News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Royal Mid-Surrey
« on: September 12, 2005, 02:37:32 PM »
It's several years since last I played here, and I'm member's a guest there next week.  Anyone know what its current state of health is, post clubhouse fire and nearly losing all their greens when the greenkeeper died - he was the only man who knew how to work the sprinkler system and his knowledge dies with him!

What does anyone think of the architecture?

TEPaul

Re:Royal Mid-Surrey
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 09:15:29 PM »
Mark:

Is that the golf course JH Taylor developed the architectural concept of "Mid-Surrey mounds" (Alpinization) on? And with the excellent original super Peter Less, to boot?

T_MacWood

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 11:18:53 PM »
I'm not certain of the current state but I know Russell Talley was advising the club not too long ago. When Alpinization fell out favor, Taylor & Hawtree remodeled its courses.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 06:34:10 AM by Tom MacWood »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 06:38:34 AM »
Yes, there are still some mounds - they look rather artificial even after a century's weathering.  But there are good earthworks and some good bunkering which serve to disguise the fact that the courses (there are two) are absolutely flat.  The Outer Course has a very good collection of longer par 4s.  Well, they're long to me (over 400 yards) but a drive and wedge to today's beefy hitters.

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 06:59:27 AM »
Mark

Tom is right.  Talk to RT if you want any detailed info about the course (and if he is not sworn to secrecy!).  Enjoy your day there as I know a large number of RM-S members, and there is not a bad one in the lot!

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back