News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

The White Course at Penn State by Kyle Harris...
« on: June 19, 2005, 08:45:14 AM »
...is now posted under My Home Course.

In it, Kyle Harris carefully tracks and credits what architects did what to today's White Course at Penn State University. A kaleidoscope of architects certainly have worked on it and to say that the Park holes like 6, 7, 13 and 14 are the best on the course isn't necessarily fair to the other architects as Park had the pick of the ground with which to work. However, the key is the course does enjoy such unique standout holes and I can only imagine they help make it a treat to play. Conversely, my alma mater course at UNC was totally redone in the past ten years and presents a more conventional test (save for the excellently wild 17th green) but I don't think it possesses anything you can't see elsewhere.

Anyway, congrats to Kyle for presenting in such a clear and concise fashion the evolution of the White Course at Penn State.

Cheers,

Doug Braunsdorf

Re:The White Course at Penn State by Kyle Harris...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 09:50:11 PM »
I had the opportunity to play the Penn State White Course this past weekend, as part of a fun weekend at Penn State.  

There is tremedous potential here for both renovation/restoration: restoration of the Park holes and strategies, and renovation of the more 'modern' holes to create a more seamless, varied challenge, and better test of golf while espousing good architectural principles.

There are some very good holes there, some great architecture, and with a little TLC, this would be a very, very good course.  

While my thoughts and ideas may not be congruent with the goals of the Penn State University athletic department, I thought this to be a fun exercise.  

The first two holes I will comment on are holes #16 and 17.  
According to Kyle, Hole #16 was designed by the Golf Team, in the mid-1990s.  Playing at about 203 yards, it serves as the longest par 3 on the course.  However, the current hole, in my mind, with its slightly pitched green, does not make best use of the right to left sloping terrain; the perfect setting for a Redan hole!

In fact, that was my first thought upon stepping to the tee box; (the match was in Kyle's pocket several holes back)  :-[
What a great natural site for a Redan!  In fact, a slightly longer Redan, perhaps approximately 215 yards from the tips, would be a perfect addition to the course-- for one, it is sandwiched by two shorter par fours; two, it comes late in the match or round, when the golfer should be plenty ready for the challenge; three, it provides 'balance' in par 3 holes; i.e. each of the par threes tests a different club or different shot.  In fact, while I like the 'template' par 3 concept, I feel with today's knowledge of architecture, we can go one better and use the theory behind the various par threes--to test a specific shot.  
To further this last point, consider the par threes here were played with the following clubs during my round: (5)- 8 iron;  (7)- 7 iron; (12)- 5 iron (uphill tee shot) (14)- 7 iron. (downhill tee shot). The card yardage for #5 is listed as 200 yds, the tees were up on our day, and I would recommend this green be redesigned with significant contour to test a precise short iron.  

I do not have any current pictures; perhaps Kyle could provide one, but as you hopefully will see, the terrain has so much more potential than for a flat par three hole, which is the current offering.  

The next hole, the 17th, is a short par 4 of about 330 yards, slightly uphill.  As the hole stands now, it is nothing outstanding, but nothing poor at the same time.  To make it more testing, I thought of the pedestrian-only road on the far side of the hole, running parallel with the green, and replacing the current green with one similar to the 10th at Merion.  
In its current form, I found the hole to be nothing more than "bang it out there, find the fairway, and have a wedge approach to a basically round green".  No real penalty applies, with the exception of the long-ball hitter who drives straight through the fairway.  

I thought of a long, narrow, and undulating green, well guarded by bunkers and chipping area.  The bunkers would need to be truly hazardous, thus befitting a short approach, and the chipping area would carry poorly hit approaches or overzealous drives over the green.  
Now, I am a fan of the chipping area in lieu of rough, to offer the golfer who may have driven just through the green a chance to putt or chip, rather than hack it out of four-inch rough, with luck as his only hope to get it close.  
The fairway, rather than in the existing "upside down, rounded L shape" could be cut as such that the golfer must make a forced carry of rough of about 150-200 yards to a fairway that is more long and narrow--but affords some degree of angle on the approach.  I would ideally reward the long hitter who can keep his drive under control and in the optimal position, looking straight up the green, with a flatter lie, similar to the 10th at Merion, whereas the golfer who may use a "chicken stick"  ;D may have to contend with the ball slightly above their feet, but provided ample room to bail out on the high side of the green, in the chipping area.  

At the present, I understand this may be confusing to read/envision, but I intend to make some rudimentary drawings and post them in the next several days.  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 09:40:53 PM by Douglas R. Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 09:59:12 PM »
Another observation I wanted to share with the GCA community and recommendation for action is for the course to be maintained slightly firmer and faster.  

The day we played there, the green s all played very wet.  For example, I hit a knockdown 9 iron into #6 from 100 yards.  Kyle wil vouch, it was well hit.  "Kyle, did you hear the ball sizzle?"  ;D The ball made a large dent in the green and pulled up a bunch of turf!  

The Park greens on this course have so many interesting swales, slopes, and things going on, it is a shame that the golfer doesn't encounter faster conditions.  #6,7,9,10,13 in particular have wonderful undulations to them and would be a joy to putt in drier and faster states.  

In his article "My Home Course" , he posts a picture of #7 green.  The picture does not do the false front justice.  Incidentally, the day we played, the hole was located on the front of the green, about 3 paces over the ridge.  
If you look in the picture, you will see a light post behind/left of the green.  My  ball was on the collar.  I putted off the green-and was happy to see the ball run (!) but slightly disappointed that it didn't travel farther down the hill.  

Why?  Because I shouldn't have been there in the first place!  If anything, this green needs to be extended in the front between 3-6 feet.  

Most all of the greens have shrunk back from their surrounds; there are many wonderful fall-offs and mounding around the greens and expanding the greens would make better use of these features, by providing for more hole locations in the flatter areas, as well as more challenging ones closer to the fall offs.  Specifically, #13 green has a fall-off that is currently maintained as rough--if it was maintained as fairway cut, a poorly struck approach could wind up 15 feet below the level of the green!  

While I may talk about making the course more challenging through developing the green complexes, and increasing the use of angles, I stress that they all do leave the golfer with a chance of recovery.  I'm not a big fan of "death" around greens (water features, etc).  I prefer the golfer have a chance at recovery from a poorly played approach shot.  Maybe a long shot at par, but certainly not an automatic double or triple.  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 10:29:41 AM »
Doug,

Good points about a bunch of things, but with a perfectly good abandoned road right behind the 17th green... it's hard for me not to think ROAD HOLE  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back