News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Gene Greco

Re:Who or what do you have hanging on your wall?
« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2005, 09:57:31 PM »
WALL????!!!!!

I have an entire room in my house devoted to this God-forsaken game with more trinkets, books, clubs, photos, prints, toys, etc. which would make your head spin.

Bobby Jones hangs over the fireplace, same pic you see when the green jacket is placed on the Masters champ in the Butler Cabin.

Jim Kidd was over for dinner one night and he spent the evening in there while the rest of us ate.

Funny thing is I'm ready to quit the game and let my wife paint it fuscia!

God forsaken game.  

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

James Bennett

« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2005, 10:08:59 PM »
Gene

if you are serious, make sure any auction to dispose of your collection is well advertised.  It must be a great collection.  

I hope you are not serious.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Gene Greco

« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2005, 08:59:15 PM »
James:

As a member of The Golf Collector's Society for close to a decade and a half and a frequent visitor to many of the trade shows held, here in the northeast, at Golf House in Far Hills, I guess I would have to say I've accumulated my fair share of "neat stuff".

My son will be the fortunate recipient of the lot at some point in time. Hopefully, this will be later rather than sooner.

Unfortunately, for me, my game has fizzled ala Ian Baker Finch, not at that level, of course, and rather rapidly. A single digit for the better part of 30 years with a low of 2, I now hit it all over the place. Hitting three (or five) from the tee three or four times a round beats on ya and nines of 38 followed by a 55 on the back has become tiresome.

First tee negotiations are a thrill.

Drive for show and putt for dough - pure baloney.

I've had lessons with MacLean, Cook, Griffin, the late Paul Runyan, Mahoney, Hebron, etc.

My local pros always help but they can't be on the course with me. After leaving the range or the course with one of the above the only thing which seems to work is...

Beer.

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

James Bennett

« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2005, 09:05:42 PM »
Gene

38 then 55 is different.   ::) Enjoy the walk.

I have been interested in antiques generally (English and Australian) for many years, with a smattering of golf matters (nothing compared to your collection).  

For my birthday, my in-laws gave me a copy of the 1994 Miller's Golf Collectables - they picked it up in New Zealand.  Saw some wonderful things in there, including 'The Wanamoiset Waltz', a piece of music for the Golf Club (sorry if I spelt it wrong).  The prices looked reasonable, but alas it is 11 years ago.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2005, 10:18:39 PM »
A full size routing plan circa 1915 by Donald Ross for the Ponce de Leon Golf Course, St. Augustine...  (much discussed on here and NLE since '03).  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back