News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

If the Links Trust allowed carts on TOC…….
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:49:11 AM »

What do the guys involved with the industry think would be the consequences to the course, noting the high numbers currently going through on a daily basis?

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

Re: If the Links Trust allowed carts on TOC…….
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:54:58 AM »
Not involved with the industry, but even a doofus like me knows there would be cart paths. 
With that volume of traffic there would have to be.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 10:55:05 AM »
I don't think the fescue turf could take an American style onslaught of motorized buggies.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

JMEvensky

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »
Also not in the industry,but wouldn't the "high numbers going through on a daily basis" guarantee that TOC remain walking only?As long as the tee sheet remains full,there shouldn't be any reason to change what obviously isn't broken.

Are allowances ever made for motorized carts--maybe for medical reasons?

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »

What do the guys involved with the industry think would be the consequences to the course, noting the high numbers currently going through on a daily basis?

Melvyn

I think the course would be swallowed into the sea due to the wrath of God (or MHM, if he got there first).  The wrath will be for the carts, but also for the inevitable fornication and spitting that will occur on the course if that bridge to moral decay is ever crossed.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 11:38:41 AM »
1) Fescue and heavy cart traffic aren't friends
2) Where would you drive and park them between tee and greens ?
3) It would create some safety issues in the loop because of the crossing holes.

Simply said: it's not a good idea

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 11:59:32 AM »

This is a serious question, asking those who make a living out of GCA for their opinions and reasons.  AS for carts, I was under the impression that some on here believed using carts to be quicker, apparently not - interesting comment.

I hope the Designers, Architects and Green Keepers add their opinion.

Melvyn

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 12:30:57 PM »
As for the Links Trust, all I expect of them is to let me play the New Course when I show up with three+ hours of daylight left only to be told that I can't play an empty course because the starter went home.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 12:36:55 PM »
Brian, I regret not doing so but was raised to have respect for other people's property.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 12:51:53 PM »

Melvyn

I think the course would be swallowed into the sea due to the wrath of God (or MHM, if he got there first).  The wrath will be for the carts, but also for the inevitable fornication and spitting that will occur on the course if that bridge to moral decay is ever crossed.
So here's a genuinely interesting, GCA relevant question and some hilarious wit finds it necessary to post this, frankly pathetic response.  Not relevant and not witty.  Why did you bother?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »
There is pretty much a path all around the perimter anyway. If carts stayed to the path, you could make a case that there would be less caddie traffic and foot traffic does much damage. That aside, I think TOC would be a course you would want to walk if you could. I assume they have buggies for those that cant walk anyway.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 01:31:14 PM »
Mark
Have you been reading Melvyn's posts since he joined?
Kevin's post put a laugh in my belly.
I'm glad he posted it - he even tied it to current events...

The image that I first thought of was that Melvyn would find a spot on top of the Old Course hotel and shoot every cart that drove by.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 01:32:36 PM »
TOC has been played from horseback. I wonder what the Town Fathers thought of that?

Bob

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »
TOC has been played from horseback. I wonder what the Town Fathers thought of that?

Bob

Bob

If I recall my history I believe it was one of the Town Fathers sat on top of the horse.

Niall

Alex Miller

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 02:50:09 PM »
I think this thread is to determine who Melvyn's friends are because I can't fathom why he'd even consider carts on TOC, let alone ask a serious question about it. Anyway, I really hope this doesn't ever happen and I don't think it will.

Does the R&A use any carts on the course during The Open? Obviously there's not the same amount of traffic on the course then, but it would still be a weird sight if they did.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »

Cart on TOC, no I do not see it, but I was trying to see if any serious debate could be or would be started on a site that sells itself as keen on GCA. 

This could be a very interesting subject encompassing all modern design and construction methods noting the close proximity of the other courses.

However, what has materialised is what I have come to expect, the preference for ratings  and template holes instead of serious GCA. 

Anyway, thanks to the players for not disappointing me and a much bigger thank you to all those who like me care about the game and have tried in their own way to get other debates started, but do not forget the humour too.

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 05:51:30 PM »
I think this thread is to determine who Melvyn's friends are because I can't fathom why he'd even consider carts on TOC, let alone ask a serious question about it. Anyway, I really hope this doesn't ever happen and I don't think it will.

Does the R&A use any carts on the course during The Open? Obviously there's not the same amount of traffic on the course then, but it would still be a weird sight if they did.

Alex, when I was at the 2005 Open, there were a few driven by tournament staff but not many.

DJM

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 06:20:18 PM »
I've driven many a buggy round TOC during tournament featuring TV, which was necessary but felt like sacrilege(!)

If you can't carry, or if you want to shave 5 shots off your round, there are the caddies. Buggies are allowed if you are registered disabled but you still pay a caddy for his driving and general services.

From a practical point of view - the paths surrounding all of the courses were designed to make the property easier to navigate (particularly for tournaments and moving crowds) so would help reduce the impact on turf. Very easy for an out and bank chain link routing. However, for general play,the consequences for the course are largely irrelevant as the carrying of ones clubs, or having a caddy to do so, is a tradition I cannot imagine will ever be compromised.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:28:56 PM by DJM »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »
I cannot imagine The Old Course allowing buggies. 

If they were allowed on the turf in numbers there would be great damage from wear and tear on the fescue ... although if it was less than 10 carts a day it wouldn't make much difference. 

As Adrian says, if the carts were kept on the maintenance roads, that would work also.  Plus, it would make it much easier for Melvyn just to plant mines in a couple of spots along the path, and he could indirectly add a couple of bunkers to the layout at the same time he takes care of the cart-riders.  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back