News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

T_MacWood

Re:D.C. Area
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2005, 12:08:57 PM »
I love Columbia, it was probably the course that was most instrumental in sparking my interest in golf architecture. I'm disapointed by what Ault had done to the bunkering (I believe it is Ault); it sounds they have hired someone who may reverse that damage. There are number of interesting features that could be restored...like the massive bunker complex on the 5th.

I believe the bones of the course is HH Barker; remodeled by his mentor Travis prior to the '21 US Open. Some very wild greens. Doak really missed the boat on this course in the Confidential Guide.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 12:09:32 PM by Tom MacWood »

Andy Hughes

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2005, 01:14:56 PM »
I love Columbia, it was probably the course that was most instrumental in sparking my interest in golf architecture. I'm disapointed by what Ault had done to the bunkering (I believe it is Ault); it sounds they have hired someone who may reverse that damage. There are number of interesting features that could be restored...like the massive bunker complex on the 5th.
Tom, could you elaborate at all on what was done to the bunkering, as well as any features that might, or you think should, be restored?
The bunker complex on 5--are you referring to the bunker that stretches across the fairway and forces a decision on the 2nd shot?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2005, 01:53:28 PM »
Wayne,
I'll call you later today.

Bill,
That's a good observation about the topography around DC. I have seen a lot of "renovation" plans for the older courses here and am pretty tired of seeing many architects suggest that the ridges should be shaved down to either make the "course more fair" or "create good sight lines."

I agree. Art Hills gets beat up on GCA for his renovations at Chevy Chase Club but he did change the blind shots. Chevy is full of them and I think it is a unique part of the course.

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2005, 01:54:55 PM »
 He did not change the blind shots.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back