News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Michael Whitaker

"Remodeling University"
« on: August 10, 2005, 09:28:32 PM »
The American Society of Golf Course Architects (ASGCA) and the Wisconsin State Golf Association (WSGA) will host “Remodeling University: A Short Course to a Better Course” – a day-long symposium designed to educate golf course decision-makers about the basics of golf course remodeling.  The first event will take place November 2, 2005, at the Country Club of North Carolina, in Pinehurst, N.C., while the second event will take place January 17, 2006, at Forest Lake Golf Club, in Columbia, S.C.

The events are supported by the Carolinas PGA, South Carolina Golf Association, Carolinas Club Managers Association, North Carolina Golf Course Owners Association and South Carolina Golf Course Owners Association. They will feature an impressive panel of speakers, including ASGCA member architects and CGA agronomist Dr. Leon Lucas. Each speaker will offer unique insights into the planning and implementation of golf course remodeling projects.

To read more about the Carolinas Remodeling University click here: http://www.remodelinguniversity.org/images/mediareleaseCGA.pdf

Other events are scheduled for Florida, Wisconsin, and California: http://www.remodelinguniversity.org/Page2.aspx

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tom_Doak

Re:"Remodeling University"
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 11:35:29 PM »
Or, you could just go out to Pasatiempo in September and go to Jim Urbina's graduate-level finishing school.   :)

Scott Witter

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 08:23:56 AM »
Touch'e Tom

Is Jim's class accredited?

paul cowley

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 09:20:19 AM »
 Come on Tom, let it out...let us know how you really feel  ;)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 10:11:17 AM »
I did not create this thread to be pimping the event... I was hoping to get some thoughts and comments on the concept and substance of the event. When I saw the press release some of my initial questions were:

1) Is it appropriate for a course renovation "seminar" to be promoted by state golf associations that are primarily in the business of issuing handicaps & producing a tournament schedule. This press release was sent to me by my state golf association. I don't get the connection.

2) I noticed that this "University" tour has taken place in years past. Has anyone here participated? What was your experience?

3) Is this just a glorified sales presentation or is it truly an "educational" symposium?

4) Why the Carolinas, Wisconsin, Florida, and California? Is it just related to quantity of potential remodeling jobs?

I'm thinking about attending the event in SC to see what it's all about and, hopefully, learn something.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

SL_Solow

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 10:18:38 AM »
I attended in Chicago a few years ago.  I suspect the value varies with the panelists.  Mine was essentially plain vanilla in discussing the process.  I really took away nothing new as it was pitched to those who were new to the process.  Tom Doak; I am likely to be a t Pasatiempo for a day in mid September.  Will Jim be on site?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 10:47:48 AM »
Michael,  I haven't been to this latest incarnation of the "remodelling simposia" but did attend the original seminars put on by Cornish and Graves through the GCSAA.  I believe that the ASGCA decided to make it a feature of their organization.

I don't know or understand your point about being appropriate for state golf associations to sponsor. Why wouldn't they encourage local club committee members to undertake seminars and studies of the "basics"?  Haven't we seen enough of committees going off half cocked without understanding "basics" which led to some poorly conceived work with lack of master planning, etc?  When it comes to a state association going in to re-rate and advise, wouldn't it be better to deal with people in the club that have a sound overall plan and know what they want to accomplish and how to stage their plan.

I believe it is a sincere effort to be an entry level educational experience, not a PR or sales thing.  it benefits the archies as a whole if they can impart some basic information as to process.  Even if some of the "Mavericks' in GCA-renovation have their own methods and approaches to the master planning, there still has to be local people on committees that get the concepts on a basic level.  So, why not have a travelling road show of information on the basics?  can't hurt...

I think the sites are probably associated with just finished or in-progress examples for the presenters to refer to.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 03:30:14 PM »
RJ - That makes sense. I was wondering what state associations have to do with course renovation or remodeling. In SC I'm not aware of our association normally being involved with this area of the business... or, promoting the need to do so. The GCSAA I can understand, even the local PGA section, but it seemed a bit odd and out of place to me for the handicap and tournament arm of amateur golf in SC to be sponsoring a course renovation symposium. I think I'm glad they are promoting this, but I'd like to know more about the subject matter. I think I've just decided... I'm going to the event in January!

Again, I'm just asking because I (obviously) have a lack of knowledge in this area: Is this is a common endeavor for state golf associations?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back