News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

THuckaby2

Re:Tobacco Road: As fun as it gets...
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005, 10:34:30 AM »
Great stuff, loved the descriptions, loved the pics, man I do want to play this course some day.  

But quick question:  I have this theory that guys from places like Michigan (and now I'll add the UK to this) will wear shorts any time it's over 40 degrees (and sometimes even at temps under that).  We see it all the time here in CA when we're wearing longjohns and jackets and snow beanies and a guy from a place like this comes out in shorts and shirt.

What was the temp for this round?

;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 10:35:21 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2005, 10:46:11 AM »
What was the temp for this round?

Mid-50s on the front-nine and mid-60s on the back-nine.  Forecast had been for up to 77*.  

You're right that Michigan folks will wear them at any chance (Sean is originally from MI), but this was essentially a weather-forecast malfunction.   ;)

And Huck - start saving up the Maritial Capital now for Dixie Cup II in the fall.  The courses might now live up to the rest of your summer agenda, but it should be alot of fun....which is the point of The DC.  
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 10:47:28 AM by Brian_Gracely »

George Pazin

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2005, 10:47:01 AM »
Thanks for the photos. I like the look of the maintenance - it's a little more unkempt then when I was there, which was admittedly right after it opened. It also looks like a few trees on #3 might have come down - or maybe they just weren't in bloom yet.

Sean makes a fine looking redneck. :) As always, not at all like I pictured in my head.

I'm a big fan of this course. The only thing I didn't love was how shallow a few of the greens are, though after reading Ran's profile, I can see how this adds to the strategy of the course. I was design impaired back when I played it in '99, so I didn't understand this feature.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

THuckaby2

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2005, 10:51:19 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Thanks, Brian.

I played Metropolitan Golf Links a month or so ago (course right near Oakland airport, Brent Hutto is playing it pre-TKPIV) and the forecast was for mid50s, with wind.  In reality it turned out to be overcast, high 40s, windy.  Wind-chill had to be in low 40s at best.  I was bundled up like you might to go skiiing in sub-zero weather.

I was paired with a guy who showed up in shorts and shirt... never came close to putting on a jacket, also never said a word about the weather and looked damn comfortable... Early on I asked him where he was from.

Ann Arbor, MI.  Michigan grad.

We never did discuss the weather.  It was all understood.

TH

ps - re DCII, oh man you know the WANT is there, as is the WILL... but I do have two trips in June that have me SO far into deficit marital capital that it will take months to dig out.  Thus the later you put it, the better.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 10:52:42 AM by Tom Huckaby »

THuckaby2

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2005, 01:49:52 PM »
Sean, if anything that makes my admiration of you only increase.

;D ;D

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2005, 02:26:32 PM »
TR would definitely be a fun course to play everyday!!!

JWK

Steve Lang

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2005, 04:58:20 PM »
 8)

The greens at TR aren't really that big.. plenty bigger down this way..

BTW, as an Ohio Yankee I would say that it ain't cold until there's snow on the ground.. so why not get a tan?  Also, them spartan and skunkbear michiganders know that its really only cold when the wind is off lake michigan or superior or huron and you're going snow blind.. or you're watching instead of playing hockey hockey hockey..

i find some japalenos on the sandwich at 9 can make keep things warm
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 04:59:36 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2005, 07:30:22 PM »
Sounds like a good pit stop on our road trip down from Philly for Tuesday & Wednesday at the Masters!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2005, 08:52:08 AM »
Well, I played TR, and I can see what you were talking about.  Some very fun holes and pretty neat architecture.

Unfortunately, the wind was blowing about 25 MPH, and some holes were almost unplayable.  I decided not to keep score, play from the up tees and just have fun, which I did.

It's a welcome change from the other Pinehurst-area courses, which seem pretty similar to each other.

Trivia - according to the starter, Mike Strantz, the architect, also designed the logo.  Since most golf course architects are probably very good artists, I think this would be a good idea for other courses too.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2005, 10:21:59 AM »
I'm sure glad I was out playing golf yesterday, the tone of
yesterday's threads was pretty bad.   :-[

Anywho, here are scans of Sean Arble's film shots of TR from
our get-together late March.  As you'll see, some are panorama shots.

#8 w/ me and Brian:

tee shot on #9:

approach on #9:

panoramas from here on out...

#14:

#15 green (see Remy on the far/wrong side?)

#15 green from the 16th tee (can barely make out stiff approach of guy from group behind us):

Brian's approach on #16 (and my first ever GCA ass pic  :P):

me leaving my birdie putt on the lip on #16:

Brian making a nice up-and-down for par to halve the hole and extend the match:

the tee shot on #18 (also the shot taken in the ass pic from page 1):

#18 approach from the ideal tee shot location (Sean's - most spots are blind otherwise):

Mike Benham

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2005, 12:00:24 PM »

Brian's approach on #16 (and my first ever GCA ass pic  :P):

Technically, I believe that is the rare "Double Ass and hairy leg Pic".  It's not very common in the upper-midwest
 or east coast during the fall and winter months and is more prevalent in the west and southeast.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 12:00:44 PM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2005, 12:09:27 PM »
Oh, come on, Mike!  Brian is at an angle and thus it's only a half-assed shot of him.    :)

PThomas

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2005, 01:29:53 PM »
GREAT photos Scott, thanks!!

I have to go down there in Sept for work; I can't wait!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back