News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey_Walsh

Mike Benham

Re:Way Off Topic - Smoking Gun Article
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 03:36:13 PM »
Interesting.

It doesn't state if, as a caddie, was an employee of the club or an independent contractor, not that it would matter.

And, in this PC world we live in, particularily with the issues of separation of church and state, that the legal profession still uses "Prayer for relief" when there are synonyms available.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 04:01:39 PM »
GW,
Just goes to show you that there are incredibly stupid people everywhere, even at the nicest golf courses.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 04:02:44 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 04:03:21 PM »
1. I happen to be playing Tallgrass with Ed Getka tomorrow !
2. Unless they have forecaddies for outings, there are no caddies at Tallgrass.
3. There are too many lawyers in the USA.  ;)

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 04:05:44 PM »
Someday people are actually going to remember the whole "sticks and stones..." rhyme and a whole lot of lawyers are going to be out of work.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Benham

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 04:48:46 PM »
Someday people are actually going to remember the whole "sticks and stones..." rhyme and a whole lot of lawyers are going to be out of work.

A good old fashion fist fight might work too ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 07:20:45 PM »
This has to be a hoax.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 09:50:33 AM »
Pat,
Hoax or not, it also appears here:
http://www.courthousenews.com/

Other caddie lawsuits:
-A former caddie for LPGA player Jackie Gallagher-Smith is suing her, saying she seduced him to get pregnant.
-Michael Douglas is being sued for beaning his caddie in the groin.
-Another caddie is suing a player for beaning him off the head.

I'm taking a cart next time I play.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 10:14:23 AM »
Jim Kennedy,

If it is true, whoever writes and edits the club newsletter should be fired.

In addition, most clubs provide a method of oversight with respect to printed material that's diseminated to the membership.  Whoever had that responsibility should be fired or removed from office as well.

Why would you put trivial news like that, about a non-member, in a club newsletter, and, in those terms ?

Stupidity is one thing.

But, an EEOC challenge is excessive.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 01:24:38 PM »
This would be an interesting case to follow.  If the plaintiff is smart he would fess up to being gay and greatly enhance his chances by being in a protected class.  Better yet, he could confess to actually being without balls and be treated either as a woman or gay and disabled.

If the allegations are factual, the club does deserve to be punished.   No one should be treated that way.

On the other hand, this type of behavior (not the newsletter part which I find hard to believe, unless it is just an informal rag for the caddy shack) is not all that unusual in golf.  A friend of mine is a fairly prominent member of a well-known country club in the area.  He is part American Indian and gets savaged on a regular basis (like when we walked into the 19th hole and were greeted with a bunch of war calls).  Of course, he can dish it out as well which makes me wonder if the plaintiff in the case was not a prankster himself with thin skin.

BTW, what is the deal at many NY, NJ private clubs requiring caddies?  At $70 to $100 per bag carrying double, it is attracting an interesting, older mix of people.  Not only does this practice add more expense to an already expensive game, but it introduces new variables which could very easily result in more suits like this one.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 05:29:10 PM »
This would be an interesting case to follow.  If the plaintiff is smart he would fess up to being gay and greatly enhance his chances by being in a protected class.  Better yet, he could confess to actually being without balls and be treated either as a woman or gay and disabled.

If the allegations are factual, the club does deserve to be punished.   No one should be treated that way.

On the other hand, this type of behavior (not the newsletter part which I find hard to believe, unless it is just an informal rag for the caddy shack) is not all that unusual in golf.  A friend of mine is a fairly prominent member of a well-known country club in the area.  He is part American Indian and gets savaged on a regular basis (like when we walked into the 19th hole and were greeted with a bunch of war calls).  Of course, he can dish it out as well which makes me wonder if the plaintiff in the case was not a prankster himself with thin skin.

Lou, I've played with the same group of friends for close to 40 years.  It's a tough, tough group.   Only children and grandchildren are off limits.  Anything and everything else is fair game.  And believe me, it get's brutal.
[/color]

BTW, what is the deal at many NY, NJ private clubs requiring caddies?  At $70 to $100 per bag carrying double, it is attracting an interesting, older mix of people.  Not only does this practice add more expense to an already expensive game, but it introduces new variables which could very easily result in more suits like this one.

I disagree.

The only way you can establish a good caddie program is to mandate caddy use.  No caddy is going to sit in the yard all day based on the likelihood that they MAY or MAY NOT get a loop or two.   And, you certainly won't attract good caddies without a mandated caddy policy.

Between Memorial Day and Labor day we get a great number of high school and college kids who not only caddy and make a decent buck, but, they're introduced to golf and members who might provide them with employment opportunities, not to mention the caddy scholarships that many clubs and golf associations offer.

Clubs that mandate caddy useage usually have excellent caddy programs.
[/color]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back