News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan McCord

Mock Turtlenecks
« on: April 18, 2005, 11:32:31 AM »
   "Mocks" seem to be selling like hotcakes in pro shops this year.  I was thinking about this, while reading the purist thread, and was just wondering what you gentlemen thought about the mock turtlenecks Wood's has popularized.

I find they look quite sharp, but without a collar and such, they can hardly be classified as purist and could also be classified as a t-shirt by many.  Just curious to what the GCA Bored, I mean Board, has to say about the MOCKS. ;)
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

THuckaby2

Re:Mock Turtlenecks
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 11:35:16 AM »
Jonathan:

We had a heated debate on these in here about a year ago.  It really was split:  one faction thought they were fine, and in fact even looked really sharp (I fall in here); the other said sans-collars they were inappropriate.  There wasn't much middle ground.

One thing I think we all agreed on was that one ought to follow the posted rules at any course; that is, if it says collars mandatory, one doesn't wear one of these.

TH

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 11:37:48 AM »
and a reminder to the young folk that Jack wore them back in the 60s
198 played, only 2 to go!!

THuckaby2

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 11:43:08 AM »
Whew.
Just tried that and thankfully the ball didn't stick.
Thus I guess I need not be shot.

;D

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 11:48:18 AM »
I hope you had you door closed at Clorox when you tried that Huck ;)...

THuckaby2

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 11:49:37 AM »
Paul, thankfully I do have an office with a door that closes.  But very good call.

;D

Lou_Duran

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 11:57:42 AM »
Open collar is much superior for us fat guys who have trouble with sweating around the neck.  I also have over 100 collared shirts, a number with logos of courses I haven't played.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 12:20:15 PM »
A free access board for the discussion of golf course architecture related matters. (note: non-architecture threads/posts are deleted).

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 01:20:32 PM »
I don't mind long sleeve mocks, but I'm not a big fan of the short sleeve ones. To me, they look too much like T-shirts, especially when worn untucked and with shorts.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 01:21:44 PM »
Nuzzo,

Quit playing hall monitor and start posting about your gca experiences.  There is much to gleen from these threads about preferences, some which may help to explain why people have strong likes and dislikes about golf courses.

For example, those who fasten the top botton on their collar might be a bit uptight and prefer wider bearths in their fairways and more traditional courses.  Those who wear mock turtles may be more receptive to Fazio, Nicklaus, and Ress Jones.  The folks who insist on wearing tank tops don't much care about intricate design features as long as they get to bring their beer coolers in their riding carts.  And, finally, the guy who practices putting in his underwear or plays the backside naked most likely belongs to a men-only club like Preston Trail and does so simply because he can.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 01:22:06 PM by Lou_Duran »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 01:56:48 PM »
I'm thinking about going 100% mock just because I can't keep good golf shirts from going to hell. Anyone have any tips? I'm sick of paying more money for a golf shirt than a good oxford and then having it unwearable after wearing it 5-10 times. Do you have them laundered, dry-cleaned, what's the secret. I'm not as obese as John but I still always look like a slob. Hurry and answer before this post is deleted!
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

PThomas

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 01:58:53 PM »
Buck:  "Mr. Style in GD said wash them inside out, turn the collars up and button all the buttons, and then hang dry them

JohnV

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 02:01:22 PM »
Buck:  "Mr. Style in GD said wash them inside out, turn the collars up and button all the buttons, and then hang dry them

I washed one like that one time.  Got up one morning, put it on, played 18 holes with some guys at my club.  As I was finishing up on #18, another member came up and asked me if I had lost some kind of bet.  I didn't understand until he pointed out that my shirt was inside out.  The other three guys hadn't said anything because they didn't want to embarass me or thought I must have some reason for it.  One of my most embarassing moments on a golf course that didn't involve a specific shot.

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 02:12:17 PM »
 a great story John....although now I'm just waiting for it to happen to me!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 02:47:14 PM »
Nuzzo,
Quit playing hall monitor and start posting about your gca experiences.  There is much to gleen from these threads about preferences, some which may help to explain why people have strong likes and dislikes about golf courses.

I have enjoyed every round and beer we've had together, there have been quite a few.
I don't think hall monitor fairly captures me expressing my preferences.  
Me expressing the owner of this websites preferences might be though.
I did both.  
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 02:59:27 PM »
Nuzzo,

Certainly you know that I am playing with you, don't you?

As a practioner and an articulate young man, you should post more on what you're doing and seeing.  Who cares if some of the posts are outside our own interests or beyond the intent of the Great One (who seldom posts anymore and doesn't return messages as he used to)?

BTW, I did play Timmaron (sp) about a month ago and the course has come a long ways.  Played poorly, but what's new, though I really liked what I saw (Club Corp appears to be doing a good job).  Next time you and Baxter are up here, be sure to let me know.  Are you guys working on Las Colinas CC?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back