News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

good morning :)

in his Confidential Guide, I believe Tom D said Muirfield Village does NOT do this (DISCLAIMER:  I haven't played there)...

is St. Andrews the best at this?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

ForkaB

Re:which courses present a similar test from ALL of the tee boxes?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 11:34:13 AM »
Paul

I assume that you are excluding the ladies tees (whether played by ladies or men).

If you just mean the front and back men's tees, for men (and elite lady players), then it all comes down to:

1.  The green complexes
2.  The robustness of fairway hazards
3.  Ambient weather conditions

Not surprisingly, the best courses score the best, IMO.  Cypress, Pebble Beach, Shinnecock, Merion, Dornoch, Muirfield, etc.   TOC is a notch below these, because from the front tees it just plays a bit too short these days for its defenses to really come into play, for the better player, again IMO.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 11:49:28 AM »
Rich took many of my ideas..I was going to say Merion, Pine Valley, Cypress, San Fransisco golf....a trend here?
Those old guys really knew what they were doing.
As a general rule most links courses also fit this bill...unless they are on the open rotation and have been doctored for the event.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 12:03:50 PM »
Paul Thomas,

Because of the varying nature of each golfers game, I don't think it's possible to present a "congruent" interfacing.

However, certain golf courses seem to provide a variety of features that interface with the games of a variety of players from a variety of tees.

Some golfers are poor ball strikers but great around the greens, others just the opposite, although, their handicaps could be identical, hence, it's a difficult task.

Remember, that many years ago, all golfers had to tee up within one to two club lengths from the previous hole, and as such, based on their abilities, confronted different features on every hole, until they got to the green.

A golf course that can provide a tactical challenge to every level of golfer from every tee is special.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 01:05:42 PM »
I believe Kiawah's Ocean Course maintains a good bit of its challenge from various tees. I've played there from the set of tees that are around 6,000 yards total length then returned six months later and watched a tournament played from around 7,000 yards (which isn't the way-back tees but long enough given the wind and the hazards).

It was my impression that hole by hole the guys in that tournament were facing remarkably similar driving and approach challenges as I had faced being a short-hitting bogey golfer playing up tees. The course I've played which is most comparable to the Ocean Course is Spyglass Hill. Many holes at Spyglass seemed to play completely different for me as compared to Lou Duran playing from two sets of tee further back than mine although the Par 3's were less changed by tee box choice.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 02:26:00 PM »
Bethpage Black.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back