News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Norbert P

Haggin Oaks - Alister Mackenzie
« on: June 08, 2005, 04:01:59 PM »
 Haggin Oaks is an old course in Sacramento designed by Mac that was refurbed a few years ago "with 10 new holes"
Has anybody played it that can give a Must play!/Stay away! comment?  Does the new stuff honor the auld venerable man's work or is it shite?

http://www.golfcalifornia.com/departments/coursereviews/alister-mackenzie.htm

Thank you kindly,  Slag

« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 04:19:41 PM by Norbert Painter »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mike_Cirba

Re:Haggen Oaks - Alister Mackenzie
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 04:10:32 PM »
I'm not particularly encouraged by the news that they planted over 30 new trees per hole.  I'm sure that's gone a long way to honor Mackenzie's penchant for creating options of play.   ::)

Alfie

Re:Haggin Oaks - Alister Mackenzie
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 04:33:42 PM »
Mr Painter said ;

"Has anybody played it that can give a Must play!/Stay away! comment?  Does the new stuff honor the auld venerable man's work or is it shite?"

Sorry I can't offer a professional (nor any ) opinion on the course. Just glad to see that you're alive and kicking mate !
I'd say it was probably shite - only because It's a good opportunity for me to use the shite word on here. :)

Alfie.

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 04:38:37 PM »
Greetings Alfie,
 Your turn to visit !  We'll go play (you as my honorable guest)at Royal Husum Hills National TPC.  You'll love it!

Slainte'
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 08:10:47 PM »
I am playing there Sunday, but I have no frame of reference of what the original resembled.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 11:05:06 PM »
I played there right after the opening. To call the golf course Mackenzie is somewhat dubious; a similar claim is made at Pittsburg Delta View Golf Course and Mackenzie never set foot on the property.
Haggin Oaks is actually pretty good. There are some nice wide corridors that challenge golfers to find the right angle and some green contours that are a lot of fun. The bunkering, however, will never be mistaken for Mackenzie and the routing is not true to the original. As a municipal golf course, however, the place is well above average and there are many other places that suffer in comparison.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 11:27:53 PM »
To add to Jeff's comments, the pro shop at Haggin is one of the best anywhere....bring your checkbook.  

Wish I had known you were going to be in the neighborhood, Lynn, would have enjoyed seeing your smooth lefty action.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 11:28:26 PM by Kevin_Reilly »
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 11:37:01 PM »
I would never had thought a guy from the Bay Area would risk melting in the Delta.  I don't consider that to be in the area, your traffic must not be like ours down here.
Besides Kevin you need to spend some time with the family because the Open is on next weekend.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 11:38:41 PM »
Hey Slag, it is good news on two counts.  You are alive and writin and you are alive and gawfin.  Have fun, be well...write when you can... ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 11:59:33 PM »
I would never had thought a guy from the Bay Area would risk melting in the Delta.  I don't consider that to be in the area, your traffic must not be like ours down here.
Besides Kevin you need to spend some time with the family because the Open is on next weekend.

My wife is from Woodland, so that is right in Sac's backyard.  Let me know the next time you will be in SF...I'd be able to cook up a good entree of golf for ya.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Stan Dodd

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 12:24:52 PM »
Slag,
Have plyaed Haggin Oaks 5 or 6 times in the last couple of years.  Though they advertise the Mackenzie connection there is not much left.  A couple of greens have the contour and the bunker placements of the Good Doctor the new holes are just new holes.
It is a decent course and worth a play if in the area but not one to go out of your way to see.
Are you going to be in the area?
Cheers
Stan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back