News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

Augusta could be a leader....!
« on: September 18, 2005, 04:50:53 PM »
Maybe for the good of the sport and because of the courses that always seem to follow and emulate Augusta National's maintenance look and practices [pause]...and because soon they will not be able to lengthen much more [unless they buy ACC], or infill with trees, add rough etc.....they ought to turn the water OFF the fairways, barely keep the greens alive and boy what fun we would have with a fast and firm and brownish green playing field.

maybe if ANGC lead, others sure would follow....
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 06:15:04 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Wayne_Kozun

Re:Augusta could be a leader....!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 05:20:50 PM »
But we (by we I mean non-members of Augusta - but if there are any Augusta members reading please feel free to nominate me for membership so that I can remove myself from this group) only actually see Augusta in April so the course would be rather green even without irrigation at that time of year, would it not?  It could be playing fast and hard and brown in June, if it is still open in June, and who would know?

I guess if they really wanted the brown look they could install that funky drainage system in the fairways as well as the greens and suck all of the moisture out of the soil to give the fairways a brown look.  I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 05:27:17 PM by Wayne_Kozun »

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 10:47:12 PM »
Paul:

Haven't you noticed in the last few years that ANGC during the Masters (particularly the last two Sunday rounds) were just about IDEALLY firm and fast---both "through the green" and on the greens? Only difference is ANGC still looks too green (most clubs could too if they had ANGC's maintenance budget) that leads most who look at it on TV to think the green part is more important than what the idiots who are watching should clearly be able to see what's happening to the ball when it hits the ground down there (firm and fast).

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 11:17:33 PM »
Paul Cowley,

What you see for four (4) days on TV in April is not representative of the golf course from opening day in October to Mid-March, which is the great majority of the golfing season at ANGC.

paul cowley

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 06:44:47 AM »
Tom and Pat....the course really does seem to be playing more like I remember it playing in the 60's and 70's, when the green speeds at times seemed verging on excessive.
 Part of my post was more a reaction to the other Augusta thread and the perceived mentality of an ideal Augusta look....and the great expense it took to achieve it.
 It would be particularly ironic if ANGC was able to maintain things fast and firm while other courses that may look green and lush played more like soft and mush.

I find it interesting also that this 'we want it to look like augusta' mentality really only developed in my lifetime.
I have never traced when or by who's influence or guidance things evolved from the more golden age look the course had at its inception to the very manicured appearance it has now.
I'm sure that would be an interesting story.

....and this thread is not meant as a critisism of ANGC by any means, a course as unique as any of the best in the world....but more directed at the wannabes.
I do kind of miss the old no rough cut, but, unfortunately we are forced more and more to keep up with the Jones'... [or is it technology?].
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 08:06:47 AM by paul cowley »

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 08:21:28 AM »
Paul:

If I'm understanding you correctly there sure are a ton of ironies regarding ANGC and wannabies who try to copy it somehow.

In my opinion, those ironies are;

1. If in fact there is such a thing as the "Augusta Syndrome" (which I'm quite certain there was and is) meaning so many who've watched the Masters on TV for so many years tried to copy the immaculateness and greenness of the course they saw that one weekend by simply over-irrigating only in an effort to make their courses more green without understanding what that was doing to their playabilities (ground game option) of firm and fast. That America could've killed the ground game this way is practically beyond comprehension in retrospect.

2. That apparently no one thought much about what ANGC spent to do what they did which in this vein was to make their course green AND firm and fast at the same time. Apparently those watching and copying thought it must be so simle--eg just over irrigate. Nothing could be further from the truth and the facts.

3. Another irony is one might think at some point ANGC might've said publicly that other courses cannot achieve or do what they do without also spending the kind of money they have.

4. The last irony seems to be that so few actually noticed that even with that green and immaculateness that ANGC generally has during the Masters in most years when there was not excessive natural rainfall that course really did play firm and fast. The last few years, particularly the firmness of the greens with the speeds they run were just about ideal and the play of some of those pros showed what that means.

If there really is an "Augusta Syndrome" one would think one of these days ANGC would have the sort of general decency to golf and architecture to issue a public statement to those at other clubs watching the Masters that if they want to do what ANGC does during the Masters the first thing other clubs out there better do is quintuple their maintenance budget!  ;)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 05:21:04 PM »
Paul Cowley,

I think there's a wide gap between the reality and perception when it comes to ANGC.

The perception is a golf course that is lush, emerald green, and ladened with flowers, flowering shrubs and trees,
year round.

The reality is that the golf course isn't like that year round.
It's quite different, however it is groomed to peak for a week in April for the benefit of the camera.

The problem arises when clubs think that's how they should be prepared and presented to golfers for their entire golfing season.

If more was known about ANGC and its golfing season, I think a number of clubs wouldn't strive to present the "peak" for the entire season.

If those in charge, or with influence at their clubs saw ANGC on October 1st, January 1st, February 1st and June 1st, they just might change their mind with respect to how their course should play and/or be presented.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 05:21:23 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

paul cowley

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 08:30:48 PM »
Thanks Pat and you might want to add that the course is not played all year around, even though its in an climate where it could be.....unusual, maybe even singular, of all clubs in the south....I don't know of any others that practice a play season like ANGC, do you?

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 09:22:41 PM »
Thanks Pat and you might want to add that the course is not played all year around, even though its in an climate where it could be.....unusual, maybe even singular, of all clubs in the south....I don't know of any others that practice a play season like ANGC, do you?

Isnt Seminole's season pretty comperable to ANGC?
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 09:32:01 PM »
Turboe,

Yes, almost identical.

paul cowley

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 09:32:16 PM »
Turb 8)e...y :)...hell ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 09:33:09 PM by paul cowley »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 09:34:40 PM »
How are you doing Paul?  Been to the Patriot lately, how are things?

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

paul cowley

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 09:36:32 PM »
damn Pat ....thems two peas in one hell of a pod!....any step childs lurkin?....just curious.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 09:41:48 PM by paul cowley »

paul cowley

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 09:41:11 PM »
Turboe ...fine just fine...how be that youngin?

paul cowley

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 09:51:18 PM »
Turb...in case you haven't noticed, my total posts  are creeping up on yours .....God willing, I might just gain my omnipotent level before you ....wake up, smell the coffee  ;)

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 09:59:14 PM »
Turboe ...fine just fine...how be that youngin?

She is doing great.  Taking after her Daddy....

....At least her table manners.

Her favorite place to hide....

I cant believe I don't have any pictures of her in the back yard with her golf clubs.  I have some video but no still pictures.  I guess I know what I will have to do tomorrow.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 10:02:09 PM »
Turb...in case you haven't noticed, my total posts  are creeping up on yours .....God willing, I might just gain my omnipotent level before you ....wake up, smell the coffee  ;)

Yes I see that, I guess I will have to start spending more time in here again.  Which I should be able to do, because I have been splitting my internet time for the last 6 months between here and a couple of my favorite MN Vikings fan sites.  And after two weeks I am ready to give up on this season already so that would allow more time on here again.

Also if I can just keep posting multiple small posts like we have been on this thread I might be able to keep up.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 10:03:15 PM by Turboe »

paul cowley

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 10:16:32 PM »
obviously OT but.... Turb, you will lose multiple small topic posts in our race....you have much more baggage to say than I do!

love the photos.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 10:19:33 PM by paul cowley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back