  I didn't understand the new fairway until my ball nearly went into the pill last week.  It really brought a smile to my face because I thought this was a great way to create a hazard (or should I say bring a hazard into play?) without using the usual bunkering method.  It is also much more in keeping with Pennard.  

Good thread, cheeers Mark.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark_F

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2005, 06:46:25 AM »
Cheers, Sean

Whereabouts is Pennard?

Sounds interesting with all the talk on here the past few months, but Wales is a bit of a toss up whether to include in a UK itinerary.  

I know you don't hold Porthcawl in that much regard, but I love it, but there's not a lot of other must sees, is there?

And driving on those mountainous, twisting, forever-being-worked-on Welsh roads adds another dimension to the journey.

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2005, 07:47:34 AM »
Mark

Pennard is in the Gower, just beyond Swansea.  It is about 45 minutes further west of Porthcawl.  The M4 is a good road.  

As far as I am  concerned, Pennard is the only must see in The Principality.  As for the others, it depends on what you are seeking.  Wales is low key and in my experience, the clubs are very open to visitors 7 days a week and usually at a very reasonable price.  

I understand the reasons why people don't get to Wales more often.  It lacks any top draw course.  Nevermind, I am quite happy to sample the delights of Wales in solitude.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

ForkaB

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2005, 09:08:41 AM »
"Full Brazilians" should be done only if the terrain allows it.  Try it on the 5th at Merion and virtually every approach shot winds up in the creek.  Much like Mardi Gras in Rio, now that I think about it.......

Doug Siebert

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2005, 06:54:18 PM »
If you looked out at a fairway that was say sloping or in some way complex topographically and you knew it was soft and wet where the ball would just stick where it landed would that make you think where your ball may end up more or less than if that fairway was firm and fast?

I think you'd have to think about both equally.  If its F&F out there, obviously the ball will bounce and roll a lot and you have to account for that or try to limit it in some way if you want to control where you play your next shot from.

If its soft and wet your main concern would be making sure your ball lands in a good place, because that's where you'll be playing it from, and you may end up with all sorts of crazy downhill or sidehill lies that you would be less likely to end up with if the ball is rolling around a lot and likely settling in a low spot.  If its wet and the fairway is flat for a while and then gets wiggy in driver range, that would greatly increase the chances of my playing a 1i off the tee because the risk of playing from a crazy lie isn't worth it for a somewhat shorter shot.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back