News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Adam_F_Collins

What Were the First Courses In...
« on: December 20, 2004, 06:15:40 PM »
What was the first golf course built in the U.S.?
What year did it open?
Who designed it?
Who owned it?

What was the first inland course in Scotland?
What year did it open?
Who designed it?
Who owned it?

What was the first course in England?
What year did it open?
Who designed it?
Who owned it?

What was the first course in Ireland?
What year did it open?
Who designed it?
Who owned it?

What was the first course in Wales?
What year did it open?
Who designed it?
Who owned it?

What was the first course in Canada?
What year did it open?
Who designed it?
Who owned it?

How many do you know?

ian

Re:What Were the First Courses In...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 07:09:49 PM »
Canadian
What was the first course in Canada?
1825 on Priests' Farm
(present day Sherbroke West)
This is known due to an actual newspaper advertisement calling for Scotsmen "to perpetuate the rememberance of her customs" at Priest's Farm

What year did it open?
Who designed it?
I would bet it was the owner of D. McArthur's Inn, since he organized the event
Who owned it?
the farmer owned the land, so it would be his, right...

The common thought is usually thought to be Fletcher's Field on Mount Royal Park, but this was actually the first "organized club" as opposed to the first course.

Ian

p.s. I'm not looking up the other ones........that would be much harder

How many do you know?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 07:12:26 PM by Ian Andrew »

Robert_Ball

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 07:31:11 PM »
I believe the course at Blackheath Common outside London was the only course in England for several decades between 1750 and 1810.  I imagine it just 'evolved' during this time.  Designer and owner were probably early members.

Robert

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 11:48:33 PM »
Ian,

Do you know where I can find out more about that 1825 course? Most sources just refer to the Royal Montreal Club in 1873.

For the U.S., I have St. Andrews at Yonkers in 1888 (3 holes) and the first 18 hole layout being The Chicago Golf Club in 1893.

As Robert mentioned, Blackheath was the only course in England for a long time, although I have it as being established by the court of King James I in 1608.

Wales seems a bit at odds with Royal St. David's -opening in 1894 - designed by William Henry Moore and Harold Finch-Hatton. Also Tenby claimes to be the oldest club in Wales

The Curragh Golf Club claims to be the oldest in Ireland - having begun somewhere around 1852 on twelve holes and having 18 holes by 1889. I have no idea who designed it.

These claims can be difficult to support, so there is room for discussion (which is why I posed the question).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 11:49:36 PM by Adam_F_Collins »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 08:36:39 AM »
This list was compiled by:

Bobby Burnett, Golf Historian, St. Andrews, 1995

1744   Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers…Edinburgh
1754   Royal and Ancient Golf Club… St. Andrews        
1766   Royal Blackheath Golf Club… London
1770   Royal Burgess Golfing Society… Edinburgh
1780   Royal Aberdeen Golf Club… Aberdeen
1784   Royal Musselburgh Golf Club… Musselburgh
1786   Crail Golfing Society… Crail
1787   Brontsfield Golfing Society… Edinburgh
1787   Glasgow Golf Club… Glasgow            
1797   Burnwisland Golf Club…
1810   Royal Albert (Montrose) Golf Club… Montrose  
1815   Kingsbarns Golf Club… Kingsbarns

ONe mistake that I am aware of is the date listed for Kingsbarns. As a golfing society they were established in 1793. It wasn't until 1815 that the original nine-hole course was built on the Cambo Estate.

In America, golf was introduced by the Duke of York in 1688. He showed Thomas Powell and Thomas Dongan (then Colonial Governor) how the game was played in the fields on a place called "Rim of the Woods." Almost 250 years later it would serve as the site of the 13th hole on the Black course at Bethpage State Park.

Tha man definitely had a good eye!   ;D

T_MacWood

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 08:44:09 AM »
Phil
Is Burnett's list the oldest golf clubs or the oldest golf courses...I wouldn't have thought they were playing golf at Bethpage prior to the first golf course in Scotland.

I wasn't aware the Duke of York ever traveled to N.America...in fact, if I'm not mistaken, he was King James II of England in 1688.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 09:43:32 AM by Tom MacWood »

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 09:22:54 AM »
I think Dorset Field Club in Vermont claims to have the oldest course in America (opened 9 holes in 1886).

ian

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 11:30:04 AM »
Adam,

You can look up the reference in both the Centenery history put out by Royal Montreal (1973). The opening is very well researched and well written.

One of the 1918 Canadian Golfer magazine has an article on the origins of Canadian golf and is brash enough to suggest a date before that. But this newspaper advertisement is the first written proof, and is directly referenced in the magazine.

The oldest continuously played course in Canada is Niagara on the Lake (9 holes) still in play. They claim to be the oldest in continual play in North America too.

Your question is harder than it first appears, since almost all references are to "organized golfing societies" as opposed to "golf courses"

I listed Jericho, becuse it is likely the greatest loss to Canadian golf, and is a course almost no Canadians have ever heard of.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 06:15:51 PM by Ian Andrew »

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 12:02:43 PM »
I find this all very interesting. For me, the interest stems first from golf, but then to an attempt to consider golf's place in the larger scheme of things.

Why would people who don't play golf support the preservation of an old golf classic? Why would an non-golfer support the development of a new golf course? Or not?

It is partially for this connection to the larger world that I ask these questions. People respond to clear designations that transcend specific interest. For instance, I may not be interested in horse racing, but if someone tells me that such-and-such is the "third-oldest horse racing venue in the United States and that they need money for renovations" I'm more likely to donate. Likewise, if this place is threatened by a developer who wants to put in condos, I'm more likely to oppose it. The subject then is not really horses or the preservation of gambling, it is the preservation of history.

The sad truth is that most of us throw our energies for or against somethings - not based on deep understanding and education, but often for superficial and sentimental reasons. Therefore, it becomes important to consider these tiny threads which connect our game and interests to those of the larger world.

I am after such threads, as I begin to try to show non-golfing readers the importance of this game and its history. This can only be accomplished through establishing connections. Between "us" and "them". History is a good place to start.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 12:04:18 PM by Adam_F_Collins »

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 12:06:43 PM »
What was the first inland course that we know of? Who designed that one? Is it still around?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 12:07:03 PM by Adam_F_Collins »

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 12:41:41 PM »
From an article by Reid Nelson in an old copy of the 1991 Ryder Cup Program.  The first half of the article speaks about golf in the NY state area, then, in the half below, it speaks of Charleston...

Several historic notations – in the public press, in tax records, in personal estate records and in commercial documents – give evidence that golf was played in America more than 100 years before the founding of St. Andrews.  Ironically, records indicated that golf may have first been played in America in Charleston, South Carolina - a few miles from the site of this year’s Ryder Cup Matches (Kiawah Island).

Dr. George C. Rogers Jr., professor of history at the University of South Caroline in Columbia, did extensive research into the subject and documented his findings in an essay entitled, “The History of Golf in South Carolina in the Late 18th Century.”  The essay was included in a book copyrighted in 1980, entitled the Carolina Lowcountry – Birthplace of American Golf 1786.

As Rogers uncovered in his research, the South Carolina Golf Club was founded in Charleston in 1796.  The Announcement of the formation of the South Carolina Golf Club was contained in The Southern States Ephemeris: or the North and South Carolina and Georgia Almanac for the year of our Lord 1788, possibly the longest book title in history.

The Almanac listed only the simple announcement that the club had been formed and listed as officers “Dr. Purcell, President; Edward Penman, vice-president; James Gardner, treasurer and secretary.”  The Reverend Dr. Henry Purcell was the rector of St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, Penman and Gairdner (the correct spelling through different from the way it appeared in the Almanac) merchants who owned stores in the busy port city.

Through the Almanac listed the formation of the South Carolina Golf Club in 1786, it was newspaper announcements that provided the most information about the club over the next few years.  Rogers found an item in the Charleston City Gazette or the Daily Advertiser of May 28, 1788 that requested members of the club to meet on Harleston’s Green, an expansive public area, “this day, the 28th” according to the club regulations, before adjourning to Williams’ coffee house to attend to club business.

Similar announcements continue to appear in the newspapers, with advertisements of the South Carolina Golf Club’s anniversary meeting appearing on Sept 28 and 29 through 1793.  Then, in 1795, the notice in the paper gave added insight into the club’s status as it announced the anniversary of the GOLF CLUB will be held on Saturday next (October 17) at the Club House on Harleston’s Green…”  For the first time, an announcement had not called for members to gather at Williams’ coffee house, instead making reference to a golf club house.  Was this the first of its kind in America?  Interestingly, it was not long after that that announcements concerning the area golf clubs ceased.  The last known announcement of a meeting of the South Carolina Golf Club appeared on October 19, 1799.  Mention of the Savannah Golf Club last appeared in print in November 1811, although printed invitations to the club’s New Year’s Eve Ball have been uncovered.

Why did these golf clubs in Charleston and Savannah enjoy a period of prosperity, then disappear?  Speculation is that with growth, more and more people and horses traversed the public areas like Harleston Green.  Obviously, it became increasingly difficult to play golf in these public parks.

So, do historians dismiss theses early accounts because the clubs apparently disbanded?  And that raises another question: Does a club have to operate continually to be recognized as the first, or is the first to exist credited as such, regardless of its longevity.

So was it Charleston South Carolina or Yonkers, New York that gave birth to golf in America?  “The question seems only to spawn more questions, rather than elicit any clear answer.

But while you’re thinking about that one…  Did we mention Andrew Johnston, one of four brothers who came to South Carolina before 1730?  When he died in 1759, the inventory of his estate listed “twelve goof sticks and balls.”  Was he America’s first golfer?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 12:43:47 PM by Mike Vegis @ Kiawah »

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 12:57:34 PM »
Good stuff, Mike

I have here a book by David Stirk on Golf History which reads:

"In 1743 David Deas of Charleston, South Carolina...ordered from 96 golf clubs and 432 balls..."

It goes on to site a bill of lading as evidence of the order and further:

"Other shipments, from Glasgow to Virginia in 1750 and 1751, account for a further 72 clubs and 576 balls, and in 1765 18 clubs and 144 balls went from Glasgow to Maryland...it is interesting that the Charleston Club is of an earlier date than the Honorable Company..."
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 12:58:03 PM by Adam_F_Collins »

Ken Fry

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 03:06:21 PM »
Gentlemen,

The first GOLF COURSE in the US was built in 1884 in White Sulphur Springs, WV named Oakhurst.

There existed golfing associations, such as Mike mentioned in South Carolina, but they played in "park" settings with no definable course.  "Courses" were set up prior to each playing.

St. Andrews in Yonkers claims they were the first course in the US, but Oakhurst beat it by 4 years.  Oakhurst was built in 1884, then the Dorset Club in 1886, Foxburg Country Club in Pennsylvania had a few holes laid out as early as 1885 but became a five hole course in 1887 and 9 holes in 1888 which is when St. Andrews opened.  St. Andrews can lay claim to the oldest continously operating club.  The first 18 hole course then popped up in Chicago in 1894, Chicago Golf Club.

There's a good book written by Paula Diperna and Vikki Keller (Vikki is the current owner of Oakhurst's daughter) about the history of Oakhurst.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 04:13:23 PM »
Tom,

You asked, "Is Burnett's list the oldest golf clubs or the oldest golf courses...I wouldn't have thought they were playing golf at Bethpage prior to the first golf course in Scotland. I wasn't aware the Duke of York ever traveled to N.America..."

This is a list, according to Burnett, of when these golfing Associations were founded. He based some of it upon when the courses were built. That is why I pointed out the discrepancy with Kingsbarns as it was founded as a golfing association, including official blazers, in 1793.

The Duke of York learned about golf during atrip to Scotland and brought it back to Englan where he taught the royal court to play in 1680. Due to the popularity of the game, he was given a trip to the colonies as a reward. It is during this trip in 1688 that he met with Thomas Powell, the founder of Bethpage itself, and when he showed Powell and Thomas Dongan how to play.

The records for this trip can be found in the New York State Archives in Albany, and were written about in several articles in the Farmingdale Post in 1935 when Bethpage opened.

What's really neat is that this trip went very well for Dongan. He was rewarded by the Duke with an appointment as the Earl of Limerick and it is he that is credited with inventing the little ditties! So apropos when you comsider all the limericks written with golf as a theme.

T_MacWood

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 05:00:57 PM »
Phil
The Duke of York, aka King James II of England, aka James VII of Scotland, was a Stuart and of Scotish decent.  I am 99% sure he never traveled to N.America  (he sent his surrogates to run the place; that was very dangerous voyage especially for an heir to the throne). James II was sitting on the throne in 1688 and couldn't have been playing Bethpage at that time. He suceeded his late brother Charles as king.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 05:10:43 PM by Tom MacWood »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 06:54:41 PM »
Tom,

As usual you provide interesting insights and remind me again why I enjoy history and the fun of research so much.

You wrote, "James II was sitting on the throne in 1688 and couldn't have been playing Bethpage at that time."

There are three sources for the 1688 date that I have seen, and yet they may all be incorrect; on the date, though not the visit.

One of the "official histories" of Thomas Dongan states:
"Thomas Dongan
Second Earl of Limerick, b. 1634, at Castletown Kildrought, now Celbridge, County Kildare, Ireland; d. at London, 1715. He was the youngest son of Sir John Dongan, Baronet, Member of the Irish Parliament; an uncle, Richard Talbot, was afterwards created Earl of Tyrconnel, Lieutenant-Governor of Ireland; and another, Sir Robert, married Grace, daughter of Lord Calvert, Baron of Baltimore. At the death of Charles I, the family, devoted to the Stuarts, removed to France. Thomas served in an Irish regiment, participated in all Turenne's campaigns under the name of D'Unguent and rose to the rank of colonel in 1674. After the Treaty of Nimeguen (1678) he returned to England in obedience to the order of the English Government recalling all British subjects in French service. Through the Duke of York, a fellow-officer under Turenne, he was appointed to high rank in the army designated for service in Flanders, and was granted an annual pension of £500. The same year (1678) he was appointed Lieutenant-Governor of Tangiers. In 1682 the Duke of York, the Lord Proprietor, selected Dongan to govern the Province of New York, then bankrupt and in a state of rebellion. In this office Dongan proved himself an able lawgiver, and left an indelible mark on political and constitutional history. He convened the first representative assembly of New York Province on 14 Oct., 1683, at Fort James within the present boundaries of the city of New York. This assembly, under the wise supervision of Dongan, passed an act entitled "A Charter of Liberties"; decreed that the supreme legislative power under the Duke of York shall reside in a governor, council, and the people convened in general assembly; conferred upon the members of the assembly rights and privileges making them a body coequal to and independent of the British Parliament; established town, county, and general courts of justice; solemnly proclaimed the right of religious liberty; and passed acts enunciating certain constitutional liberties, e.g. no taxation without representation; taxes could be levied only by the people met in general assembly; right of suffrage; no martial law or quartering of the soldiers without the consent of the inhabitants; election by majority of votes; and the English law of real property.
Thus to Dongan's term as governor can be dated the Magna Charta of American constitutional liberties, for his system of government became the programme of continuous political agitation by the colonists of New York Province during the eighteenth century. It developed naturally into the present state government, and many of its principles passed into the framework of the Federal Government. Moreover, a rare tribute to his genius, the government imposed by him on New York Province, 1683, was adopted by England after the American War of Independence as the framework of her colonial policy, and constitutes the present form of government in Canada, Australia, and the Transvaal. Dongan signed the Charter of Liberties 30 Oct., 1683, and on the following day solemnly proclaimed it at the City Hall of New York City. The Duke of York signed and sealed the Charter 4 Oct., 1684; but never returned it, probably for reasons of prudence, for at the time Charles II had, by a quo warranto proceeding, abolished the Charters of New England, and the Charter of Pennsylvania granted in 1684 distinctly admits the right of Parliament to tax the colonies. Dongan established the boundary lines of the province by settling disputes with Connecticut on the East, with the French Governor of Canada on the North, with Pennsylvania on the South, thus marking out the present limits of New York State. By treaty with the Indians made at Albany, New York, 1684, in presence of Lord Howard, Governor of Virginia, Dongan obtained the written submission of the Iroquois to the Great Sachem Charles, on two white deer-skins, and outlined the masterly Indian policy which kept the Five Nations friends of England and a barrier between the English and French possessions in North America, a policy afterwards maintained with success by Sir William Johnson. At the death of Charles II, 1685, James Duke of York was proclaimed king, and New York became a royal province."

The documents that state 1688 refer to the Duke of York being in the colonies and signing this document. This would appear reasonable as the city and what would become the state of New York were named after him and not just the office, and this naming is supposed to have been the action of his good friend Dongan as well.

So it appears that the date will have to be refined to 1684 rather than 1688. That'll teach me to respect some dumb golf writer!   ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 06:55:58 PM by Philip Young »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back