News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

Re:GolfClubAtlas gathering at Casa de Campo is set
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2005, 06:50:32 PM »
HOLD THE PRESSES
There is the option of flying to Santo Domingo, which is 75 minutes from the resort. Fares are typically cheaper and you will pay more for shuttle than from La Romana (as long as there are 2 or more, from Santo to Casa is 38 each way vs. 15 from La Romana). John, to your question from New Orleans, I am showing a flight through Miami for $500 US (364 for a more circuitous route).

I would suggest that people flying to Santo Domingo (SDQ) at least coordinate with one other as the shuttle prices are as follows:
1 - $70
2-4 - $38
5-10 - $32 each way.

I remind you that relative to regular destinations, you will be saving the cost of the rental, for what that is worth.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 06:52:13 PM by Ben_Dewar »

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2005, 08:01:18 PM »
Ok. Those who are interested in sharing the shuttle, speak up?

I have found the flights that look best. Arriving Saturday at 1;45 pm, leaving Wednesday at 5;05 p.m, in and out of MIA for $337.

We need to know the shuttle schedule. Assming it's really third world, do they have such a thing? or is it more like taxi cabs? Anyone?

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2005, 08:35:13 PM »
Adam,
Are you talking about at La Romana or Santo Domingo?

Also, the dates begin Sunday, unless you are looking at extra days.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2005, 08:44:06 PM »
Adam - Are you talking about flights into Santo Domingo for that price? I'm on the edge of making the plunge if I can find airfare at a reasonable price. The best I can find to La Romana out of Charlotte or Atlanta is around $800. Santo Domingo seems to be about 1/2 as much.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 08:44:31 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

mike_beene

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2005, 09:49:11 PM »
Sounds like I was not the only one.Do not drink the water.The purified water in the jugs on the tees,dont drink it.Also if you like power bars etc,take them with you.Keep some cash for your exit fee.I had a little trouble getting in because my US passport shows German birthplace.The nice stranger who argued with the customs agent that my wife and I were with him turned out to be Phil Fulmer,the Tennessee coach.Also,used to be you landed in your AA jet right in the middle of Teeth of the Dog,with several holes crossing the runway.Pete Dye was there which he often is.The locals seem to love him and,Suv and jet and all he fits in.Saw him at dinner several times.Hope you guys go easy on him.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2005, 10:01:20 PM »
Ben, This is a hard one for me for two reasons. One it is the beginning edge of being strong enough to play and enjoy it and second trying to do a Phoenix/KPIV/Pebble/Cypress MPCC.Olympic trip in the middle of April and Ryder UK in May. On the other hand, the wife of one of my golf buddies who goes there 4 or 5 times a year swears it is heaven on earth. I am going to call her in the morning for travel ideas. I think she goes private jet style though and is likely to be somewhat useless on questions dealing with reality and money.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2005, 10:10:38 PM »
Ben If one travels alone from Santa Domingo, is there any danger or travel risk to worry about?

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2005, 07:44:13 AM »
Ben, My question was about logistics in and out of Santo Domingo.

How hard would it be to get a room a night early?

thanx
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 07:45:28 AM by Adam Clayman »

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2005, 01:04:18 PM »
Ben and clan - I just read in the Washington Post that US AIRWAYS has got a megasale going on.  From Reagan Airport to Santo Domingo, the rountrip fare is $180.  This fare is good through late April.  Must be purchased (non-refunable) by Feb 7.

Adam - I'll bet you can get to/fro the Dominican for a whole lot less than $500.

JC

Jason Mandel

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2005, 01:30:28 PM »
jonathan,

that deal sounds good, only problem is your taking a big gamble assuming US Airways will still be around by the time of this trip ;)

jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2005, 01:36:50 PM »
Jason - I promise you that even if they go under, other airlines will rush to honor their tickets - it's money in the bank to them and happens every time.  You are unlikely to get the same arr/deps but what the hell.  I laugh at people who worry about losing their USAir frequent Flyer miles - it will never happen, regardless of the demise of the USAir Corp.

Even in a worst case scenario if you lose $180, that's about about half a greens fee at some famous resorts  ;)

JC

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2005, 07:01:30 PM »
I personally would not be worried at all about the transfer from Santo Domingo and the resort has a good company they use for the transfers. I have received a few emails from people asking about coordination of transfers and what might be easiest is if people who are flying into Santo Domingo make it known here what days they are thinking of.

The group is coming together and we have room for a few more people.

Hopefully with the US Air flights, it becomes more reasonable and thus more likely folks will join us.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2005, 09:05:23 AM »
Last chance...

American's rates from Miami have seemingly gone down, $357 from Miami for our dates.

Please let me know asap.

GeoffreyC

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2005, 09:38:20 AM »
I brought this up to the top page for JakaBS

Barney I think you simply MUST go on this trip even if all your friends have to chip in to send you.

I think you and Ran really need to spend some time together playing golf and discussing architecture and the future good fortunes of GCA.com.

Early merry Christmas Ran  ;D

JakaB

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2005, 09:45:26 AM »
Geoff,

I would love to go but I am currently booked to go to the Seth Raynor Society Meeting this May or so.....and I am sure you are aware of my upcoming appearence at the Super Meeting in Orlando.   Sometimes you just gotta go for the learn and not the burn...The golf on Ran's outing clearly looks top notch but I just feel I can expand my architectural horizons further at these other more acedemic get togethers..

GeoffreyC

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2005, 09:59:54 AM »
JakaBS

I think George Bahto would be surprised to learn that the great Victoria National is a Seth Raynor design.

I seriously doubt such an esteemed organization would allow you membership so I doubt I will be seeing you there.

I'd go for Casa de Campo instead.  Its not everday golf's most beloved clown gets to spend lots of time with golf's most beloved figure.  ;D

JakaB

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2005, 10:03:40 AM »
Geoff,

VN is not the only course I am a member of....I am in the SRS my friend...proudly so..The check has been cashed, the dye has been struck, I'm an intellectual, yuckity, yuck, yuck..

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2005, 10:13:48 AM »
JK,

Is the BBGE planning to hold itself up as an intellectual or esteemed organization?  I'm concerned about it's ability to uphold those goals and actually provide betterment for the game of golf through means that "everyman" golfer could appreciate.  

How do you find the balance?

GeoffreyC

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2005, 10:19:30 AM »
Well

You will probably be happy to know that I will no longer be going to the Seth Raynor Society meetings (providing Tony Pioppi confirms your attendance). Will you be playing in your clown suit and making a mockery of the Societies interest in preserving the works of Raynor, MacDonald and Banks?  ::)

JakaB

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2005, 11:05:25 AM »
Well

You will probably be happy to know that I will no longer be going to the Seth Raynor Society meetings (providing Tony Pioppi confirms your attendance). Will you be playing in your clown suit and making a mockery of the Societies interest in preserving the works of Raynor, MacDonald and Banks?  ::)

That is a sad commentary...I am and have always been a staunch supporter of the works of RMB...you will be missed.   I am short on time as I am off to host a rater and work on this weeks Blog Shot of the Week...keep up the good work.  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 11:07:10 AM by John B. Kavanaugh »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back