News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Limestone Springs?
« on: January 14, 2005, 09:53:12 AM »
Any opinions on this Jerry Pate design northeast of Birmingham?  Working on logistics for the 7th annual Other  Senior Tour.  Thanks.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

Re:Limestone Springs?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 10:20:21 AM »
Mike,

I rode around it in a cart, but didnt have time to play not too long after it opened.  It is a beautiful setting, I cant remember a lot of specifics about it, but I remember that I wanted to get back to play it, but have not.  The customer I had out that direction has gone away, but I think about it every time I am in Birmingham.  When are you planning on being down there.

I hope to get out there once things green back up around here this spring/summer.

Earlier this week, I did get back out to play another fine course in AL which I only got to ride around last year and taken some pictures of.  The Ledges in Huntsville, it is spectacular up there.  Has anyone else played it?  Maybe if I get some time this weekend I will post some pictures from last falls ride around session (although things were already starting to go dormant then).

All this nice weather has been great, but the courses still arent much to look at or very photogenic this time of year.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 11:37:36 AM »
Blue Guy,

The times they are a-changing.  A steel salesman needing an excuse to go to Birmingham?

Re The Ledges:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=13696;start=msg233456#msg233456

Mike
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 11:57:27 AM by Mike_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 12:46:52 PM »
Mike -

I played Limestone Springs in April 04 and thought it was excellent.  The property is varied and beautiful, with natural streams, hardwoods and some dramatic elevation changes.  The routing takes great advantage of the site.  Lots of options off the tee, and the green complexes are very good, with shoulders running to chipping areas and bunkering that is appropriate to the shot being played.

I've got some photos and a scorecard I'll try to dig up.  I will say that I found it superior to either of the RTJ Trail courses in Birmingham.  The foothill setting alone makes it worth the trip.

TOM

Sam Sikes

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 02:05:09 PM »
Mike,

I have played Limestone several times, and it is generally a delight to play.  It is usually in good shape, firm and fast, both summer and winter, depending on recent weather of course.  I agree with Tom that it is certainly better than any of the RTJ courses in Birmingham, and probably better than any in the state, with the exception of maybe Grand National if you happen to catch that on on a good day.  I am not sure if they have made the transition yet, but I know the club was planning to go private when the cash flow made sense.  Nevertheless, it is regarded as of the best courses in the state by many publications, sadly enough.  Though it is very walkable, the standard op is carts.  I think Jerry Pate has done some pretty solid work in Alabama, insofar as I much prefer his style to that of fazio, rees, arthur hills, etc.  Limestone is by no means an unbelievable experience, but as far as public golf is concerned, it is really good.  There are some neat short holes that tempt the ego as well as some scary ball busters, and all around fun holes.  All in all, I recommend you play it if you are going to be in the area.

sam

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back