News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Gracely

Merion Terminology Question
« on: August 26, 2005, 04:42:42 PM »
http://www.usamateur.org/news/baskets.html

If the stick doesn't have a flag attached, should it still be called a flagstick?  

noonan

Re:Merion Terminology Question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 05:15:24 PM »
Basket stick.

;D

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 06:19:58 PM »
According to the Merion history book by Tollhurst written in 1989 the idea for the wicker baskets at Merion came from Prestwick. There's a painting by Michael Brown of the first International Match between Scotland and England in 1903 with Harry Vardon in it. To the side of the green is a young caddie holding a flagstick with a wicker basket attached to it. So, I'm not sure why the writer of that hyperlinked article thinks the derivation or inspiration for the Merion wicker basket is such a mystery.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 06:22:26 PM by TEPaul »

ForkaB

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 06:26:06 PM »
Tom

That was a Chianiti flask with a long neck in the picture.  Vardon always laughed at the fact that the guys at Merion thought it was a flagstick. ;)

Will Hubbard

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 11:50:41 PM »
Hole Pole?

Gerry B

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 01:32:12 AM »
lunch holder - to keep the sheep away

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 03:07:15 AM »
Tom Paul,
This is what happens when the governing body decides to rely on less then reliable, well-researched historians to write historical articles.

I'm sure he had full access to the USGA library though. Just like Rand Jerris did for his book.

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 03:18:23 AM »
TommyN:

Or perhaps Alex Miceli should've just logged onto GOLFCLUBATLAS.com to do his research for an article on Merion East's basket flags. However, had he done so it may've been the last article he ever wrote for the USGA.  ;)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 09:59:05 AM »
If it ever got published at all......

That's quite a fraternity those fellows have over there in Far Hills!

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 05:51:32 PM »
On one of the sides of the Merion clubhouse (near the roofline) is a small window-like display that says:

M
  A + 1

Does anyone know what this means or stands for?  

wsmorrison

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 09:26:13 PM »
The keystone marker of the oldest portion of the farmhouse actually is:

M
A + I

This was probably showing that the owners of the farmhouse had a last name of M, the couple's first initials were A and I and the house was built in 1824.

Tom and I went to the Delaware County Historical Society and looked up some old township plats but we couldn't find anything to relate to the marker.

We did find out that Hugh Wilson lived in a house where Andover Road and Golf House Road meet; near the 15th green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back