News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Lemmon

Southern Ireland Golf tips
« on: July 27, 2005, 10:46:52 AM »
I am visiting Ireland next week, on a golf trip with some guys.  It is organized by one of the tour groups, and we are booked for one round a day.  We are playing Killarney Mahoney's Point, Waterville, Dingle, Dooks, Tralee, Ballybunion Cashen, Galway, and Doonbeg.
I have never been there, and understand it is not as populated with courses as, say, Scotland.  I am thinking some days I might try to get in a second round.  Does anyone have any ideas about courses somewhat close to the ones I am playing where I might have a chance to book a round?  They don't have to be fancy, just interesting.  Thanks.  
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 10:47:47 AM by Steve_Lemmon »

mike_malone

Re:Southern Ireland Golf tips
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 10:54:42 AM »
 Castlegregory---on north side of Dingle Peninsula. It was nine holes when I was there. 18 was contemplated.

BTW Galway seems out of place for the trip--a long way to go for just one course.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 11:26:27 AM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 11:07:53 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion.  We are staying that night in Spanish Point.  At least I am not driving.  

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 11:23:30 AM »
 I believe Spanish Point is on the North side of the Shannon, near to Doonbeg. There is a course there(Spanish Point) that I wonder about. Kilkee also has one that I think has cliffs like those at Moher.

I would imagine you are staying in Killarney or Tralee for the part of your trip that includes Dooks, Waterville, Tralee,etc. That is when I would consider Castlegregory.
AKA Mayday

Bill Gayne

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 11:28:52 AM »
Spanish Point is half way between Doonbeg and Lahinch. I didn't see Lahinch on your schedule.

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 11:40:57 AM »
I was told that it is closed for some work or something like that...

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 11:40:58 AM »
  I assume they did not leave off Lahinch and Ballybunion Old on purpose  ;D
AKA Mayday

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 11:45:37 AM »
Not being the organizer, I am not quite sure.  I am inclined to try to get on Ballybunion Old (even if just to experience trying to hook it over the graveyard to the right of the first hole) on the afternoon of the day we play there.  

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 11:46:42 AM »
Steve -

If you are looking for a 2nd round, I would suggest simply playing the course you play in the morning again. I think your appreciation for and understanding of most of these courses will increase a good deal when you play them a 2nd time. So many of these courses have blind shots and humps & hollows you will not appreciate your first time around. Don't waste your time driving around trying to find another course, simply replay the one you just played!

Which course in Galway are you playing - Galway Golf Club or Galway Bay Golf & Country Club? The latter is a new course I have not played. The former is an old course that I have played and did not find especially enjoyable. It is certainly not worth the drive from the Ballybunion-Lahinch area.

DT  

mike_malone

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 11:53:45 AM »
 Steve,
    When you get there you will not be able to "hook" it over the graveyard. It is well to the right.  Or are you one of those "lefties"?
AKA Mayday

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 11:54:52 AM »
David:  thanks for the suggestion.  Our itinerary says Galway Bay Golf Resort designed by Christy O'Connor.  From the website, it looks newesh. http://www.galwaybaygolfresort.com/index.htm

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 11:56:25 AM »
Mr. Malone: better than slicing it into the graveyard...  Didn't Jack Nicklaus hit one ob there while winning one year?

Bill Gayne

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 12:14:22 PM »
Steve,

I would agree with David Tepper's comment about playing the same course a second time.

However if you really want something different besides the 9 hole course in Spanish Point, other courses in West Clare include Kilrush Golf Club and Kilkee Golf Club.

www.kilrushgolfclub.com

www.kilkeegolfclub.ie

I've never been to Kilrush but have heard positive comments. The course in Kilkee has great views of the sea and is partially pearched on huge cliffs. Kilkee is a nice holiday town.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 12:19:10 PM »
Galway Bay isn't great, in my opinion. I do think O'Connor's courses are very good in general, though.

You could play a links called Connemara Golf Club in Ballyconnely. There's at least one great nine there.

The South of Ireland amateur championship is on in Lahinch - that's why it's closed to greenfees.
John Marr(inan)

Sean Walsh

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 12:58:13 PM »
On my trip I stayed in Kilkee and was going to go and play the local course.  However a heavy night on the guiness at one of the lovely local pubs (Naughtons, heartily recommend the steak.) led to a hangover induced termination of those plans.  Evil Irish bar men  ;D

The course is located on the cliffs to the North of town.  I didn't see it but I'd be very suprised if the views aren't grand.  Worth a look if you're driving passed.  

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 01:24:45 PM »
Waterville is a long way from anything else, so that might be a place to play twice. I do endorse that idea of 2x at any site. Tralee definitely.

Also agree that doing anything possible to get on BB old is worth the effort, altho I am told the Cashen course is pretty physically demanding...

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 04:50:39 PM »
Thanks to all for the tips.  Especially Sean, whose bar and food suggestion really hit the mark!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back